Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Please help! Network connected, but no internet (22). Yet, I can download VOD?!!?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Newski208

Newski208

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

Just had MRV installed a few weeks ago. My MRV works great. I can even download VOD, but very slowly mind you....When I run the network test, I can never get the internet to say connected only network (error 22). I've rebooted dvr's and my modem and router. I've looked up diagrams of DECA hook ups. Checked to make sure the DECA going to router was good by changing it out. I have no idea. Any help would be great thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

I'm afraid I'd need to be a mind reader to offer help.
Could you post some more information about what you have?
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

Well actually... I am that mind reader:

Translation:

DECA is working, as he can can do MRV
DECA -> Internet is working; because he can download DOD

TVApps and Network Services are throwing an Error 22...

Correct?

First question:
- What is your ISP?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Newski208

Newski208

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

AT&T. I'm using a 2Wire Modem in Bridge Mode to Linksys WRT54G.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

Why are you using the bridge mode?
I have a 2Wire and haven't needed to change any of the default settings.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Newski208

Newski208

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

Why are you using the bridge mode?
I have a 2Wire and haven't needed to change any of the default settings.

The Wifi range on the 2-Wire I have is limited. I get a better wifi signal throughout my house from linksys. You can't connect a router to the 2wire without going into bridge mode from my knowledge. All bridge mode basically does it turns off DHCP and makes my 2wire just a modem not a router. I let my linksys do that. (the routing)

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

The Wifi range on the 2-Wire I have is limited. I get a better wifi signal throughout my house from linksys. You can't connect a router to the 2wire without going into bridge mode from my knowledge. All bridge mode basically does it turns off DHCP and makes my 2wire just a modem not a router. I let my linksys do that. (the routing)

Makes sense. Bridging basically disables the router and leaves just the modem.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

OK so maybe the next question is do you have any personalized settings for the Directv boxes like static IP, port forwarding or Upnp settings in router. Have you manually setup your Directv network settings or are you using DHCP.

I've found for my routers that I've tried, I can use either. DHCP is simple, just go to Directv main menu/Network Network setup and select restore defaults (bottom option), then connect (top option). But make sure you've removed any router settings that apply to the Directv boxes. One of threads here had a problem that wasn't cleared-up until router was reset and power removed for at least 30 seconds. Are you familiar with the router hard reset method (30-30-30 second reset with power/no power/power applied)? Warning: this will remove all personalized settings; most routers allow you to backup the settings but you may be better off starting from scratch.

I think the networks are more to blame than anything and there's so many methods and routers, it's difficult to sort the problems unless someone with the same setup/router (and maybe even ISP applies also) chimes in with a solution that works.

#9 ONLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

Sounds like some sort of interfernce that is knocking the wireless off the air. Try changing channels and use WPA2 personal) for the encryption modes.

#10 OFFLINE   stp147

stp147

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

I have a similar problem that has cropped up recently.

Equipment
1 - HR24-500
1 - HR21-200
2 - H24-100
AT&T U-verse RG - 2Wire 3800HGV-B, DHCP enabled
SWM, DECA install

Services
MRV Working
DirecTv On-Demand Working
TV Apps Not Working
Error 22

I've RBR'd all receivers and power cycled the router. The configuration had been working up until recently (not sure when it went out specifically).

Any help appreciated.

#11 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

A shot in the dark. Every time I boot my PC my Commodo firewall alerts me that someone is trying to connect to my PC. That someone is my DTV system. Perhaps your firewall is blocking your connection. Check your network connections in Control Panel and see if you have DIRECTV*** listed. I don't remember the exact name but there are four or five and they all start with DIRECTV.

#12 OFFLINE   stp147

stp147

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

I haven't changed any of my firewall settings since it was last working. Also the router firewall is running the defaults from AT&T (remember it can still connect to download VOD). It has been working without a hitch since I had the SWM/MRV/DECA install back in May, until now. :confused:

Update I have the diagnostic codes from all of the receivers (from the test in the main menu) if that helps in any way.

HR24-500 - 71-965
HR21-200 - 71-73-827 (side note, this is the only receiver that doesn't have a phone line plugged in and part of the error is the phone connection)
H24-100 - 71-040
H24-100 - 71-847

#13 OFFLINE   Newski208

Newski208

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

I fixed everything. It was something to do with my DNS server not being able to contact the DTV servers. All I did was use an OPENDNS address instead of my default ISP DNS. I did this by adding the DNS address to the router itself & Restore Defaults on DVR and reconnect.

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

I fixed everything. It was something to do with my DNS server not being able to contact the DTV servers. All I did was use an OPENDNS address instead of my default ISP DNS. I did this by adding the DNS address to the router itself & Restore Defaults on DVR and reconnect.

Newski...

I sent you a PM, with some specific tests to try.
If you can revert back to your old setup, and try those and send me the results.

I am very intrested in the results.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

I have the EXACT same scenario. VOD works, but I get the 22 error. I venture to guess that AT&T is somehow blocking the test from working or their DNS is screwed up.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

#16 OFFLINE   p3pilot

p3pilot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

I also have AT&T and have seen the same problem with DNS. I have gone to all my receivers and manually entered the IP Address for OpenDNS servers. This seems to keep everything working for me.

Just noticed that my 2-Wire router is now back to using AT&T DNS servers. I had changed them to OpenDNS before and things were working normally.

#17 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

This is an AT&T DNS problem. I changed the DNS to google DNS 8.8.8.8 and now the internet test works.

My previous DNS setup was using AT&T (68.94.156.1 and 151.164.8.201). With that it failed.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

#18 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:40 PM

I have the EXACT same scenario. VOD works, but I get the 22 error. I venture to guess that AT&T is somehow blocking the test from working or their DNS is screwed up.

Maybe you are on to something. The Error 22 started affecting me yesterday and has dropped my STB's one at a time. I, also am on ATT and everything has been working perfectly until yesterday. I have rebooted and reset router to factory specs then rebuilt to no avail. I thought it was my router (Airport Extreme) at first but when I go straight to DSL modem, I get the same results. I have taken DECA out of the loop and still get the error 22. I can live with the error but I do miss TVApps a little. Hopefully, it will magically appear in a week or so.

If you do find a fix, let us know.

#19 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

This is an AT&T DNS problem. I changed the DNS to google DNS 8.8.8.8 and now the internet test works.

My previous DNS setup was using AT&T (68.94.156.1 and 151.164.8.201). With that it failed.

Good idea. I just changed my DNS settings on my router to OpenDNS and have regained the internet connectivity and TVApps on 3 of my STB's. I had to rerun the network setup and attempt to start Network services to get everything back to nornal.

Thanks for the ideas

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

AT&T here too without these errors.
Here is what my 2Wire has:
Primary Domain Name Server: 68.94.156.1
Secondary Domain Name Server: 68.94.157.1
A.K.A VOS