Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PLEASE HELP! MFH-3 DirecTV Operator = No 3D!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   msaghirmd

msaghirmd

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

Background: I live in a Miami high rise and my cable operator is Primecast. I absolutely have to use these people as my satellite/cable providers. Long story short: they use a wacky protocol called MFH-3 (Multiple Family Housing) which sends data packets via CAT-5 (ethernet) cable to a DirecTV receiver. No coax! Please note, this is not IPTV as MFH-3 requires a satellite on the top of the building (it only sends signals throughout your individual condo unit over ethernet). Every condo has some kind of proprietary fiber optic line that hooks into an Alcatel brand modem in the utility box which then converts it to ethernet signal.

Problem: this stupid system only works with the HR20i (a non-3d capable DVR receiver). It also works with another non-3D capable stand alone (non-dvr) receiver. That's it. Absolutely no other receivers are compatible. This is absolutely the only thing this dumb system can function with (I was told this by my operator Primecast and I still tried extensively to use a newer receiver and failed). Please keep in mind the only hookup besides power in and HDMI out is ethernet cable in to the box (no coax). I think the ethernet has to use the lower ethernet port. Not the higher port on the back of the box (Does this even make a difference?). BUT keep in mind the HR20i can reportedly record 3d programming. It just cannot not decode it. Per other users, it can also send the signal to other receivers via the MRV (multiple room viewing) protocol ($3/month service from DirecTV).

Question: I just purchased the UN55C8000 (2010 Samsung 3d LED TV). I want, nay, I NEED 3D content....SO, can I set up a different DirecTV box which is 3d capable (ie HR-23 DVR) as a "multiple room viewer" in the same AV cabinet and run cables (ethernet? DECA? coax? combo?) from my HR-20i to the newer 3D capable receiver...THEN also hook that 3D capable receiver up to my 3DTV for a work around? In effect this solution, if it worked, would use the HR20i as the decoder for the MFH-3 (crap protocol from hell) data and then send out a signal that the 3D capable newer DirecTV boxes (HR21, HR22, HR23, HR24) could use?

Question 2: If this would work, will this allow me to send only pre-recorded content? Could I start recording content on my non-3D capable box hooked up on HDMI 1 on my TV then switch over to the 3D box (while the 3d and non-3d boxes are hooked up to each other for "MRV") on HDMI 2 and start streaming that "recorded" program with a few second delay (semi-real time). Could I send signal real time?

THANK YOU!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GTS

GTS

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Short answer, no MRV, no Apps, no Double Play, less HDD space. Not operators fault. This particular leg of Directv's offerings has unfortunately become the proverbial red headed step child.

At this point, all you can do is drop a note and let Directv know what your needs are. If enough people complain, maybe we wont continue to be ignored.

I'm a system operator and I definitely empathize with you. I would be interested to hear from other MFH3 subscribers and operators.

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

:welcome_s

BTW, you don't need to post this twice. :) I bet Earl will find you an answer, he knows the right people ;)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   vader78

vader78

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

They are doing their best to kill of their stock of the HR-20i and they will be rolling out an HR-24i is what I was told by our MSO. We have some MFH3 sites and we (and our customers) are waiting impatiently for that to happen...supposedly this will occur this fall. They are already down to the last pallets of D-11i boxes.

#5 OFFLINE   LunaM

LunaM

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

Sir,

I am a tech support representative from Primecast, and I happened across your post from July about the lack of 3-D service over the MFH3 system.

It's possible I may have spoken to you on the phone about this problem, and if you are the person I am thinking of, the issue was resolved with you by upper management.

However, I did want you to know that we are awaiting a new 3-D receiver, the HR24i, to be released sometime next year. It will be MFH3 compatible. If you like, I can let you know when it's available.

Regards,
Cherise

#6 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:04 PM

Sir,

I am a tech support representative from Primecast, and I happened across your post from July about the lack of 3-D service over the MFH3 system.

It's possible I may have spoken to you on the phone about this problem, and if you are the person I am thinking of, the issue was resolved with you by upper management.

However, I did want you to know that we are awaiting a new 3-D receiver, the HR24i, to be released sometime next year. It will be MFH3 compatible. If you like, I can let you know when it's available.

Regards,
Cherise

Very awesome of you to respond directly and welcome to DBS!

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#7 OFFLINE   greener5000

greener5000

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

Cherise,

When will primecast customers start to receive the HD channels broadcast by the d12 satellite (i.e. wgn HD, msnbc HD, travel channel HD etc.)?

Thanks,

Jeff

#8 OFFLINE   mac2312

mac2312

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

Sir,

Regards,
Cherise

Hi Cherise,

I'm also a Primecast customer and I would appreciate it very much if you could also let me know when the HR24i becomes available. Let me know how I can provide you with my contact info.

Thanks,
Jeff

Edited by mac2312, 18 October 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   snoborderphx

snoborderphx

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

Hello,

I am also a Technical Support Rep with Primecast, and thought that I would answer a question left open on a post below.

The D-12 Satellite is still being upgraded at sites all over the country. If you give me the name of your development, I can give you a rough time frame on when the satellite will be installed in your property, if it hasn't already been upgraded.

