Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Crazy Heart from Netflix on my player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Recently purchased the Sony S570 and the first BD played on it was Crazy Heart from NetFlix and it would only play with the bars on top and bottom.

Called NetFlix and we could not find a resolution and they sent me a replacement and my next in line, Season 1 of Mad Men.

The replacement still would not play properly and I tried the Mad Men, just for ****s and giggles, and it plays to the full screen.

Strange, huh??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

No, not strange. It's called Original Aspect Ratio (OAR). Not every movie is filmed in 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio, or "fill your screen," as you call it. Crazy Heart OAR is 2.35:1, or "bars on top and bottom."
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

sigma1914 -

thanx for that info; I will make sure to look for 1.78:1 as my preference.

BTW, I have a good friend that lives in Allen; he works at JCPenneys

EDIT: Darn, just went thru my NetFlix queue of movies to be sent to me and AVATAR is the only one in 1.78:1 OAR

Edited by hoophead, 13 July 2010 - 08:26 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:06 AM

Recently purchased the Sony S570 and the first BD played on it was Crazy Heart from NetFlix and it would only play with the bars on top and bottom.

That's a GOOD thing.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

Posted Image

Most action movies and "epic" landscape movies are filmed in 2.35:1, which will correctly display with bars on top and bottom on a 16:9 TV. Movies where the visuals aren't quite as important as the story (dramas & comedies) tend to use 1.85:1, which is almost exactly 16:9, and will fill the screen. And older movies (The Wizard of Oz, for example) were filmed in 1.33:1, so you'll have bars on the sides when you watch that.

All of that is normal and desirable, so that you are able to view the movie as the director intended, and not distorted or chopped up.

This is a good example of what you lose when "pan and scan" techniques are used to "fill the screen":

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...