Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why not tell the world to get HR24s?

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

What is wrong with informing people about to have installs done about the HR24 vs the older HRs? EVERYONE knows the HR24s are much faster than the older receivers.

I know some of you for whatever reason want what is best for DirecTV. That’s totally ok with me. I don’t understand but if that floats your boat go for it. But - what about all those new installs with unsuspecting naive new users that won’t find out the speed difference until they use their new ‘Old-n-SLOW’ HR21/22/23 for a week or two? Too late then! They'll have to pay another $200 each for HR24s. I say we let them know – don’t do the install if it doesn’t include HR24s. I know that’s bad for DirecTV and it costs them money but they should have known that cutting corners during the HR21/22/23 design process would catch up to them eventually.

I have informed several people personally that they should ask the CSR that takes their order to put in notes that they will not allow the install if it includes HR20/21/22 or 23s. I also told them to reiterate that if/when someone calls before the install. Luckily for 3 of the installs that I told to do this the installer showed up with HR24s. Another install is tomorrow and we’ll see what they show up with. I don’t feel even a little guilty – any money that DirecTV spends because people don’t want the ‘slow’ receivers is DirecTVs fault and no one else’s.

It seems that a few people here are taking on the specific task of down-playing the speed differences. Maybe those people should disclose their reasons for doing so? Are they stock holders? Employees?

I don't hate DirecTV - I have paid them a good bit of money over the years and I plan on paying them much more in the future. I was thoroughly impressed with the installer that just installed my MRV. I just don't see the need to defend the intentionally slowed down HR21/22/23s. The sooner those receivers are out of the system the better.

And that’s all I have to say about that. (For the next few minutes anyway)

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Do whatever you feel you need to do.
Any HD DVR that can work with MRV is better than NO HD DVR and the stock of any HD DVR is running short these days due to the overwhelming demand for MRV.
There may be a day real soon [if not already here in some markets] when there are NO 24s to be installed.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

Mike, start a web page if you want to. I bet this is available:

www.onlygetahr24.com

VOS got it exactly right. Do whatever you want to do. It's a free country and a loosely moderated board. Put your advice in caps in each of your posts. Fine by me.

If it was me, though, I'd tell folks who really want a HR24 to hold off getting DirecTV for a few months until they are back in the pipeline. Your advice makes dealing with DirecTV on the phone and at the point of installation confrontational experiences. It takes what should be something easy and turns it adversarial. I don't think I'd want to do that to friends or even acquaintances. Most people hate being put in that position.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   foss

foss

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

The issue is that DirecTV is misleading customers by offering a certain type of hardware/experience and delivering another. They show the 24 on the website and make no mention that new users might get an older/refurbished model that only supports 1080i output (1080p on VOD demand stuff with a patch) and less recording time and a slower UI.

Just because most people are not keen enough to notice or care doesn't justify the practice.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Right now, HR24s are on very limited allocation, meaning each region gets a small number, because MRV and "Free HD for Life/2 Years" has drained the supply. Lots of customers can't get installed *at all* right now due to lack of equipment, and many of those who ARE getting installed are getting HR20-23's, because that's all that's available.

Plenty of people are perfectly happy with their DirecTV DVRs.

Also, keep in mind that it is less expensive for DirecTV to give out used receivers than to use all new ones. That cost savings helps keep your bill low. What you are advocating will only drive everyone's bill higher.

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

foss, where does it say on the website you'll get a HR24? Did you make that assumption when you saw the picture? If they had pictured a HR21, you'd be happy with what you got?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

... no mention that new users might get an older/refurbished model that only supports 1080i output (1080p on VOD demand stuff with a patch) and less recording time and a slower UI.

I have no idea where you're getting your bad information.
I have the first HR20-700s here that output 1080p just like my HR24 does. One has a 1080p light & the other lights up two to indicate the same output. The TV & my eyes don't care whether there are one or two lights indicating the output, since both are the same output.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

I don’t think it is such a big deal. If they can’t get HR24s now just wait until they can. That doesn’t seem too difficult or confrontational. If a new customer is about to commit to 2 years why shouldn’t they hold out for an HR24? Why should they have to deal with the remote sometimes responds, sometimes not? Why should they have to deal with not being able to consistently hit the ‘Record’ button in the guide twice to record a series?

Even better question why do some people here think you are committing some kind of crime against DirecTV for pointing out the HR24s are MUCH quicker than the others?

I put my money where my mouth is. I’ve spent $600 over the last couple of months to get HR24s. I’m not suggesting (although it would nice) that DirecTV replace all the HR20/21/22/23 with HR24s. I’m just saying that a new subscriber should know what they are getting into.

#9 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

I bet a large majority of D* customers wouldn't even notice the difference. I thought the D* DVR was faster than my old Tivo and I was excited when I switched from cable. My receiver was an R22, and I was delighted.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#10 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

As an installer all I'm going to say is, if you don't like what receiver you got, then complain. Stop canceling installs because Directv schedules more appointments then they have equipment for.

