Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV flakey with wireless-N but solid with wireless-G

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crcucb

crcucb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

"Playback Failed. No audio/video data packets received from server" when using a wireless N router, but wireless G works great.

About 6 months ago I purchased a second HD DVR (HR23) and installed in my master bedroom. I read a wireless N router is needed for the Multi Room Viewing (MRV) via wireless so I purchased a Cisco Linksys WRT160n V3 and a Cisco-Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter to connect to my HR23 in my Master Bedroom.

My Living room is a HR20 and that is connected to the same router but it's wired.

The MRV Playback worked but it was sometimes flakey. MRV played better when I was in my Master Bedroom with my HR23 and watching content on the HR20. However when in my living room watching my HR20 and content off the HR23 it would be laggy and sometimes hang up (if I hit the skip forward or skip back a few times).

Then my WRT160n router started acting up. So I swapped it with my old Linksys WRTP54G (Wireless G router), set it up, and guess what? The MRV was so much better. Hardly any lag, no hang ups (with hitting the skip forward or skip back a few times).

I just replaced that router with TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. And the MRV is behaving similar to when I had my WRT160n. I have tweaked wireless settings:

Tried 11bgn mixed with everyting on auto
Tried 11bgn mixed with channels, width and Max TX rate specified.
tried 11bgmixed with everything on auto
tried 11g only with a Max TX rate specified (54 mbps).

So far I haven't gotten the same results with MRV than when I did with my non wireless-N router.

Any ideas on how to get MRV to perform just as (short of installing my old WRTP54G) ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

Which game adapter do you have? How far is the adapter from the router? What else do you have that's wireless on your network?

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:22 AM

Honestly you really should switch your system over to DECA and SWiM. The difference is night and day and you don't have to deal with the issues involved with wireless. I tried all types of wireless configurations but nothing worked perfectly. My life it much easier now.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

If you do want to stay with wireless, try third-party firmware on your router if it's out of warranty. I found that there was decreased range with the WRT160n. It's not capable of dual-band, which gives the best performance on 802.11n devices, and out of the box I think it's underpowered. DD-WRT lets you adjust the transmission power and that helped me a lot.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Directvlover

Directvlover

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Honestly you really should switch your system over to DECA and SWiM. The difference is night and day and you don't have to deal with the issues involved with wireless. I tried all types of wireless configurations but nothing worked perfectly. My life it much easier now.

I agree...ever since DECA, I've not had a single problem. With wireless it was a daily thing where i'd have to reboot something. Just get DECA and be done with it.

#6 OFFLINE   crcucb

crcucb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

What do I need for DECA? Would I have to swap out my DVR's?

My wireless adaptor is WET610N-RM. It's on the second floor, my router is on the first floor. Like I said with my WRTP54G router the MRV worked great. I have a hard time beleiving I can't get it to work just as good if not better with a newer wireless-N router.

These are some singal settings I have in my new router:
Transmit Power: High
Beacon Interval : 100
RTS Threshold: 2346
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
DTIM Interval: 1
Enable WMM is checked
Enable Short GI is not selectible
Enable AP Isolation is unchecked

#7 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

My wireless adaptor is WET610N-RM. It's on the second floor, my router is on the first floor. Like I said with my WRTP54G router the MRV worked great. I have a hard time beleiving I can't get it to work just as good if not better with a newer wireless-N router.

These are some singal settings I have in my new router:
Transmit Power: High
Beacon Interval : 100
RTS Threshold: 2346
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
DTIM Interval: 1
Enable WMM is checked
Enable Short GI is not selectible
Enable AP Isolation is unchecked

Since you are trying to use wireless networking, go into your router (use your browser to connect to its configuration page), and see what the signal level is from/to that device. Then, move either the 610N or your router, or both back and forth to maximize the signal reading you are getting. Try all sorts of different positions of the devices and orientation of their antennas. Going between floors is often harder than longer distances on the same floor.

My main computer systems are in the basement, including my dsl modem. I ran a 25' cable from the basement up to the home theater location, so I could put the wireless N router on the same level, and closer to the devices that use it. I have a WET610N on my HR20-100 and the distance is about 80'. It works OK, but if someone walks down the hall, it will cause the signal to break up.

BTW, I second (or third) the suggestion to look very seriously at DECA if MRV means a lot to you. Wireless is just not good enough in most circumstances, and even wired ethernet was not as good as DECA. If you can afford to take advantage of SWiM/DECA, do so. It only takes a phone call to find out what it would cost..

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#8 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Both wireless-G and N were flaky with my network MRV setup. Much happier now with a DECA setup. All HR2x HD-DVR's are DECA compatible.

DECA First Look

:)

#9 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

No, you will not need to switch DVR's.

Give DirecTV a call and they will fix you up. Might only cost you about $50 if you talk to them nicely. :)

#10 OFFLINE   Lanthom

Lanthom

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Both wireless-G and N were flaky with my network MRV setup. Much happier now with a DECA setup. All HR2x HD-DVR's are DECA compatible.

DECA First Look

:)

I made the switch from Wireless-G to DECA and couldn't be happier. With Wireless-G HD just did not happen and SD was good when it worked but that was rare as for some reason the box connected to the wireless router would constantly lose connection and we would have to restart the program.

Now with DECA HD comes through as if it was on the box I'm sitting at. The only issue is about a 10-15 second delay sometimes upon first loading a program.

#11 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

If you do want to stay with wireless, try third-party firmware on your router if it's out of warranty. I found that there was decreased range with the WRT160n. It's not capable of dual-band, which gives the best performance on 802.11n devices, and out of the box I think it's underpowered. DD-WRT lets you adjust the transmission power and that helped me a lot.

The WRT610n is capable of dual bands. Mine is currently broadcasting both bands as we speak/type.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

The WRT610n is capable of dual bands. Mine is currently broadcasting both bands as we speak/type.

Dyslexic? :D

#13 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Dyslexic? :D

Either that or reading comprehension has gone in the toilet. :blush:

This is what I get for posting in a thread immediately after posting in one about the 610.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#14 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

I also suggest that you go the DECA route. If you call and ask for the Internet Connection Kit you may get lucky and be quoted around $76.00 (depending on taxes) and they will install everything needed to bring the whole home up to current standards. For me it was a new antenna, SWiM connector, three DECA units and a fourth DECA with a Power Inserter. Not bad for $76.00.

As someone posted earlier be nice. Also know in advance what any wiring plan you might need to get a cable or service to your computer.

#15 OFFLINE   crcucb

crcucb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Thank you all for the information.

I am trying to go the DECA route. Since I have the "Whole Home Service" already enabled (allowing me to watch content from one HD DVR to the other over my home network), they are having a problem submitting the order. The system doesn't allow them to add a whole home service with the equipment to an account that already has the whole home service.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...