Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV Authorized but not working

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

Ok explain for us slow people - this must be only a temporary thing then huh?

But if it worked I'm on the right track, that it is an IP network problem?

So should I let each receiver reset to its default network of 169.....?

Will the Subnet, gateway or DNS need to change?
Any specific info would be helpful. The h / hr24's have the built in DECA correct?

I have a question about using a deca and PI to attach to the router, but just getting the multi room would be a great start !!!

Without the router in the loop with the DECA bridging, I'd reset the network defaults, let them use their internal IP and settings and re-run the SAT setup to get them back on the internal DECA [after removing all ethernet cables].
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dsw73

dsw73

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

So by using ( I assume an external DECA devise which ties into RG-6 cable and has an ethernet port) this to piggy back into the system it will treat the receivers as if they are all in series. Allowing them all even access into the DECA unit into the router. Will there be special needs for the addressing of this DECA unit?

#23 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

So by using ( I assume an external DECA devise which ties into RG-6 cable and has an ethernet port) this to piggy back into the system it will treat the receivers as if they are all in series. Allowing them all even access into the DECA unit into the router. Will there be special needs for the addressing of this DECA unit?

Actually is is like a star connection with the SWiM acting like a pseudo hub. Once you have the DECA internet and PI, connect that up first and then you could either power off each receiver and power them back up and they would now find the proper IP through the DECA connection back to the router, or you could just try to re-run the network connection on each device. I find it is cleaner to power them off then back on. The trick is to get the internet DECA up and stable first so there is a defined path to the router.

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

:confused: Not quite sure what your question is.
You have a DECA coax network between the 24s. Adding a broadband connection [a separate DECA & PI] to the coax network, will have the router handle all the traffic routing, give you internet access along with access to your home network.
The receivers can either work as an extension to your home network, or work independently of your home network, but in this case you should let each receiver use its internal IP and network settings.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   dsw73

dsw73

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

:confused: Not quite sure what your question is.
You have a DECA coax network between the 24s. Adding a broadband connection [a separate DECA & PI] to the coax network, will have the router handle all the traffic routing, give you internet access along with access to your home network.
The receivers can either work as an extension to your home network, or work independently of your home network, but in this case you should let each receiver use its internal IP and network settings.

Thank you to both, atleast it is in some working order. Better than the nothing I had. I just wanted to make sure you were speaking of an external DECA adapter (the one with the ethernet plug) inline. Sounds like it to me. Can I use the existing PI which comes from the 8 way splitter into the PI into the HR24 DVR, if I use a quality splitter.

I could split the "to ird" line on the output of the PI, one going into the HR24, the other going into the DECA adapter, capping the end of the adapter, and plugging in the ethernet plug. The other end of the ethernet into the router.

This should allow the system to access the router, Correct?

#26 OFFLINE   lzhj9k

lzhj9k

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

Here is an Example of a system connected to the Internet with a separate External Deca Module...

Mike

HR-34  HR-23  H25  2-C41 Clients and 1-C41W Client

#27 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

Thank you to both, atleast it is in some working order. Better than the nothing I had. I just wanted to make sure you were speaking of an external DECA adapter (the one with the ethernet plug) inline. Sounds like it to me. Can I use the existing PI which comes from the 8 way splitter into the PI into the HR24 DVR, if I use a quality splitter.

I could split the "to ird" line on the output of the PI, one going into the HR24, the other going into the DECA adapter, capping the end of the adapter, and plugging in the ethernet plug. The other end of the ethernet into the router.

No you can't use the existing PI and share the power. The PI is specifically made for the DECA.

#28 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

There isn't a way to "leverage" your SWiM PI for the DECA to router.
You need this:
http://www.dbstalk.c...40&d=1279075740
A.K.A VOS

#29 OFFLINE   scottb8888

scottb8888

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Well, DTV has been in and out of my house for the laste few weeks to upgrade and install MRV. They upgraded the regular receivers to H24's and the DVR to HR24. They told me I could connect my home network to the rj45 on the DVR.

As they left today they said everything is working. no Mrv.. The H24's don't see the HR24 . I read that I can't connect any receiver to the internet except through a DECA adapter, so I disconnected the rj45 and restarted the receiver.

Show I be able to start the services, cause that does not work.

Help!

#30 OFFLINE   lzhj9k

lzhj9k

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

You will have to rerun the initial sat set up on the machine that HAD the Cat5/Cat6 plugged in...

Main Menu---Parental Favs & Set Up---System SetUp---Satellite--- ReRun Satellite SetUp..

Try this........

Mike

HR-34  HR-23  H25  2-C41 Clients and 1-C41W Client

#31 OFFLINE   Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

There isn't a way to "leverage" your SWiM PI for the DECA to router.
You need this:
http://www.dbstalk.c...40&d=1279075740

I was actually told that you can use the SWM PI to power the DECA unit. Granted not in the fashion he wants to, but you can run from the LNB output on the SMW PI into the DECA unit. The problem he would have is I know of no possible splitter that passes the power to both outputs, they all only pass power to one of the outputs (the red line output).

#32 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

I was actually told that you can use the SWM PI to power the DECA unit. Granted not in the fashion he wants to, but you can run from the LNB output on the SMW PI into the DECA unit. The problem he would have is I know of no possible splitter that passes the power to both outputs, they all only pass power to one of the outputs (the red line output).

You can use the 21V SWM PI with a deca unit and it works just fine.
You CAN'T use the 29V SWM Multiswitch PI to power a DECA (without frying it)
You can use the 29V SWM PI to power a SWM LNB though. (Or so we were told when we were out of 21's)

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

You can use the 29V SWM PI to power a SWM LNB though. (Or so we were told when we were out of 21's)

You can take that to the bank, because I'm been powering my LNB with one since the first day of testing [2 years ago], as that's what they sent with it.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

You can take that to the bank, because I'm been powering my LNB with one since the first day of testing [2 years ago], as that's what they sent with it.

Same here. Used the 29v PI with SWMLNB from day one of testing. No problems what so ever.

#35 OFFLINE   hatchet

hatchet

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

I read that I can't connect any receiver to the internet except through a DECA adapter, so I disconnected the rj45 and restarted the receiver.

Not sure where you read that :nono:.

I have an HR24 and two H24s hooked up via ethernet to my home network and MRV is working as intended.
HR24 - HDMI - Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080HD
H24 - HDMI - Sony KDL-46NX700
H24 - HDMI - Sharp LC32D47U

#36 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

Not sure where you read that :nono:.

I have an HR24 and two H24s hooked up via ethernet to my home network and MRV is working as intended.

Unless the poster was speaking in the context MRV through DirecTV's officially supported DECA coax network. In that case the ethernet ports on the H/HR24 receivers cannot be used for MRV or to access to the home network/internet except through a broad Band DECA dongle connected to the coax network some how and router.

#37 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 480 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

They told me I could connect my home network to the rj45 on the DVR.

They were incorrect (wrong, ignorant, idiots, fill in your choice). You cannot do that on an HR24. This is a common piece of misinformation.

To connect to your router/home network you need a separate DECA module with its own separate power supply, connected to a separate coax from the splitter. I believe a diagram was already posted.

And as was stated, once you plugged that ethernet cable into the HR24, it disabled the DECA/MRV networking, and you can't get it back without re-running Satellite Setup. It does not come back automatically when you unhook the ethernet cable.

All this chasing of IP addresses, etc. is a red herring. Re-run Satellite setup on your HR24. Make sure there are NO ethernet cables plugged into ANY receiver at ANY time.

Keith

#38 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

... and ** if ** that doesn't work have D* reauthorize your services and try again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...