Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Using a Switch for Router?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

Is it possible to use a switch between the DECA adapter and one of the receivers to hook my router's Internet connection into the DECA cloud? I've done a bit of reading and it seems possible, but I'm not sure. This would avoid having to buy a DECA power supply as well, correct?
SWiMline 3
  • HR24-200
  • R22-100
  • HR23-700

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

Of course right after I post I see this:
http://www.dbstalk.c...468#post2459468

This is exactly what I want to do, and it will make my install much simpler (although I understand it's not supported by D*).
SWiMline 3
  • HR24-200
  • R22-100
  • HR23-700

#3 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

I'd rather have the Internet connection to DECA cloud active for all boxes and not depending on that box nearest router to stay powered but a reboot has the potential to interrupt a number of services that may be in-progress on your other DVRs.

So have you already had a DECA upgrade/install and found you're missing the INTERNET CONNECTION KIT or are you just doing it all yourself?

I was just thinking you would need 4 DECAs and a PS for the broadband DECA. The cost for DECA h/w alone is $180 plus shipping & possible taxes while the supported install is running only $148 plus tax.

#4 OFFLINE   wlee69

wlee69

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

I do this at one of my TV's so that I can have the connection go to both my WII and Directv box. Works fine with no issues

#5 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

I do this at one of my TV's so that I can have the connection go to both my WII and Directv box. Works fine with no issues

I think you're referring to this type of DECA setup: http://www.dbstalk.c...290#post2468290 (see Living Room)

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, but it's definitely a "use at your own risk" sort of thing.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

I'd tend to not only agree...but add that I've seen as many problems created as solved with switches being introduced into a home network for video/audio transfer.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

Since I previously had the ETHERNET ran to two HD-DVRs, it was simple to add the Blu-Ray to network using existing ETHERNET and leaving DECA dedicated for Directv only. The DVRs have enough problems seeing and maintaining the UPL and all the other things intended for DECA with INTERNET connection to risk other devices crowding DECA bandwidth.

While packet collisions are unlikely, the DVRs have their own set of priorities so I think it's possible that unwanted traffic in the DECA cloud like HD streaming to a BDP from the web could actually slow remote response of the DVRs. It's about as bad using the second ETHERNET port on the HRx to get INTERNET to another device.

#9 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm going to take my chances for now and if it doesn't work out, I'll get another DECA. This is a self install.
SWiMline 3
  • HR24-200
  • R22-100
  • HR23-700

#10 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:01 AM

Just want to let everyone know that the DECA setup described above has been working flawlessly. Thanks for the help everyone.
SWiMline 3
  • HR24-200
  • R22-100
  • HR23-700

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:45 AM

Just want to let everyone know that the DECA setup described above has been working flawlessly. Thanks for the help everyone.

Very good news!!
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...