Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Losing Receivers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carguy238

carguy238

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

My recent installation consists of a SWIM 16, two HR24's, one HR23 and two HR20-100's. The HR20's are connected using Deca adapters and Band Stop Filters, no BSF on HR23, exactly the same way I have seen in this forum. The HR24's are not using adapters and there is nothing connected to the Ethernet ports. I have studied the wiring configurations here and it appears that everything is connected correctly. I have three green lights on my adapters and everything works perfectly. The only problem I have is I am randomly loosing receivers. By this I mean that one day all my boxes are showing for MRV and the next I will be missing a receiver. If I reboot the missing receiver it will appear and maybe two to three days later I will loose another one somewhere else. I have tried to come up with a pattern with out much luck. It appears to be completely random and happens to all the receivers. This has kept me running around the house resetting receivers . Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

I'd tighten up all those loose receivers and then see if you lose any of them again.

From what you've described, all your receivers are connected correctly.
Do you have a DECA bridging to your router or are these using their own IP addresses?
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   carguy238

carguy238

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the reply VOS. I will check my connections. Yes each has a separate IP address.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the reply VOS. I will check my connections. Yes each has a separate IP address.

"but" are they getting them from the router or themselves?
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   carguy238

carguy238

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

Thanks again. I am not all that computer savvy. They acquired their addresses on their own upon installation. I have checked and each is different. I hope I have provided the correct information.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

Thanks again. I am not all that computer savvy. They acquired their addresses on their own upon installation. I have checked and each is different. I hope I have provided the correct information.

Do they start with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx or some other number?
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   carguy238

carguy238

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

VOS, they are all 192.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses. At@t 2wire router.

Edited by carguy238, 13 July 2010 - 08:40 PM.
Add info.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

VOS, they are all 192.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses. At@t 2wire router.

OK, then you've got a similar setup to mine, with a DECA & PI connecting you to the 2Wire [I hope] and this is giving all the IPs to the receivers.

Do you have one of these around or near your 2Wire?

DECA+PI.gif
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   carguy238

carguy238

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

Yes. Deca and PI to router. Thanks for all your time.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

Yes. Deca and PI to router. Thanks for all your time.

So at this point, I'd look at all the coax connections, since everything else seems like it's good.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   carguy238

carguy238

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Thanks VOS, I'll check them.

#12 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

I'd tighten up all those loose receivers and then see if you lose any of them again.

From what you've described, all your receivers are connected correctly.
Do you have a DECA bridging to your router or are these using their own IP addresses?

You're a great help to everyone and I appreciate all that you do. I have MRV on a home network and it works but I don't even know what an IP address is. I thought the idea of a SWM/Deca setup was that everything worked together automatically. Why does the poster have to learn all of this and troubleshoot it himself. I'm planning to get a whole home setup at some time but I read a lot of posts with people having problems with it. Not sure if it's worth the trouble.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

You're a great help to everyone and I appreciate all that you do. I have MRV on a home network and it works but I don't even know what an IP address is. I thought the idea of a SWM/Deca setup was that everything worked together automatically. Why does the poster have to learn all of this and troubleshoot it himself. I'm planning to get a whole home setup at some time but I read a lot of posts with people having problems with it. Not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Of course you're going to read more about the problems than those without problems.
Over the last couple of months "I'd say" installation problems have been the dominate problems.
I've had it for a year now and installed it myself. My RF knowledge is good and my ethernet networking knowledge is limited to basically "plug & play".
The connected home has worked very well here. In the year it's been here I haven't needed to do anything more than rebooting receivers.
"For me", this is so plug & play that all my settings are default/auto.
If you were to base your decision on my experience, it would be a no brainer to go with DECA.
I had everything ethernet and simply added the DECAs, so any "network issues" had already been sorted out.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

My recent installation consists of a SWIM 16, two HR24's, one HR23 and two HR20-100's. The HR20's are connected using Deca adapters and Band Stop Filters, no BSF on HR23, exactly the same way I have seen in this forum. The HR24's are not using adapters and there is nothing connected to the Ethernet ports. I have studied the wiring configurations here and it appears that everything is connected correctly. I have three green lights on my adapters and everything works perfectly. The only problem I have is I am randomly loosing receivers. By this I mean that one day all my boxes are showing for MRV and the next I will be missing a receiver. If I reboot the missing receiver it will appear and maybe two to three days later I will loose another one somewhere else. I have tried to come up with a pattern with out much luck. It appears to be completely random and happens to all the receivers. This has kept me running around the house resetting receivers . Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Since you have 10 tuners, are two or more of the recivers coming from the second SWiM output. It appears that they are not and tuners are fighting for a spot in the frequency allocation.

Even if they are wired using both outputs, I would reset the system by pulling power from all receivers, SWIM , DECA adpter (if connected) and internet router. Power up the SWiM, then power up your router. Next power up DECA adapter that connects to the router. After that is complete, plug in one receiver and wait for it to fully boot. Then do this to each of the other receivers, again waitnig for it to complete booting before going to the next one.

Edited by azarby, 14 July 2010 - 09:36 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

Since you have 10 tuners, are two or more of the recivers coming from the second SWiM output. It appears that they are not and tuners are fighting for a spot in the frequency allocation.

Think you're looking at the wrong problem. This looks to be a MRV sharing issue and not a SAT signal issue, so the SWiM seems to be loaded correctly.
There is no mention of 771 errors.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

Think you're looking at the wrong problem. This looks to be a MRV sharing issue and not a SAT signal issue, so the SWiM seems to be loaded correctly.
There is no mention of 771 errors.

I have found the same type of thing with the MRV, where resetting everything cures the problem. I wouldn't hurt to do it, but it could very well help.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

I have found the same type of thing with the MRV, where resetting everything cures the problem. I wouldn't hurt to do it, but it could very well help.

"Yeah" it wouldn't hurt, but I simply don't do things that have zero relationship to what the problem is.
DECA has nothing to do with the SWiM. They are completely independent of each other. SWiM is there solely to free up the frequencies used by DECA and to have the splitters in place for DECA to pass through.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

One more thing for the OP to check is to make sure that his router has enough open slots in his dynamic routing range for IP allocations. If there are too many deviecs being allocated IPs by the router, some of these IPs may be dropping off as unused devices come on line. Then as he goes to use the original device that was just recently dropped, a new device will be dropped because there again, ther are not enough assignable IP's.

#19 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Of course you're going to read more about the problems than those without problems.
Over the last couple of months "I'd say" installation problems have been the dominate problems.
I've had it for a year now and installed it myself. My RF knowledge is good and my ethernet networking knowledge is limited to basically "plug & play".
The connected home has worked very well here. In the year it's been here I haven't needed to do anything more than rebooting receivers.
"For me", this is so plug & play that all my settings are default/auto.
If you were to base your decision on my experience, it would be a no brainer to go with DECA.
I had everything ethernet and simply added the DECAs, so any "network issues" had already been sorted out.

Thanks for the reply.

#20 OFFLINE   carguy238

carguy238

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

One more thing for the OP to check is to make sure that his router has enough open slots in his dynamic routing range for IP allocations. If there are too many deviecs being allocated IPs by the router, some of these IPs may be dropping off as unused devices come on line. Then as he goes to use the original device that was just recently dropped, a new device will be dropped because there again, ther are not enough assignable IP's.

Thanks for the suggestion azarby. I will check that out. I never would have thought of that. Between the kids X Box 360, four desktops, two laptops and networked blu ray player and a sling box. I really do have a lot going on. Any idea how I can figure out what my routers capacity is and if I'm over it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...