No further information has been given regarding the HR24i, and when it will be available.

Also, the comment about the D11i being phased out is incorrect (well, that DTV was on their last pallet). D11i is a SD receiver compatible with only the MFH3 system. This product will stay around for a while to offer customers more options with their STB's.

Thank you,
Stephen B.

#10 OFFLINE   mac2312

mac2312

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Stephen:

I tried to Private Message you but I don't have enough posts on this forum to send a PM.

I would like to know when the satellite is being upgraded at my development.

Icon Brickell
Miami, FL 33131

Thanks!

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,858 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

Stephen:

I tried to Private Message you but I don't have enough posts on this forum to send a PM.

I would like to know when the satellite is being upgraded at my development.

Icon Brickell
Miami, FL 33131

Thanks!

You guys continue misreading ...
Its "the satellite antenna is".

The D-12 Satellite is still being upgraded at sites all over the country

Perhaps 'reception from D12' ?

The satellite is D12 and already up there working fine, not require any upgrade, yet.

#12 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:44 AM

You guys continue misreading ...
Its "the satellite antenna is".

Perhaps 'reception from D12' ?

The satellite is D12 and already up there working fine, not require any upgrade, yet.

You will find subscribers constantly refer to the actual dish itself as "the satellite." :) "Upgrade the satellite" many times = "upgrade the dish."

#13 OFFLINE   mac2312

mac2312

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

You will find subscribers constantly refer to the actual dish itself as "the satellite." :) "Upgrade the satellite" many times = "upgrade the dish."

Thanks TBlazer for pointing that out to PSmith.

The term "satellite" is used very loosely when referring to the actual satellite orbiting space or the satellite dish sitting on the roof. I actually do know the difference between the two and I know that the satellite itself is working as it should since many other subscribers already receive the 3D signals.

Even the Tech Support Rep from Primecast referred to "the satellite" being upgraded but I knew he was referring to the dish on the roof of my development.

#14 OFFLINE   GTS

GTS

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

By way of clarification, the upgrade is neither to the satellite nor the dish. The Dish used is a standard SL5. The upgrade is a hardware and firmware change to the headend. As has been somewhat stated in this thread, the upgrade is only to allow for reception of the entire lineup. All feeds from all satellites. The upgrade will have no affect on the ability to receive 3D programming or to enable Whole Home DVR, neither are possible with the MFH3 system and the HR20 receiver.

By the way, no word of any action on an MFH3 HR24.

Hope this helps.

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

By way of clarification, the upgrade is neither to the satellite nor the dish. The Dish used is a standard SL5. The upgrade is a hardware and firmware change to the headend. As has been somewhat stated in this thread, the upgrade is only to allow for reception of the entire lineup. All feeds from all satellites. The upgrade will have no affect on the ability to receive 3D programming or to enable Whole Home DVR, neither are possible with the MFH3 system and the HR20 receiver.

By the way, no word of any action on an MFH3 HR24.

Hope this helps.

Yeah it does help; :)

But it would help even more helpful for us techies if you could explain a little more (assuming you know of course) as to why specifically the pre-upgraded MFH-3 systems are not able to currently receive the Ka A band?

Just studying the published diagrams and explanations of the MFH-3 system released by DirecTV give no indication for the reasons of this limitation.

Thanks;

#16 OFFLINE   GTS

GTS

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

There are a finite number of tuners (128), one each per transponder from the different satellites including the internationals, in the headend. Prior to the D12 bird going up, all satellites and their transponders were fully covered with plenty of spare tuners for backup. Once the new satellite went up, some of the receivers have to be reassigned from spares to actively receiving the D12 feeds. This sounds simple, but because not all the receivers can process the different signals, SD, HD MPEG 2 and 4 and the way the headend routes the feeds of the different satellites to the onboard receivers, major changes were necessary. The hardware change requires a replacement of the RF plant and rewiring of the associated cabling to incorporate, among other things, BBand converters, amps and switch gear.

In a nutshell, the firmware upgrade reassigns the formerly spare receivers to handle the new bird.

This is a very simplistic overview of the upgrade, but I hope it helps to understand it.

Edited by GTS, 11 January 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,858 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

That better ... Now if you tell us that how many spares was before D12 sat and how many tpns from D12 are 'hot' ie required dedicated receivers ...

#18 OFFLINE   GTS

GTS

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'll just say that the headend, in my opinion, now does not have an adequate number of backup receivers for MPEG 4 HD. We are already running into programming outages because of this. Of course this can be remedied if I merely pony up another $5k for another gateway (32 tuners). This is all I care to say about that.

All transponders have an assigned receiver whether it has any active programming or not. Never know when or where a new channel may pop up.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,858 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

That would be very useful info if you'll reveal the sat/tpn table ! At least tpn count on each sat.

#20 OFFLINE   GTS

GTS

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

That would be very useful info if you'll reveal the sat/tpn table ! At least tpn count on each sat.

Please navigate to the "Directv Tips and Resources forum". There you will find a thread with all the satellite, transponder and channel info you're looking for.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...