Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Inception

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

I'm not a movie person, but the trailers for this movie have caught my attention. Obviously it is all CGI, but still the effects look amazing.

Anyone planning on seeing this? Heard any reviews?
Go Hoos!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

I'm not a movie person, but the trailers for this movie have caught my attention. Obviously it is all CGI, but still the effects look amazing.

The reviews have been exceptional.....this is the must see movie of the summer.
I'm looking forward to seeing it, the bad thing for me if it has Dicraprio in it, I just don't like him. Still going though.

#3 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

The reviews have been exceptional.....this is the must see movie of the summer.
I'm looking forward to seeing it, the bad thing for me if it has Dicraprio in it, I just don't like him. Still going though.

I really like Ellen Page, but I doubt her role in Inception will be much like Juno.
Go Hoos!

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

Looks like a great film, and with the exception of The Dark Knight I am a big fan of the director, Christopher Nolan. And I understand that most people liked The Dark Knight but I thought it was an hour too long.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

PLEASE don't see this movie if all you care about is special effects:

http://www.mercuryne...ews/ci_15517429

Not since James Cameron's "Avatar" have I been in a theater where an audience has so thoroughly surrendered to what is transpiring on-screen. Not one person rudely became a blabbermouth. You could barely even hear an intake of air.

But "Inception" is a better film than "Avatar." While it's stunning visually, "Inception" dazzles us not with technology, but with smarts, immersing us deeply into the dreamscapes craftily manufactured by Nolan and a cast of rich characters. Fans of his "Memento" — one of the best film noir films ever made — should expect to find their brain cells revved to overdrive.

For that Nolan fan above who doesn't like The Dark Knight, looks this movie harkens back to The Following/Memento, only with a big-budget.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#6 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

I loved Memento. Excellent movie that few people know about.
Go Hoos!

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

I loved Memento. Excellent movie that few people know about.

One of my top 5 best all-time.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

Memento, The Prestige, and Insomnia were all excellent and far superior to The Dark Knight simply by not having a superhero in them.

#9 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

If you haven't seen Nolan's first film, Following, you are missing out on a rare treat. If you think nobody has ever heard of Memento, nobody x 10 has heard of Following, but it's really good. You can really see then Nolan was going to be very good.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#10 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

I saw Joseph Gordon-Levitt one of the stars of this movie on the View this morning. According to him it was not CGI, but a special set that was use for the the effects seen in this film. I also am looking forward to this film.

#11 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

I definitely plan on checking this out.

Nolan: check
DiCaprio: check
Gordon-Levitt: check
Berenger ;) : check

#12 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

I watched over the weekend.

The music was great. My friend saw it at the IMAX and she said it was a great immersive experience.

IMHO, the reviews are over inflating it but it was very good and entertaining. 4 out of 5 stars.

Spoiler

Edited by koji68, 19 July 2010 - 01:42 PM.

Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

PLEASE don't see this movie if all you care about is special effects:

Why?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

Because there aren't that many of them and you see all the good ones in the trailer.

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

Because there aren't that many of them and you see all the good ones in the trailer.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've been telling the Mrs that was the case based on similar reviews...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

I don't have the time for a full review BTW, but I'll say this: This was a thoughtful movie full of great actors and far more symbolism than it's possible to get with one viewing. Even the characters' names mean something. I was a little disappointed with the lack of CGI as I was expecting something more "dreamlike" and that was explained away with "you should make dreams as realistic as possible or the subconscious will reject them." Poppycock, say I. But whatever.

The ending will get you talking, and that's saying a lot since it's possible to guess it about halfway through the film.

#17 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

Funny how different people take a film. My wife and I walked out after 25 minutes and got our $22 ticket fee back. To me, I wish they had developed the characters even a little before the action started - I'm a smart guy (magna cum laude), but had no idea what was going on.

#18 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

Funny how different people take a film. My wife and I walked out after 25 minutes and got our $22 ticket fee back. To me, I wish they had developed the characters even a little before the action started - I'm a smart guy (magna cum laude), but had no idea what was going on.

I saw "Inception" last week, and it's a shame you didn't stay on. It takes quite a while for the story to develop. To be sure, it was difficult to follow, not really knowing at any given time if you were immersed in DiCaprio's dream or someone else's, or if it was a dream within a dream. I think it would actually be worth seeing again, knowing how it all fit together. It's a tense drama definitely worth seeing.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#19 OFFLINE   kss123456

kss123456

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

It's phenomenal and it's not difficult to understand like many people say it is. It's ranked as the third best movie of all time by imdb for a reason.

#20 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

Sounds like a perfect BluRay purchase. I'll definitely give it another shot.

spam firewall