Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade to an H24

settings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ggmorton

ggmorton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hello all,
I ordered an H24 from Solid Signal to upgrade an old DRD435RH. I believe that I will need a B Band Converter. I don't think one is included with the receiver. The DirecTv rep I spoke to on the phone did not think that I will need one with the H24. I know that I do have a B Band Converter installed on my H20, but it could not be doing anything I guess.

SS says this:

H24 and HR24s installed on systems that DO NOT have a SWiM Switch require B-Band Converters

I know I only have 2 lines coming from the dish directly into my 2 receivers.

Will I need a B Band Converter for my H24?

Thanks!

PS: The DirecTv rep also said they would ship one to me free if I did need one. I was trying to get them to ship it now and cut out the delay.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,797 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

You'll need one if your H20 has one.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   ggmorton

ggmorton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Update. Yep. I needed one as I suspected.
The CS rep who activated my receiver still would not say I needed one. As soon as she transferred me to technical, they confirmed I needed one. They couldn't understand why they would say I didn't need one. At least they have a few sharps sticks in the bunch with the dull ones.

Now, I just have to wait on FedEx to deliver my BBC.

#4 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

Yes you need on B converter. I got the Hr-24 and use 2 B converters.
Marquitos

#5 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:29 AM

The CS rep who activated my receiver still would not say I needed one.

The CSR was probably thinking about SWM setups that do not require a BBC.

:)

#6 OFFLINE   ggmorton

ggmorton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

The CSR was probably thinking about SWM setups that do not require a BBC.

:)

I told them that some dishes require the BBC with the H24. I told them that I didn't have a SWM setup. They would look up something, and then say that the type of dish didn't matter at all. Just some wrong information or interpretation on their part. The tech support people had it correct however.

It probably has to do with the fact that in general the H24s are only being installed on upgrades with a SWM. Since I got my H24 outside of DirecTv channels, they can't comprehend the configuration I was going to have.

#7 OFFLINE   ggmorton

ggmorton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

Ok, I got my BBC today.

I'm seeing a weird issue, maybe someone can help me figure it out.

I installed the BBC on my H24. It can see all the channels, and works good from what I can tell. My H20 seems to be intermittently losing signal strength on Sat 99.

If I remove the BBC on my H24, then the H20 will return working without issue.

Any ideas what I can try to diagnose this.

Swap the receivers between rooms? Swap the two BBCs and see if the problem changes? The new BBC I received is one later rev than my old one.

#8 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

well the 23 models didn't need b-bands. maybe her logic is if the 23's didn't need em then the 24's probably don't.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:28 AM

well the 23 models didn't need b-bands. maybe her logic is if the 23's didn't need em then the 24's probably don't.

Thinking the very same thing - I bet you are correct.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Ok, I got my BBC today.

I'm seeing a weird issue, maybe someone can help me figure it out.

I installed the BBC on my H24. It can see all the channels, and works good from what I can tell. My H20 seems to be intermittently losing signal strength on Sat 99.

If I remove the BBC on my H24, then the H20 will return working without issue.

Any ideas what I can try to diagnose this.

Swap the receivers between rooms? Swap the two BBCs and see if the problem changes? The new BBC I received is one later rev than my old one.

Swap the two BBCs and see what happens. It's possible the the new one is defective. The next step would be to swap receiver locations.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall