Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why not tell the world to get HR24s?

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#381 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

My parents have a Directv HD HVR (no clue what model) and I have noticed on several occasions while using their system the performance is dreadful. Pulling up and scrolling through the guide is pathetic. It makes my Dish VIP 622 seem light speed.

I decided to jump to Direct the other day and have an install appointment on Monday. I put a note for the installer that I wanted the latest equipment. The last thing I want is more 3 year old equipment. I thought I read that if you are getting multi-room option you WILL get the 24? How can I identify it to be sure?

Jon

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#382 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

My parents have a Directv HD HVR (no clue what model) and I have noticed on several occasions while using their system the performance is dreadful. Pulling up and scrolling through the guide is pathetic. It makes my Dish VIP 622 seem light speed.

I decided to jump to Direct the other day and have an install appointment on Monday. I put a note for the installer that I wanted the latest equipment. The last thing I want is more 3 year old equipment. I thought I read that if you are getting multi-room option you WILL get the 24? How can I identify it to be sure?

Jon

I was in the same position a few years back. I had a couple of 622s that worked well. I didn’t even think to compare the speed of the HRx series before making the switch. Well, as you can see here I wasn’t happy. The HR22s I got were much slower (and still are). If I had been using Comcast Motorola boxes I would have thought the HR22s were a step up in speed. You’re doing the right thing going for the HR24. It’s crazy that the old 622s (4 years old now?) are so much faster than the HR20/21/22/23s.

I think even the new speed demon HR24s are not as fast as the 622 but it’s not all that much of a difference. I stopped by a reseller that had demo receivers and TVs set up. For Dish they had a 622 and for DirecTV a HR24. Speed was pretty close but I think the 622 was just a bit faster…. Not a deal breaker because they are close enough in speed….

If you’re getting ‘Whole Home DVR’ then supposedly your chances are good on the HR24. I’d call a few hours before your install time window and ask to have the installer call you before heading for you. You could then specifically ask the installer if there are HR24s headed your way.

You’ve seen the DirecTV receivers at your parents so you don’t need to take my word for it. I suspect that if you don’t get HR24s you’ll spend the next 2 years of your DirecTV days wishing that you had ‘not accepted’ anything other the HR24s.

Good luck – hopefully HR24s are headed your way!

#383 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

Jon

If you order whole-home as part of the installation you are SUPPOSED to get 24s. However, this depends on supply and you might get other equipment.

You can identify by (1) asking the installer and (2) reading the model number on the side of the box. You should ask the installer before the installation and if he calls (as he should) before getting to your house, ask him if he has 24s on his truck since you are getting whole home. If not, he may be able to go pick some up before getting to your home.

And lastly ...

This is what an HR24 looks like (the H24s are smaller variants)

Posted Image

This is what an HR21/22/23 looks like

Posted Image

The HR20s are silver versions of the last image above.

Oh, and the model number is printed on the DVR/receiver as well. Just open the access card door on the right side and look under the access card slot. The exact model should be printed there.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#384 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:16 AM

If you order whole-home as part of the installation you are SUPPOSED to get 24s. However, this depends on supply and you might get other equipment.

You can identify by (1) asking the installer and (2) reading the model number on the side of the box. You should ask the installer before the installation and if he calls (as he should) before getting to your house, ask him if he has 24s on his truck since you are getting whole home. If not, he may be able to go pick some up before getting to your home.

And lastly ...

This is what an HR24 looks like (the H24s are smaller variants)

Posted Image

This is what an HR21/22/23 looks like

Posted Image

The HR20s are silver versions of the last image above.

Oh, and the model number is printed on the DVR/receiver as well. Just open the access card door on the right side and look under the access card slot. The exact model should be printed there.

Nice summary Doug.

So what outstanding questions haven't been answered?

I defer to the OP.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#385 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

Nice summary Doug.

So what outstanding questions haven't been answered?

I defer to the OP.

I have plenty of questions that won’t get answered but….:D As long as new subs know what they are getting into – especially those coming from Dish Network – I’m happy!

#386 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

I have plenty of questions that won’t get answered but….:D As long as new subs know what they are getting into – especially those coming from Dish Network – I’m happy!

That was the intent and goal of my question.

Thanks.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...