Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver Limits for SWM 8 way splitter?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomwrightjm

tomwrightjm

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Just did an upgrade to SWM, Whole Home DVR and swapped out 3 tivos for 3 HR-24's via DTV. (total cost of about $150 by the way for everything).

Having an issue though with the install.

I have 5 DVR's on my whole home system and one of them is always not getting signal.
HR21
HR22
HR24
HR24
HR24

The installer swapped out my old 16 out zinwell multiswitch for a new SWM16 and then has one SWM output going to the 8 way splitter (model Msplit80-03) pictured in this lay out:

72.9.159.118/attachment.php?attachmentid=22820&d=1278904407

I have 7 ports on the 8 way splitter filled, the 5 dual tuner DVR's all via single wire, one coax going to the deca adapter connected to my router, one going to the gray power inserter.

Am I reaching a limit of a single 8 way splitter where you can't power that many tuners with it? Which ever tuner is pulled into the far right port is the one with no signal.

The installer said up front he had never installed a whole home SWM on a house with more than 4 DVR's and I am wondering if he should have used 2 8 way splitters or a different configuration on the 16SWM.

I think the company will be sending the installer back and I want to help him as best I can.

Thanks in advance for any tips, help and advice!

Edited by tomwrightjm, 15 July 2010 - 09:08 PM.
Added splitter model

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

The installer swapped out my old 16 out zinwell multiswitch for a new SWM16 and then has one SWM output going to the 8 way splitter (model Msplit80-03) pictured in this lay out:

72.9.159.118/attachment.php?attachmentid=22820&d=1278904407

That's your problem. The SWM16 has two outputs (each will only handle 8 tuners.) You currently have ten tuners on one side (each DVR is 2 tuners.) It's an easy fix, just move one of the DVR coax lines from the splitter to the second SWM port on the SWM16.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

That's your problem. The SWM16 has two outputs (each will only handle 8 tuners.) You currently have ten tuners on one side (each DVR is 2 tuners. It's an easy fix, just move one of the DVR coax lines from the splitter to the second SWM port on the SWM16.

agreed.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   tomwrightjm

tomwrightjm

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

agreed.

That is what I have done, if only we weren't having a major thunderstorm that is taking out the reception to a few of the satellites!

#5 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

That's your problem. The SWM16 has two outputs (each will only handle 8 tuners.) You currently have ten tuners on one side (each DVR is 2 tuners.) It's an easy fix, just move one of the DVR coax lines from the splitter to the second SWM port on the SWM16.

What he said.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...