Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWMline single receiver install help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drbenner39

drbenner39

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hi all,

I'm a newb to the satellite installation world, but have had enough encounters in other "tech" things so I felt inclined enough to tackle this project. Trying to set up a swmline system with a single HR22 receiver.

Components I have:

Slimline Dish with SWMline3 LNB
HR22 receiver
House with prewired RG6

Currently I have the dish wall mounted with a clear LOS at the correct azimuth elevation and tilt (based off both receiver reccomended settings and looking at other houses that have D*TV in the neighborhood). Single RG6 cable running from the LNB (probably around 40-50', runs from dish through a box outside in the wall upstairs to a central box in the 2nd floor master bedroom closet (house is prewired with Cat5 & RG6)), and have been attempting to just set everything up directly before I start splitting anything. However, I can't seem to get any signal at all. Even on 101 I get 0 for all transponders, which leads me to believe something isn't working correctly.

I know that its either the receiver settings, the cable, or the lnb, but I'm not experienced enough to know how to diagnose things and rule out one thing or the other.

Anyone able to help me out with maybe a step by step checklist I should run through to try and figure out the cause of the problem?

in Palmdale CA, and I have been led to believe I dont need the 5 LNB to pick up locals (so they don't broadcast on 119)

any other info you need to help please let me know. :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

I wouldn't trust eyeballing the Azimuth/Elevation although that might at least get you a starting place. I would suspect your dish isn't pointed right.

Personally when I've done my own (6 dishes now), I take a small TV and the Receiver out to the dish so I can have a direct shot with a single run of cable from the dish to the Receiver and peak the signal there (no ground blocks, no splitters, just a single wire from the LNB to my receiver). This immediately tells me the LNB is functioning and peaking the dish is so much easier if you don't have a meter.

Once you have a signal right, then you can move the receiver back to the Home Spot, hook the grounding block in place, and then if you don't have a signal then you know it's a problem in the wiring and not the electronics. Or you could move the receiver to each individual wire connection to make sure the signal is at least making it to that spot.

#3 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:02 AM

If you are using a SWM LNB I'm pretty sure you need to have a power inserter connected to the power passing port of a SWM splitter, even for testing and alignment.... without that, you will get 0 across the board. Besides that, eyeballing a slimline dish would be difficult.

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

Make sure your sat settings are set for SWM as well as having the PI powering the dish.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   drbenner39

drbenner39

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

Sorry I didn't give the full layout - The RG6 actually runs through a ground block/coupler (sorry not sure on the correct terminology), into the Power Inverter and then from the PI into the Receiver. I did a sweep with someone else watching the signal strength screen (Had the Receiver Set to Slimline 3 SWM (17), SWM, Dual and still got 0s up and down the board.

#6 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Set elevation and tilt to the numbers indicated for your zip code in satellite setup. (be sure you use the indicator line and not the edge of the mounting nut when setting elevation) Use a compass and pick a distant land mark that is on your azimuth line - move the dish horizontally until it points (feedhorn support arm) at that marker. Now set the receiver on one of the individual transponders on 101.

Depending on how well you set rough azimuth you may already have a signal. In any event adjust the azimuth slowly until you have a reading on 101 - should be able to obtain something in the 90s on the non-spot beam transponders. Once at that point tighten the bolts holding the dish to the mast and prepare to adjust using the fine adjustment screws for az and el. You should not have to adjust tilt as the 'spec' setting should do fine. It is best to use a transponder on 103c when doing fine adjustment.

You need to be able to see the TV screen while adjusting and make small, spaced adjustments as there is lag between adjustment and screen response.

#7 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

If it is a SWiM system, it needs to recognize that it is SWiM prior to attempting peaking. Ensure you have the PI-21 power inserter properly in line with the dish.

Ensure that the coax is connected to the satellite 1 port. Last plug in the power to the receiver. If everything is installed correctly, on startup the receiver will detect the SWiM system. It should auto-select SWM3 in the setup. If the Dish type option is not grayed out then it is not detecting the swim.

spam firewall