Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15 tuner failing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jpsage

jpsage

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

While I am sure these are basic questions that have been answered many times, I have been crawling the forum the last two days and haven't found the answers.

My R15 No. 1 tuner is failing. The sensitivity is degrading on some channels. I called D* and he recommended subscribe to the protection plan. The rep said I could cancel for free in the first 30 days after that it would cost 10.00 to cancel. In reading the forums I think that I am paying 6.00 a month to save $20 s&h. Is that correct?

The second question is whether the USB port on the R15 works like the D10? I watch OTA HD programs on my Mythtv box and would like to record a few D* programs directly to that box. It would be worth the work to craft up the USB-to-Serial cables if it works. I had assumed that I would have to get a D10 to do this but if I can do it with one of my R15s it would be great.

Finally, I assume that when I request a replacement it will be another R15. Is there any difference between what I will receive if I order it from D* and pay the S&H or if I am enrolled in PP?

Thanks for any clarifications.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

While I am sure these are basic questions that have been answered many times, I have been crawling the forum the last two days and haven't found the answers.

My R15 No. 1 tuner is failing. The sensitivity is degrading on some channels. I called D* and he recommended subscribe to the protection plan. The rep said I could cancel for free in the first 30 days after that it would cost 10.00 to cancel. In reading the forums I think that I am paying 6.00 a month to save $20 s&h. Is that correct?

The second question is whether the USB port on the R15 works like the D10? I watch OTA HD programs on my Mythtv box and would like to record a few D* programs directly to that box. It would be worth the work to craft up the USB-to-Serial cables if it works. I had assumed that I would have to get a D10 to do this but if I can do it with one of my R15s it would be great.

Finally, I assume that when I request a replacement it will be another R15. Is there any difference between what I will receive if I order it from D* and pay the S&H or if I am enrolled in PP?

Thanks for any clarifications.

The protection plan cost is $5.99 a month. Do the math.

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

In reading the forums I think that I am paying 6.00 a month to save $20 s&h. Is that correct?

In the short term, yes. But you are also covered on your dish, alignments, switches, cables, connections, all that good stuff in the long term, a year to be specific. That is up to you if you think it is worth it. If you have a simple phase III dish with 2 lines running straight to your R15 and you are handy enough with a wrench then PP probably isn't for you. If you have several receivers and a complex setup like some of us, it may be right up your alley.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   jpsage

jpsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:19 AM

In the short term, yes. But you are also covered on your dish, alignments, switches, cables, connections, all that good stuff in the long term, a year to be specific. That is up to you if you think it is worth it. If you have a simple phase III dish with 2 lines running straight to your R15 and you are handy enough with a wrench then PP probably isn't for you. If you have several receivers and a complex setup like some of us, it may be right up your alley.

Matt1124,

Thank you, that was the kind of analysis I was looking for. When I move to HD in our new retirement (just 30 more months!) home the pp will be the answer. I did not think of all the things that could go wrong with the more complex systems.
john.

#5 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

My mom's old R15-100 tuners (both) are failing slowly. Sometimes if it's restarted the tuners will not work at all. Others they come and go. If I hit on the box near to the tuners it will briefly show the Searching For Signal. Bad thing is we have the PP. But my mom has the unit full of recordings. So getting a replacement is out of the question. Since we have no easy way to copy the shows over (100 hrs would take some time). To add to this. I can't afford to add another SD receiver.

Would D* access card dept. allow a switch from another UN-USED, nothing on it R15 for my broken R15. So I can deactivate and keep vs returning. The other is OWNED!
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

My mom's old R15-100 tuners (both) are failing slowly. Sometimes if it's restarted the tuners will not work at all. Others they come and go. If I hit on the box near to the tuners it will briefly show the Searching For Signal. Bad thing is we have the PP. But my mom has the unit full of recordings. So getting a replacement is out of the question. Since we have no easy way to copy the shows over (100 hrs would take some time). To add to this. I can't afford to add another SD receiver.

Would D* access card dept. allow a switch from another UN-USED, nothing on it R15 for my broken R15. So I can deactivate and keep vs returning. The other is OWNED!

I feel certain that the cards can not be moved once they have been activated.

I have seen some posts about copying and replacing hard drives in DVRs. Maybe one of those people can help you do that and save the Recordings already on there.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

Sort of. If you take the "protection plan", you can't use it for the first 30 days. Then you are stuck with it for a year whether you use it or not ($72) unless you want any benefit from it reversed and agree to pay the penalty cancellation fee.

A much better choice if your R15 is leased is to just request a replacement ($20 S & H). The replacement unit is guaranteed for 90 days.

The USB port on the R15 is a "control port". You can't transmit video over this port on any DirecTV receiver.

Not necessarily. It could be an R16. Whether you enroll in the PP or just pay the $20 S & H (if your receiver is leased) makes no difference-you will get another standard-definition DVR which most likely will be an R15 or R16.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

The tuner failing issue is well known for the DirecTiVo-type DVRs. Unfortunately, they haven't been manufactured in ages, so a replacement will result in a DirecTV DVR, and all of the changed usability.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#9 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:42 AM

I'll say this about the protection plan. It's only worth it if you can't afford a 60-80$ service call.

Directv usually gives you one free service call a year as a loyal customer. If your system is installed properly you really shouldn't need more than one service call a year (except for nature related problems).

However, Customers have said the over the phone support is a lot better with the PP.

Bottom line, the protection plan is insurance. You pay a little each month to save from paying a lot at one time.

edit: I bet they would get a lot more people to get it if it was 3$ a month...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...