Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pulling the trigger on DirecTV (from cable) Anything I should know?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

Good morning!

My wife and I are ready to switch from our local cable company (Insight) to DirecTV, Choice Extra. We are both huge sports fans, so this will be a massive upgrade for us. We are used to having ESPN and ESPN 2. The U, News, and even 3D (one day) will be great. It is a crying shame that ESPN Classic is only on the fully upgraded package.... but I will live :grin:

I really want the HR24. I am coming from a dedicated HTPC, core i7, so I would prefer to have the best UI experience possible. After reading a few threads here, I see that there is no sure way to get the HR24 on install. My question is this... We are interested in Whole Home DVR (I believe it is called MRV here). If we add that to our order, will that guarantee a HR24? I am not completely sure if the older boxes can do MRV or not. Also, we only have coax in each room... not Cat5. Will we have to run Cat5 to each room to take advantage of MRV? Is there a WiFi option? Also, we do not have home phone service at all... we run around with just cell phones. Will this present a problem for DTV service?

We are interested in the Sunday Ticket. Her home team (Packers) are out of market. The only thing holding us back is the price. After reading the many pages on this forum, I see that there is the "CSR Roulette" that may score us a discount. Being a new customer, coming from cable, are my chances greater on getting a few bucks knocked off? If not, there is always buffalo wild wings :rolleyes:

Now, the dish itself. My HOA specifically calls out "No roof mounted dish or antenna". That sucks. They also say no fences, dog houses, different paint, tool sheds.... but that is a different story for a different forum :P I assume this means I have to install it to the side of the house or on a tripod? Also, is there a "best/newest" dish that I recommend they bring with them? We are not interested in international, if that helps.

I'm sure the wife will txt with more questions, but thank you in advance for your help. We are looking forward to HD that isn't QAM :D

Edited by snappjay, 01 August 2010 - 10:39 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,841 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

Good morning!

My wife and I are ready to switch from our local cable company (Insight) to DirecTV, Choice Extra. We are both huge sports fans, so this will be a massive upgrade for us. We are used to having ESPN and ESPN 2. The U, News, and even 3D (one day) will be great. It is a crying shame that ESPN Classic is only on the fully upgraded package.... but I will live :grin:

I really want the HR24. I am coming from a dedicated HTPC, core i7, so I would prefer to have the best UI experience possible. After reading a few threads here, I see that there is no sure way to get the HR24 on install. My question is this... We are interested in Whole Home DVR (I believe it is called MRV here). If we add that to our order, will that guarantee a HR24? I am not completely sure if the older boxes can do MRV or not. Also, we only have coax in each room... not Cat5. Will we have to run Cat5 to each room to take advantage of MRV? Is there a WiFi option? Also, we do not have home phone service at all... we run around with just cell phones. Will this present a problem for DTV service?

We are interested in the Sunday Ticket. Her home team (Packers) are out of market. The only thing holding us back is the price. After reading the many pages on this forum, I see that there is the "CSR Roulette" that may score us a discount. Being a new customer, coming from cable, are my chances greater on getting a few bucks knocked off? If not, there is always buffalo wild wings :rolleyes:

Now, the dish itself. My HOA specifically calls out "No roof mounted dish or antenna". That sucks. They also say no fences, dog houses, different paint, tool sheds.... but that is a different story for a different forum :P I assume this means I have to install it to the side of the house or on a tripod? Also, is there a "best/newest" dish that I recommend they bring with them? We are not interested in international, if that helps.

I'm sure the wife will txt with more questions, but thank you in advance for your help. We are looking forward to HD that isn't QAM :D

HR24s are in short supply. Going WHDVR may make it more likely that you get one. That said, my friend did an upgrade from 9 year old SD boxes to HD and WHDVR last week. He got an HR24-500 and an H24. He is happy as a clam.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

HR24s are in short supply. Going WHDVR may make it more likely that you get one. That said, my friend did an upgrade from 9 year old SD boxes to HD and WHDVR last week. He got an HR24-500 and an H24. He is happy as a clam.

excellent news! Thank you for the information. I will keep my fingers crossed for a 24... :grin:

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

As for Sunday Ticket, you might want to wait a bit if you can to get their yearly Sunday Ticket AND Premier package for like $79/month.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

thanks for the info!

Wife wants to know:
What is a better way to get a deal? Go to an authorized retailer? directv.com? Or call the 1800 number?

#6 OFFLINE   ASG82

ASG82

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

thanks for the info!

