Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new MRV installation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jackdinla

jackdinla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

I am scheduled to have MRV installed next week. I do not have an internet router, only the DSL modem supplied by Verizon. I am not terribly interested in on demand features at this time. I just want to make sure that MRV will work without the internet connection AND can DECA be installed if I dont have a router? I may want to get a router in the future if I need it and I dont want to have to schedule another installation appointment.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

The DECA cloud is not dependant on you having any Internet connection. It is only necessary if you want the Internet connection to your D* units for VOD or replacing the phone connection to order ppv.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#3 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

I think what you need is a good router. Having that in place will most likely be a prerequisite to have what's been referred to as broadband DECA installed for VOD and TV-APPS.

There are two DECA solutions: Whole Home DVR (aka WHD) and WHD with Internet Connection Kit (aka WHD w/ICK). Not having a router would only mean the broadband DECA (Internet Connection Kit) would not be installed. BTW, the WHD with Internet Connection Kit is by request only AFAIK.

Is there Fry's store near you? There's recent thread about routers best for TV APPS and Directv in general to consult here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=180060

It really depends on if you want to spend the money for a router now or just do without it but at least you will get the DECA for MRV.

#4 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

If you don't have a router, you will have MRV working.
But by not having a router and not requesting the Internet Connection Kit, you will be missing the additional DECA unit when you do get the router and want VOD and TV apps.

When you pay for the whole home DVR installation, the ICK DECA unit will be included at no additional charge. So without the router, you will need to request the additional DECA unit at a later time and thus far, there's only a rare poster or two that states Directv has sent them one. They might charge you another installation fee.

#5 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

Looking to be proactive to make sure my MRV install goes OK this Friday- Please advise any deficiencies in the order:

I have:

3- HR23's w/AM21's
1- HR22 w/AM21
1- HR21
2- HR20-700's w/OTA
2- HR20-100's w/OTA

(not replacing my SAT-A55 since on seperate 30" dish)

After some haggling, they may replace my HR23's with 24's (depends on installer and troubleshooting).

Getting WHDS for $104 including tax (truck roll free).
Includes Internet connection kit per recent orders my DTV account.
Requested SWM-16 and CSR agreed.
I advised CSR about band stop filters for HR20-100's- he said they were not needed and had no notes in his system that they are needed. (I think this may be an issue on the install).

I asked CSR for installer and dispatcher's number and he could not provide me with such last Friday when I placed the order.

What am I missing, and/or what should I do to help achieve a smooth install?
Should there be some green dot components or not?

Thanks in advance for advice.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:26 PM

All SWiM-16s are green labeled.
The HR20-100s can either go with the splitter between the DECA and the HR, which doesn't need a bandstop filter, "or" if they mount the splitter before the DECA, then the SAT #1 needs the bandstop filter.
There are images of both configurations in the sticky about images above this thread.
All splitters need to have green labels too.
Other than this, it looks to be alright.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

Thanks man....appreciated.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

Thanks man....appreciated.

"The real work" will come after the install when you need to get it working. :lol:
We'll still be here for you. :)
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

"The real work" will come after the install when you need to get it working. :lol:
We'll still be here for you. :)

Other than the glitch on the SWiM 3LNB on work order with the SWiM-16 multi, everything up and running and still is at day 4. The SWiM-16 new out of the box had no output on #1, so the supervisor had to stop over and drop off a replacement. Thanks to you and this site for all the information to help along the way.

For $99 + Tax, I got:

3- HR24's to replace the slow HR23's which replaced my HR10's.
8- DECA's (1 of which is internet connect kit + power supply)
2- Band Stop Filters
2- SWiM-8 Splitters
1- SWiM-16 multiswitch + power supply

The HR24's Rock, I don't care who doesn't agree. The Wife is Happy and that's all that matters.

I noticed under Multi-room status is only lists up to 5 other DVR's, but no biggee. After being without Multi-room for 2 months now, I am back to feeling that joy again. DirecTV will be in our house for years to come.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...