Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

George Steinbrenner has passed !

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Keeping it simple...George clearly championed (pun intended) the concept of buying a championship in a world without salary cap limits.

There's not exactly any form of "brilliance" in assembling your roster by opening up your checkbook. This also breeds inflation (overpayment) in salaries, which was accelerated by that methodology. It also fueled an astronomical rush to higher salaries. Few had more to do in that trend that good old George, and likely led to the kind of resentment other teams have had towards his philosophy - especialy those many others who had smaller checkbooks.

Say what you want, but George played by the same rules available to several teams with more money to spend than he did at the time he first purchased the Yankees. When he and his co-owners bought the team in 1973 for $8.7 million, they were a .500 team that finished 17 games out of first and barely drew a million fans. And they drew less than a million in 1972, the last year of CBS ownership.

He certainly didn't come into baseball with a silver spoon or unlimited resources, but somehow managed to build a $9 million franchise into one worth an estimated $1 billion today. If that's not "brilliant", than I don't know what is.

Edited by Steve, 13 July 2010 - 01:33 PM.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

He certainly didn't come into baseball with a silver spoon or unlimited resources, but somehow managed to build a $9 million franchise into one worth an estimated $1 billion today. If that's not "brilliant", than I don't know what is.

My issue is at what "real cost"....including diluting the sport by shifting players based only on money, and inflating ticket prices (and TV rights fees). Using that basis, it would seem that all baseball fans themselves contributed to his personal financial success.

Makes him a good businessman, no doubt - but not necessarily good man for the sport - that point will be debated for many years to come.

Now that he's gone...perhaps the focus should be on his franchise's accomplishments (7 World Series).

That point is pretty tough to diminish.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

My issue is at what "real cost"....including diluting the sport by shifting players based only on money [...]

I'd hardly consider the huge attendance and TV contracts garnered by MLB over the past 20 years "dilutive". Thanks to fans going to games in record numbers, huge TV contracts and luxury tax revenues, ML owners are all making money at a record clip.

Once again, Steinbrenner wasn't responsible for the creation of free agency or the lack of a salary cap in baseball. Thank the players' union for that. He just figured out early on that as a result of free agency, Yankee $$$ would be better invested on the field, thereby increasing attendance and a national following, much like the Dallas Cowboys did, rather than socking profits away in his own bank account. And he also rebuilt a totally neglected (by CBS) farm system into one that produced core players like Jeter, Petitte, Rivera, Williams and Posada and other prospects that he was able to trade for star players from other teams.

Apologies to the OP and others for derailing this thread. I promise to shut up now. :)
/steve

#24 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

RIP Boss

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

The accolades for Bob Sheppard and Steinbrenner couldn't be more different.

I'm sure the Yankee nation is in mourning losting both of them in less than a week.

RIP to them both.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

who owns the team now? his sons?

#27 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hal & Hank Steinbrenner

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#28 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

I hope he has Bob Sheppard to announce his arrival in Heaven.

When he gets there.

Poor George is probably going to have to serve some time purgatory first.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#29 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

Poor George is probably going to have to serve some time purgatory first.

He already did that, it was called the Yankee teams of the 80s....
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#30 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

will they bury him at yankee stadium ???

RIP BOSS
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Lot's of reports now surfacing of Steinbrenner's charitable contributions. Apparently he's donated millions over the years on the condition of anonymity, according to a White House statement mourning his passing. He's been especially generous to Tampa, his home for the past 35 years. So much so that they named a local high school after him. It wouldn't surprise me if he was buried there.
/steve

#32 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

George was a brilliant businessman and owner. He even passed in the best year possible, for his heirs, since their is no inheritance tax this year. Thanks to "The Boss" for all you've done for the Yankees and baseball.

#33 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

Being a Red Sox fan, it's tough to say nice things - but you can't savor championships (as in '04 and '07) unless there's a big hill to conquer and Steinbrenner kept that big hill a constant challenge.

My personal opinions of "King George" began to change when the debacle of the Montreal Expos (my NL team) started happening after the strike in '94. Seeing how the owners treated the fans and minority partners made me sick. Jeff Loria, years ago, supplanted Steinbrenner as the most despicable owner in baseball as far as I'm concerned.

Say what you will about Steinbrenner but he put the money into the team. One could say it's not HIS fault that it was in New York where the most money was available (and largely untapped in 1973).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...