Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pulling the trigger on DirecTV (from cable) Anything I should know?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

+ HR-24/100 and H24/100 in master bedroom.
+ Clean install. Where I wanted the dish.
+ Didn't have the ICK on my order, but he installed it anyway... after he called DTV to add it to my order.

- Started install at 5pm. Didn't leave until 10pm. A very long install...
- When he arrived, I asked if he came with a HR-24 and H-24. He said... "Yes, but I don't see what the big deal is. All the boxes are the same." I tried to explain the faster speeds and larger HDD... you could tell he didn't understand...
- I asked about our options of pole install vs roof. He said he wouldn't do pole tonight and it would cost another $75.00 if I wanted it. Wow. So I let him to the roof install, obviously.

+/- I offered him dinner and a beer, but he turned them down. :P

Overall, I'm very happy with the results. Now, if you'd excuse me, I have NASCAR Hot Pass to watch this afternoon. :D:D:D
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 983 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

After you've had a day or two to play around why don't you share the plusses and minuses of your chage from cable to D*.

#53 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

After you've had a day or two to play around why don't you share the plusses and minuses of your chage from cable to D*.

I came from the world of "we will add those channels once your market is ready"

All I wanted was ESPN U... They actually told me in Dec 2009 that Jan 2010 would be when we get U HD. As of last week, there wasn't any mention of ESPN U HD.

Honestly, what caught my attention was ESPN 3D. Do I have HDMI 1.4 gear or a 3DTV? Nope. Is it in the budget? Nope. But the fact that DTV jumps on new technology is extremely refreshing. MRV. TV Apps. DTV2PC... all these are just icing on the cake. I fully expect DTV to be first in line for new channels... especially the sports channels, which is why I switched in the first place.

I mean geez, it makes me dizzy going through the guide! MLB, NFL, ESPN, NASCAR hot pass, VS, SPEED, Big10.... :eek2::eek2::eek2:
I mentioned it earlier, but the largest kick in the pants for me personally was the omission of ESPN Classic. I even got this channel, in HD no less, from my local cable company on the basic tier. With DTV, you have to get the top tier. But there are so many PROS compared to the CONS, it hardly matters. Another missing channel is G4 HD. I know it is more of a Comcast thing holding it back.

The MRV is great. My two 24 boxes talk to each other as if I was in front of the DVR. Excellent.

There are some little things that are great. Pushing UP on the remote to bring up the "quick channels" is nice. Setting MY favs and HER favs are so helpful, rather then searching all day for what we are interested in. The only thing that sucks about the UI is the forward skip. With every cable box, HTPC, etc., skip JUMPS ahead 30 seconds... not this FF for 30 seconds nonsense.

The TV Apps are so slow to start up/respond... it is almost quicker to just reach for the laptop under the couch. What a shame.

I'm sure I'll think of more later :)
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Receivers HR-34/700

#54 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 983 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

With every cable box, HTPC, etc., skip JUMPS ahead 30 seconds... not this FF for 30 seconds nonsense.

Go to your Menu, go to Smart Search, key in "30skip" and move the cursor to the right and when you get the chance to enter the keyword search click OK.

Then try it and see if you like that better.

#55 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

Go to your Menu, go to Smart Search, key in "30skip" and move the cursor to the right and when you get the chance to enter the keyword search click OK.

Then try it and see if you like that better.

John.. thanks a ton for the help! For some reason, I'm not having any luck with the 30skip keyword. I type it in, go to the right, click okay on the "30SKIP", and nothing is under "all". I'm probably doing it wrong. Any hints?
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Receivers HR-34/700

#56 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 983 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

Let's do this again (and I added a step)

Menu > Smart Search > 30SKIP > Select > Now Select "ALL" > Done.

I prefer 30SLIP, but I just changed mine to SKIP (and it worked) and then back to SLIP.

Add those final two steps and see what happens.

#57 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Let's do this again (and I added a step)

Menu > Smart Search > 30SKIP > Select > Now Select "ALL" > Done.

I prefer 30SLIP, but I just changed mine to SKIP (and it worked) and then back to SLIP.

Add those final two steps and see what happens.

perfect. that is just want I wanted.... thanks x100. Have a virtual beer on me.
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Receivers HR-34/700

#58 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 983 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

I assume that it worked?

#59 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

I assume that it worked?

yes I am instantly skipping 30 seconds now. Thanks!
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Receivers HR-34/700

Protected By... spam firewall...And...