Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

George Steinbrenner has passed !

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

Fox News and AP have just reported that George Steinbrenner has just died in Tampa Fl.He apparently had a heart attack Monday night and died today.He was 80 years old.

RIP George ! : (

Edited by Jimmy 440, 13 July 2010 - 08:00 AM.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

RIP Boss

#3 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

From WABC NY

http://abclocal.go.c...news&id=7551966

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#4 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

ESPN is reporting this as well. For all the good things and the bad that he did for baseball, what I will remember him for is this: there will never be a more generous owner in any professional sport. Every year when the Red Sox hold their annual "Jimmy Fund" telethon to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute he was always one of the biggest contributors. For that at least I will miss him.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

WOW - Big news for the Big Apple.

Never was a fan of his, nor his practices of throwing money at a problem...

But he did contribute to baseball in many ways, and I'm sure many will miss him as they should.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

The thing I Like about George Steinbrenner is he wanted a winner and stopped at hardley nothing to please his fans and try to put the best out on the ballfield. Many mulit-million and some even Multi-Billion dollar owners in the game today only care about profit. George actually cared about winning. That's what it should be all about.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

Love him or hate him, he certainly changed the game. Bill Madden's recent bio, Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball, certainly proved to be a timely book.

Edited by Steve, 13 July 2010 - 09:14 AM.

/steve

#8 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,046 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

terrible loss for baseball.

RIP

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,368 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

He was different...RIP

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,571 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:39 AM

George Steinbrenner...RIP. You were an awesome owner who built champions. Yanks will win number 28 for you.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • Locationnorth east pa

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

RIP Boss. baseball will miss you.

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

The thing I Like about George Steinbrenner is he wanted a winner and stopped at hardley nothing to please his fans and try to put the best out on the ballfield. Many mulit-million and some even Multi-Billion dollar owners in the game today only care about profit. George actually cared about winning. That's what it should be all about.

Exactly. Those old enough to remember how, e.g., Charlie Finley attempted to sell-off Oakland's stars to the highest bidders in the 70's can appreciate that Steinbrenner was the first owner in sports I can recall who re-invested his profits on players, instead of lining his pockets with $$$.

His main flaw, IMO, was his propensity to interfere with his GM's, and insist they somtimes acquire "trophy" free agents that were past their primes. In recent years, Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson come to mind. It's a scary thought, but the Yankees might have been even more successful had he just written the checks and let his GM's make the final decisions on personnel. Just my .02.
/steve

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

I've been listening to the CNN summary of the announcement. Sorry Yankee fans...

Other than (almost single-handedly) driving up the overall cost of pro sports today through his near-uncontrolled salary spending, encouraging "loyalty by the dollar", making a mockery of his managers and GM's, and having no people skills, he was a great guy.

But he's gone now...so RIP.

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

I've been listening to the CNN summary of the announcement. Sorry Yankee fans...

Other than (almost single-handedly) driving up the overall cost of pro sports today through his near-uncontrolled salary spending, encouraging "loyalty by the dollar", making a mockery of his managers and GM's, and having no people skills, he was a great guy.

+1

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

While I'm certainly no Yankee fan, I tip my hat to one of the men who made baseball a vastly better sport by being involved in it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

Personally, I mourn the loss of Bob Sheppard much more than The Boss.

Having said that... The Boss changed the game, and that's a fact. Whether it's for better or worse, that's up to your personal opinion ...

And as a Yankee fan, I'm glad for the investment and the success.

#17 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

I think this is the fault of George Costanza feeding a man calzones everyday for lunch is a recipe for a heart attack.

On a serious note though rest in peace Mr. Steinbrenner for you helped make the game what it is today.

#18 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

Maybe Dish can get YES now..... ;)
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

Lest people forget, it was the landmark Curt Flood ruling that created free agency and loyalty to the dollar, and it's either thanks to the owners' stupidity or the brilliant union leadership of Marvin Miller and Donald Fehr that there is no salary cap in baseball today.

Had George not been the first owner to play by the post-Flood rules, someone else surely would have. I give him props for refusing to collude with baseball's "old boys club", who wanted nothing more than to continue screwing the fans and players to their own financial advantage.

Some of the greatest leaders in history were SOB's. Whether or not Steinbrenner had people skills is irrelevant to his legacy and the mark on the sport he has left behind. I never liked the guy personally, but I'm grateful he did everything humanly possible to put the best team on the field for fans of his team. His only motivation was winning, not greed.
/steve

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

Lest people forget, it was the landmark Curt Flood ruling that created free agency and loyalty to the dollar, and it's either thanks to the owners' stupidity or the brilliant union leadership of Marvin Miller and Donald Fe hr that there is no salary cap in baseball today.

Had George not been the first owner to play by the post-Flood rules, someone else surely would have. I give him props for refusing to collude with baseball's "old boys club", who wanted nothing more than to continue screwing the fans and players to their own financial advantage.

Some of the greatest leaders in history were SOB's. Whether or not Steinbrenner had people skills is irrelevant to his legacy and the mark on the sport he has left behind. I never liked the guy personally, but I'm grateful he did everything humanly possible to put the best team on the field for fans of his team. His only motivation was winning, not greed.

Keeping it simple...George clearly championed (pun intended) the concept of buying a championship in a world without salary cap limits.

There's not exactly any form of "brilliance" in assembling your roster by opening up your checkbook. This also breeds inflation (overpayment) in salaries, which was accelerated by that methodology. It also fueled an astronomical rush to higher salaries. Few had more to do in that trend that good old George, and likely led to the kind of resentment other teams have had towards his philosophy - especialy those many others who had smaller checkbooks.

spam firewall