Wife wants to know:
What is a better way to get a deal? Go to an authorized retailer? directv.com? Or call the 1800 number?

Follow these instructions

#7 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

Not much way to guarantee HR24 if you order from DirecTV. You can order the receivers from Amazon or Solidsignal and see if you can get full credit or partial credit for the purchase (realize it's still a lease) --- reports have been mixed, but many people have gotten full credit for at least one receiver. All the HR receivers are MRV capable.

Phone service isn't absolutely necessary for most functions.

Whole Home and MRV are the same. During Beta testing it was only called MRV, once it went national they changed the name to Whole House Video and in the newest firmware it's actually labeled that way in the Menu. With the DECA module setups you shouldn't need Cat5 to the individual rooms.

The current Dish is the same regardless. The LNB can be different depending on your specific location. By law the HOA rules are somewhat limited on how they can restrict the location of your Dish assuming you own your home (not a condo or townhouse with common property). A tripod, wall mount, pole mount are all acceptable as long as your line of sight is OK. For that matter if you have a owned home, if your wanted to put an antenna on your roof if it is necessary for appropriate reception there;s not much the HOA could do about it by Federal Law

There are usually some deals floating around on Sunday Ticket, but it is definitely a hit or miss situation.

#8 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

I think you should insist on an HR24. Just make clear that the installers will be turned away if they don't have that model on the truck when they get to your house. No need to be unpleasant, but be firm. I arranged my initial install 3 years ago through a local retailer, Satellite Guy, rather than directly from DirecTV, and that has worked out well for me a couple of times when I needed to get in touch with the local installers. DirecTV wouldn't tell me, but my local guy knows who to call, and in particular, he gave me the phone number of the local warehouse so I could check a couple of weeks ago that I was going to get an HR24 as an upgrade.
Greg

#9 OFFLINE   bryanw3535

bryanw3535

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

The Whole Home DVR should get you an HR 24. And don't worry about not having phone service or the right cabling. The installer will take care of all of that.

As for the Sunday Ticket, in seven days DirecTV will start to nationally announce its Sunday Ticket offer, but it's available now.

Just say:

"I heard about an offer for $59.99 a month for Sunday Ticket with the Premiere package for free" and you're good.

You'll pay $59.99 a month for five months (plus any other add-ons you choose, such as Whole Home DVR). It goes up to the normal Premiere package price after that, but you can always downgrade.

You'll get Sunday Ticket and for five months you'll have pretty much every channel on DirecTV. Including ESPN Classic!

Good luck! :)

#10 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

The Whole Home DVR should get you an HR 24. And don't worry about not having phone service or the right cabling. The installer will take care of all of that.

As for the Sunday Ticket, in seven days DirecTV will start to nationally announce its Sunday Ticket offer, but it's available now.

Just say:

"I heard about an offer for $59.99 a month for Sunday Ticket with the Premiere package for free" and you're good.

You'll pay $59.99 a month for five months (plus any other add-ons you choose, such as Whole Home DVR). It goes up to the normal Premiere package price after that, but you can always downgrade.

You'll get Sunday Ticket and for five months you'll have pretty much every channel on DirecTV. Including ESPN Classic!

Wow, that is HUGE! That is a GREAT price for both! I'll be sure to do that.

Another question... has anyone used the protection plan? We live in an area that sees 70-80 MPH wind at least 10 times a year. When we had Dish years and years ago, we had to pay the installer $100 to come out and re-adjust our dish once a year. I assume the $5 a month will get us free dish adjustments?

#11 OFFLINE   Prince Oz

Prince Oz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

Another question... has anyone used the protection plan? We live in an area that sees 70-80 MPH wind at least 10 times a year. When we had Dish years and years ago, we had to pay the installer $100 to come out and re-adjust our dish once a year. I assume the $5 a month will get us free dish adjustments?

You shouldn't have to worry about that. I am just a little south of you and experience the same thing and have never had to have my dish alligned. I also have the protection plan. Have not had to use it yet, but still have it. Once you get the Premier package, you will not want any other package. I had the Total choice extra for a long time and upgraded to the premier package a little more than a month ago and absolutly love it. Welcome to D*. If you run into any situations, use this forum for there are many people here that can help out.
Prince Oz
Living = HR23-700, Sammy LN52A550, BD350, Yamaha 735
Game Room = Dell XPS 630, 360 Elite, Vizio VS32, HR20
Roll Tide Roll

#12 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

Follow these instructions

Just say:

These are the two "deals" I'm going back and fourth on.
On the $59 for ST and premier, after 5 mo, it goes to REGULAR price? No rebates or intro offers? If so, it would make more since to get xtra now and have rebates of some kind for 24 months. Can I use the rebates on the $59 deal after 5 months?

