Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN snags 12 year ACC exclusive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:00 AM

According to today's SkyReport, ESPN has reached an agreement with the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) giving the sports programming giant exclusive rights to every conference-controlled football and men’s basketball game, plus women’s basketball and Olympic sports matchups, and conference championships for 12 years stretching from 2011-12 through 2022-23.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:15 AM

They made a similar agreement with the SEC last year.

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

Maybe they're trying to justify their very high carriage rates by putting content on now besides the Lebron Lovefest 2010. :D

College sports has a strong following in many parts of the country, so this is likely a good investment on their part.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:32 AM

This is at least the third conference they have a long term agreement with. The SEC,ACC and I think the Big East. I wonder if they will add another channel so they can get all these games on the air? ESPN4?

#5 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

And finally, it looks like they will eliminate the Raycom blackouts!!! For those not in ACC country, Raycom Sports has been a longtime partmern with the ACC, but they do not have the resources or at least the commitment that ESPN does in the technology area. THey were years late getting Stereo broadcasts, their graphics have always been way behind, their annonce crews were always different and then they only started doing full time HD last year! Many times ESPN would broadcast a game in HD that was alse Raycom and we would get blackout out of HD and have to see the crappy Raycom feed.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, except now that Raycom has gone HD... it means we wll only be getting 720p from ESPN instead of the 1080i we were getting from Raycom via WRAL.

Although, I suppose those other games that were on 5.2 in SD might be on ESPNU or ESPN2 in HD or something.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

ESPN does have a deal with SEC, but not an exclusive one(thank god). They will still air games on CBS.
my setup here

#8 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

Yeah, except now that Raycom has gone HD... it means we wll only be getting 720p from ESPN instead of the 1080i we were getting from Raycom via WRAL.

Although, I suppose those other games that were on 5.2 in SD might be on ESPNU or ESPN2 in HD or something.

I was never able to compare the games to see if the quality was better, so who knows. Is it for sure that Raycom broadcasts in 1080i?

Also, I think they will still be carried on Raycom, from what I am reading, so hopefully we will have the best of both worlds, a choice!

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

I was never able to compare the games to see if the quality was better, so who knows. Is it for sure that Raycom broadcasts in 1080i?

Also, I think they will still be carried on Raycom, from what I am reading, so hopefully we will have the best of both worlds, a choice!

There is a guy on AVSForum who works with the Raycom folks (one of the audio guys) and I'm pretty sure I remember it being confirmed that they were doing 1080i. In fact, that was part of the reason why some affiliates weren't able to immediately start accepting the Raycom HD broadcasts if they were 720p stations, unlike we have in WRAL.

Hopefully we will have a choice. Like I said, it's a mixed feeling for me. I like the Raycom broadcasts now that they are in HD.. but whenever there are multiple games on at the same time, maybe now one of the ESPN channels will carry that.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...