Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questions, Questions, Questions ... MRV, that is!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

Yesterday my MRV system was installed. A few questions:

1. I was expecting an HR24-500, but received instead an HR24-100. What's the difference? Same larger hard drive?

2. After the installation, I started playing around with the system. First discovery. When FF'ing, it take a few seconds to take off, AND, if FF'ing something from a different receiver, there's pixilation or some type of distortion during the FF'ing. Is this normal? (Not that anyone cares, but ...)

3. I don't know why but I thought when you hit the RECORD button it asks you which receiver to record to. Mine doesn't. You can only watch what's on each receivers LIST. This isn't any different than my old wireless setup.

4. The biggest issue is last night (after the install), I Rewound live TV to view something, then, when I hit PLAY, it would play for about 2 seconds then FREEZE and my audio was totally gone. This also happened on recordings. Reset and everything else didn't cure the problem.

Called Direct TV. I was sure I had a bad HR24-100. Another service call scheduled for tomorrow morning. Then, I changed the HDMI cable and all the problems went away. Does the HR24 take a better HDMI cable or could my cable (same one I used for my HR23) suddenly go bad?

If anyone could comment on each of my questions I'd really appreciate it. On question #4, if this problem was somehow my HDMI cable, I'd really like to cancel tomorrow's appointment. As always, thanks in advance for the help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

I don't know all of these but the -100 and -500 are the same, that is the manufacturer code. I think the vents and fan are in different spots, but you wouldn't notice anything different between the two funtionality-wise.

You only see the receiver list to record to if you have multiple DVRs and you hit record on a non-DVR.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,161 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

The H24s do have an occasional 'freeze' when trickplaying - mine does it on 30skip - I don't FF that much.

But all you have to do is STOP / Resume and it'll pick back up.

I'm sure it will be fixed in a future software update.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

Yesterday my MRV system was installed. A few questions:

1. I was expecting an HR24-500, but received instead an HR24-100. What's the difference? Same larger hard drive?

2. After the installation, I started playing around with the system. First discovery. When FF'ing, it take a few seconds to take off, AND, if FF'ing something from a different receiver, there's pixilation or some type of distortion during the FF'ing. Is this normal? (Not that anyone cares, but ...)

3. I don't know why but I thought when you hit the RECORD button it asks you which receiver to record to. Mine doesn't. You can only watch what's on each receivers LIST. This isn't any different than my old wireless setup.

4. The biggest issue is last night (after the install), I Rewound live TV to view something, then, when I hit PLAY, it would play for about 2 seconds then FREEZE and my audio was totally gone. This also happened on recordings. Reset and everything else didn't cure the problem.

Called Direct TV. I was sure I had a bad HR24-100. Another service call scheduled for tomorrow morning. Then, I changed the HDMI cable and all the problems went away. Does the HR24 take a better HDMI cable or could my cable (same one I used for my HR23) suddenly go bad?

If anyone could comment on each of my questions I'd really appreciate it. On question #4, if this problem was somehow my HDMI cable, I'd really like to cancel tomorrow's appointment. As always, thanks in advance for the help.

3. The ability to chose the recorder is only available on non recodring units such as the H24. HR2x units must be programmed directly from each respective box.

4. This is a possible sw bug in the HR24 and DTV is working on it.

#5 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Geez, thanks all. Of course my Question #4 was my biggest concern. Since it's not doing it right now, I think I'll call off tomorrow's appointment and just see what happens. My other HR20'S/23'S didn't do this. Only the new HR24. I was not looking forward to sitting here another 4 hours :)

And when it the picture FROZE upon hitting the PLAY, it FROZE and audio gone. I mean not just a temporary freeze, but stayed that way and was unwatchable. Really weird. At first I thought it was the 2nd receiver (HR20-700) under it so I removed the thingy from that one hanging in the back thinking there was some kind of interference. lol

Now, if that's a software problem .... (I certainly hope they fix it fast)

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

Now, if that's a software problem .... (I certainly hope they fix it fast)

Not to burst any bubbles here, but I'm not holding my breath, since I've had it too and it's been around for a very long time and seems random enough as not to be getting the attention it needs.
I use the replay button myself.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

VOS - you mean the whole MRV system is known for having that type of problem or just the HR24?

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

VOS - you mean the whole MRV system is known for having that type of problem or just the HR24?

The HR24 has been doing this. It doesn't seem to be a MRV issue since it happens with local recordings.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

Dang, when the installer came he tried to pawn off a "REBURBISHED" HR21-200 on me but I told him I was going to cancel the installation. He went back and got me the new HR24-100. Maybe I didn't make the right choice??? (I don't even know what the HR21 is but it sounds old and I didn't want another 2-year extension on my commitment without gaining the latest in technology). :)

#10 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

The HR21 is old, can only record 50 hours of HD, and is sloooooow!

:)

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,599 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

The HR21 is old, can only record 50 hours of HD, and is sloooooow!

Mr HR21-200 here holds 200 hours of HD (larger drive installed) and is not slow...so that seems to be a generalized statement that doesn't fit the entire user base experience.

Of course my HR24 is even faster.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:17 AM

Mr HR21-200 here holds 200 hours of HD (larger drive installed) and is not slow...so that seems to be a generalized statement that doesn't fit the entire user base experience.
Of course my HR24 is even faster.

Huh, you say the HR21 is not slow, then you say it is slower than the HR24!? The OP was comparing the HR21 and HR24. And the 50 hrs of HD on the HR21 applies to the majority of HR21 users.

#13 ONLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

Huh, you say the HR21 is not slow, then you say it is slower than the HR24!? The OP was comparing the HR21 and HR24. And the 50 hrs of HD on the HR21 applies to the majority of HR21 users.

Of course it's slower than the HR24, but it's faster than the HR22 or 23, and it doesn't have the bug that they're discussing.

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,599 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

Slow and slower are subjective terms...including degrees of both.

No doubt that all previous models were not as fast as the HR24 series units....a better way of stating it.

Then again....how much "slower" other models are seems to be in the eyes of the beholder.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#15 OFFLINE   dtvmike1652

dtvmike1652

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

I don't know maybe you all have a ton recorded or something on your HR22 or 23's because my neighbor has an HR21 and it is not even close to being as quick as the 22 or 23. His harddrive is empty and mine is about 1/3 full. I think the slowness is subject to the individual users and only reason I'm stating this is that you always hear more bad than good when comparing products.

spam firewall