Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Integrating GoogleTV with DTV and other SAT and Cable Boxes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

GoogleTV hasn't beend discussed recently here. I was hoping we could look at what we know and speculate about:

Will GoogleTV integrate and overlay above any Cable or Sat box? Even DirecTV? Google seems to claim it does here. This demo also shows how it integrates here

It seems to involve HDMI to integrate. It is intended to bypass the need to switch Inputs on your TV. Does that mean that the GoogleTV box is meant to plug into your Cable or Sat box, then the TV? Would DTV or your cable company need to add code to their firmware? How would it integrate into ANY cable or sat box?

Now we've see that Sony and Dish are among the GoogleTV partners. What does that mean about this integration? If I buy a Sony TV with GoogleTV (this Fall) built in, will it work with my HR24?

Anyone know? If not, let's speculate based on what we do know.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

Where's Craiger? :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

i think u would plug your sat box into the googletv box then plug your googletv box into the tv or avr then the tv. google would just pass everthing from sat box.

#4 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

I thought of that, but I wondered if there would have to be some code on the Sat box to enable that.

#5 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

This topic was beat to death back in May in this thread... http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177615

You won't see any combination of DirecTV & Google or anything else that would require DirecTV to reveal anything to anyone about their encryption algorithms.

You want to surf the net on your TV, add the google box to the TV and leave DirecTV out of it... our boxes have enough to do with out adding a browser to it.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#6 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

This topic was beat to death back in May in this thread... http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177615

You won't see any combination of DirecTV & Google or anything else that would require DirecTV to reveal anything to anyone about their encryption algorithms.

You want to surf the net on your TV, add the google box to the TV and leave DirecTV out of it... our boxes have enough to do with out adding a browser to it.

If its going to require the extra box and changing inputs, I guess I'll live with that. But now you're touching on an interesting topic, the purpose for my question. My curiosity about what technology has to be involved. Sorry if I missed it in the May thread where the encryption has to be revealed. I did see the talk of possible "added code" and I guess that is what the discussion was.

So are the cable companies (some or many) and Dish Network going to have to add code to their boxes that lets the google box unencrypt (is that the word?) their signals and recordings? See that's what I'm wondering, what technology has to be involved for an overlay like that. BTW, I TOTALLY agree that our boxes have enough to do with out adding a browser to it. UNLESS- the cycles, code and processing power to do it come from another processor like the GoogleTV box. Then, why not?

spam firewall