Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Unclear how Mediashare Works

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

I got my DECA install finished today after a second install, see this thread for that: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=179978
All my DECA's are connected, all have green lights, the receivers say they are connected to the internet, but I'm have a few problems. I've got DirecTV2PC working, but am having trouble using the mediashare feature.

I can go to mediashare under the main menu:
Posted Image

The receiver finds my computer, it even see's some videos, but some have X's next to them.

Posted Image

But the ones with the video camera symbol wont play either.

Posted Image

Do I need to try one of these programs?
TVersity
Twonky
MediaTomb (Linux and Mac)
Playon

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Get Tversity set up on your PC. It'll transcode those videos, like Big Love, to play to your HR2x.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

installing now.

Should those videos with a camera beside them play without having to install TVersity?

#4 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

installing now.

Should those videos with a camera beside them play without having to install TVersity?

Probably not. Tversity plays a lot, unless they're very high bitrates. It looks like you enjoy torrents, so you'll be set. Be warned, you can't FFW, REW, etc with media share movies. Honestly, the HR2x aren't great for media streaming.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

I would say mediashare is not very good at all. I tried it but ended up getting a acer revo for a htpc that runs Boxee. If you have a spare pc/mac laying around definately go that way. You will be much happier.

I seem to remember that you could not even pause a movie using mediashare. If you did, it would not start correctly.
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

Yea, sadly, Media Share is pretty terrible. As mentioned, pausing a movie is just asking for trouble. You're better off streaming through an Xbox 360 or something along those lines.

#7 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

Still having trouble with it, even with TVersity. I'm new to this whole networking mess, so I'll forget about it for a while to see D* makes any improvements to it.

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

If you convert the video to MPEG2, with a bitrate of ~5 Mbps or less, it should play fairly well. Transport stream (TS) is required if the audio is DD5.1. My Samsung Blu-ray player does a much better job, however I use media share to view videos on my other TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...