#13 OFFLINE   bryanw3535

bryanw3535

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

These are the two "deals" I'm going back and fourth on.
On the $59 for ST and premier, after 5 mo, it goes to REGULAR price? No rebates or intro offers? If so, it would make more since to get xtra now and have rebates of some kind for 24 months. Can I use the rebates on the $59 deal after 5 months?

You cannot use the rebates with this deal. I got the deal (installed yesterday after a one-year hiatus from D*) and cannot use rebates. The site won't let you add them, and you can't call to do it.

But if you're a AAA member, you can save $10 a month for 20 months, and that offer does stack with this deal. You must call using their special toll-free number: 1-800-370-3578.

You're right to price them out for 24 months with each option. What would be your total amount paid after 24 months of your preferred package? Don't forget to include the Sunday Ticket in there, too, because its price varies a little based on which path you choose.

Let's say you went with Premiere + Sunday Ticket, to keep things equal. Also I've left out other things like Whole Home DVR, etc., because those are the same on either package.

Premiere is $114.99 a month regularly.

With current offer:
$2,759.76 : 24 months of Premiere
+
$629.86 : Sunday Ticket early bird times two (assuming no discounts, that you'll get it both years, and that the price stays the same in 2011)
-
$288 : $24 bill credit for first 12 months
-
$60 : $5 bill credit for first 12 months

TOTAL: $3,041.62 after 24 months

With the upcoming Sunday Ticket/Premiere offer:
$2,184.81 : 19 months of Premiere (remember, your first 5 months were free)
+
$299.95 : 2010 Sunday Ticket (billed at $59.99 a month for first 5 months)
+
$314.93 : 2011 Sunday Ticket

TOTAL: $2,799.69 after 24 months

The choice is pretty clear to me.

(This is all assuming you don't downgrade either package at some point...)

#14 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

I think you should insist on an HR24. Just make clear that the installers will be turned away if they don't have that model on the truck when they get to your house. No need to be unpleasant, but be firm. I arranged my initial install 3 years ago through a local retailer, Satellite Guy, rather than directly from DirecTV, and that has worked out well for me a couple of times when I needed to get in touch with the local installers. DirecTV wouldn't tell me, but my local guy knows who to call, and in particular, he gave me the phone number of the local warehouse so I could check a couple of weeks ago that I was going to get an HR24 as an upgrade.

Just beware, if you turn the installers away more than once because you don't like what they have to install in your house, your entire order is likely to be 'lost' and 'canceled'. If you did all kinds of special hoopity hoops to get all these deals, and the offers are expired by the time you figure out your order was canceled and try to re-sign up again your out of luck and will have to settle for the current offers.

#15 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

Done. Install set for the 28th. I added a note about the HR24 box. I am getting Whole Home DVR, so I hope we end up getting the 24... If not, I guess I will live :)

Thanks to everyone and the valuable information! I look forward to having more then 4 HD channels!:D

#16 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

I have the protection plan and have used it twice in 9 years. Once a tuner went out on a box and once a connection outside went bad. When the tuner on the box died I had a new box within 48hrs. When the connection went bad I had to wait a few days for a tech but since it was only affecting one box in the house it wasnt a major issue. In both cases, both were done at no additional cost to me.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#17 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

I have the protection plan and have used it twice in 9 years. Once a tuner went out on a box and once a connection outside went bad. When the tuner on the box died I had a new box within 48hrs. When the connection went bad I had to wait a few days for a tech but since it was only affecting one box in the house it wasnt a major issue. In both cases, both were done at no additional cost to me.

So is it really worth having it? At a rate of $5/mo, you have spent $540 on the protection plan. To me, I think you might be better off paying when you need a repair.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#18 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

So is it really worth having it? At a rate of $5/mo, you have spent $540 on the protection plan. To me, I think you might be better off paying when you need a repair.

I am usually not one to buy into the line "small price to pay for peace of mind", but really, $5 bucks is worth the peace of mind.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#19 OFFLINE   FussyBob

FussyBob

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Remember that as a new subscriber you are entitled for free HD (no $10 monthly fee) for life. Also find someone in the neighborhood with DirecTV for referral. Fill out the referal slip and you both get a $100 credit.

Bob P.

#20 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

then don't do DirecTV. They have a problem with audio dropouts. They don't appear to be in any hurry to fix it!:(

spam firewall