Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Got an HR22 and Two R22's....MRV?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Arkapigdiesel

Arkapigdiesel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

According to the D* rep I spoke with on the phone I need an HD DVR (got that) and at least one other HD receiver. Is that correct? I thought I only needed one HD DVR and that my R22's were DECA compatible? I've already got SWM hooked up.

Few more questions....

1. Is there an online diagram that shows how the DECA system is hooked up?
2. Do I need to run an ethernet line from my router for MRV to work, OR is the ethernet only for On Demand?
3. I would like to install this myself......do I just need the DECA box, DECA power supply, and a band stop filter for each DECA box?
4. DECA power supply.....one power supply for each DECA box, or does that power supply send juice to all the DECA boxes?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope this hasn't been asked before.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

For DirecTV to enable the MRV you need a HD DVR and at least 1 other HD device. Unfortunately, DirecTV's system considers the R22 a SD device even tho it functions like a HD device on an account with HD enabled. Last I read this prevented them from enabling MRV in a situation like yours.

2. A deca cloud can be completely self contained. Internet connection is only required for On-demand tv apps and other stuff like that.

3. If you want to install yourself you can do it using Ethernet too.

4. 1 power supply per deca box.

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

Sorry to say, but you would need to add on HD receiver to get them to activate MRV.
DECA would need a SWiM dish and then a DECA for each receiver plus another with a PI to bridge to your home network for internet.
For the cost of these [retail] I'd go with the DirecTV connected home upgrade [$99 + service call charge] and look to have them install a H24 at the same time, since this package might get a better price.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

The member's diagram in this post should help those who have a mix of old and new DVRs. Notice only the DECA for broadband needs a power supply (the power inserter for SWM is something different).

Also, I read in some thread that a CSR was able to temporarily change an R22 on a customer's account to an HR22 (and change it back) in order to enable MRV and order DECA; try a forum search, or just use VOS's suggestion about adding an H24.
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

spam firewall