This is money straight of the installers pockets. We don't like putting in old refurbd equipment as much you don't like getting it. We have no choice.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

Why should they have to deal with the remote sometimes responds, sometimes not? Why should they have to deal with not being able to consistently hit the ‘Record’ button in the guide twice to record a series?

Don't think for one minute that everyone has had such a horrible time with their "old" receivers as you seem to have had.
I've still got my first HR20-700s and a HR24 next to one of them right now and "guess which one" is currently feeding my TV right now? Yep, the HR20 and the 24 is simply being a MRV server as it's been for the last few weeks.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

I bet a large majority of D* customers wouldn't even notice the difference. I thought the D* DVR was faster than my old Tivo and I was excited when I switched from cable. My receiver was an R22, and I was delighted.

Probably correct, at least at first... But after a while when they figure out they can't just hit 337 on the remote to go to channel 337 it will be too late.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

As an installer all I'm going to say is, if you don't like what receiver you got, then complain. Stop canceling installs because Directv schedules more appointments then they have equipment for.

This is money straight of the installers pockets. We don't like putting in old refurbd equipment as much you don't like getting it. We have no choice.

Yep - this a bad deal for the installers. DirecTV should be able track the HR24s. The installers shouldn't have to pay for DirecTV's mistakes although I'm sure the do all the time.

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Don't think for one minute that everyone has had such a horrible time with their "old" receivers as you seem to have had.
I've still got my first HR20-700s and a HR24 next to one of them right now and "guess which one" is currently feeding my TV right now? Yep, the HR20 and the 24 is simply being a MRV server as it's been for the last few weeks.

You are correct. If all the old receivers were HR20-700s then it would not be such a big deal. If you had my HR22s I can tell you which one would be feeding your TV right now!

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,920 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

Mike,
What should they do? Refuse install, reschedule , and take another day off(not feasible for most working people)? Rinse, repeat till the 24 is installed? How many times? What about when Directv gets fed up and denies service completely? You haven't thought this all the way through, obviously.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

But - what about all those new installs with unsuspecting naive new users that won’t find out the speed difference until they use their new ‘Old-n-SLOW’ HR21/22/23 for a week or two? Too late then!

Why should they have to deal with the remote sometimes responds, sometimes not? Why should they have to deal with not being able to consistently hit the ‘Record’ button in the guide twice to record a series?

Probably correct, at least at first... But after a while when they figure out they can't just hit 337 on the remote to go to channel 337 it will be too late.

People say the HR24 is faster, so I'll take their word for it, but my HR20 and both of my HR21's are fast enough for me. I've never wished that they were faster. I've also never dealt with non-responsive remote commands or not being able record a series by hitting record twice or not being able to hit 337 and go to that channel - on any of my units.

That's the reason that people don't need to refuse a delivery if they don't get an HR24 - there's nothing wrong with the other units.

You might have had problems with yours, but that doesn't mean everyone does. After your friends cancel a few installs and then D* refuses future installs, what will you tell them then? How will you explain the fact that your myopic views cost them from getting the service they desired?

Is the HR24 faster? Apparently. Would I take one if offered? Sure. But I wouldn't refuse an install if I got something different as they work very well for me (and the people I know).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

After the pain and suffering for my HR22s I would gladly taken another day off of work to avoid them.

If people don't care - fine. They (at least the ones here) should do if they can. If they want to accept slow then at least they will know what they are getting into.

If DirecTV would fix their system to accept the fact the HR24s are not the 'Same' it would be much better.

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

People say the HR24 is faster, so I'll take their word for it, but my HR20 and both of my HR21's are fast enough for me. I've never wished that they were faster.

That's what I thought until I got a HR24, the increased performance made using it a much more pleasant experience. I still have a HR22 and HR23 but they're been basically relegated to just a recording served in my MRV pool due to their slow performance vs. the HR24. Haven't had a case yet where I go to enter a three digit channel number to tune to and a digit get's dropped due to the STB being too busy putting up the channel banner on the 24's;).

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#19 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

I'm sure I'd notice the difference too RAD, that's not really my point. The OP makes it out as if the other models are trash and super slow - that's not the case. Unless directly comparing them to the HR24, the other models are plenty fast enough for most people. Fast enough that there's no need to refuse installs because of it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

You are correct. If all the old receivers were HR20-700s then it would not be such a big deal. If you had my HR22s I can tell you which one would be feeding your TV right now!

The HR22 is the HR21 with a larger drive. While I haven't had a HR22, I do have a HR21 and the only reason it currently isn't in use is because three DVRs is currently enough for me.
Yes, the HR21 is slightly slower than the HR20, but we're talking something like a half a second slower to respond, and is very easy for me to adjust my remote inputs to.
I've NEVER had the direct channel input issues here, and almost every time I'd read a post about it I'd try to repeat the same thing and not be able to.
I think as we tried many times for you, that you had either sometime wrong in your setup or simply a bad receiver and suggested you should get it replaced.
You make this sound like everyone was totally screwed by getting receivers that others never had problems with.
"Of course" all models can have a bad receiver and we see this with the 24s too.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall