Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet Connection Kit Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BigCTM

BigCTM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

I had whole home DVR yesterday installed using DECA with my HR24 and
HR21. It works great with a strong signal.

My question relates to the internet connection kit. My router is in the kitchen and not anywhere close to my receivers. The installer wants to charge me 50.00 and run a wire from the attic to my router. Is this the only option here? I do have a gaming adapter near my HR24. Could I use this to hook it up wirelessly? I really do not want to run a wire. Thanks for any suggestions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

The DECA bridging to the router could use the gaming adapter to make this hop. I'm not sure it's on the approved list, but it has worked for others.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

If I'm not mistaken, if you order the Internet Connection Kit for your DECA/Connected Home install then running a coax from the a splitter to where your router is located as part of the installation price. At least that's what I understand, you might want to call DirecTV and check with them, maybe the installer didn't know that was to be included with the kit.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

If I'm not mistaken, if you order the Internet Connection Kit for your DECA/Connected Home install then running a coax from the a splitter to where your router is located as part of the installation price. At least that's what I understand, you might want to call DirecTV and check with them, maybe the installer didn't know that was to be included with the kit.

I've read so many posts concerning the missing Internet Connection Kit (ICK) and a mark-up to install it. Any 24 series install should include the ICK, no questions asked. This doesn't happen; however, unless the request is made for WHD w/ICK. Mine was installed with no additional charge but I found about this after my order so it had to cancel original upgrade order and then the order was placed for WHD w/ICK. I wasn't charged any additional fee for the ICK but the cancellation did delay my new upgrade by four days.

I've posted this many times in multiple forums; but alas, it remains an issue. I'm guessing this goes back to Directv's former policy of only installing the Internet Connection if requested at install request. Some installers have been kind and installed them anyway but that strictly depends on having spaer DECA modules to be kind with.

Another conflict of information arose over upgrading to HR24s from a otherwise compatible HRx DVR. I was brought HR24s with the upgrade at my request but the installer told me I had to pay for each upgrade. While the statement was true, what I didn't know was that the first HR24 upgrade was included in the upgrade cost (per Retention, I could have had that credited to my account). By refusing the upgraded HR24, I turned away a free upgrade in his opinion. To make-up for this, he sent me a free upgrade minus the shipping ($21.46 with tax). I had called back because it seemed my HR22-100 was not playing nice with MRV p/b as Server or Client when the HR24-500 was upgraded at my cost. I was seeing long delays (up to 20 seconds) coming out of TP FFW/RW 3 or 4. I've yet to see this happening between the 2 HR24-500s.

Seems to be a need for some clearing-up of matters concerning existing customers upgrading to the WHD w/ICK (ask for this... it's by request only, AFAIK) so I posted my lessons learned for anyone considering the upgrade.

#5 OFFLINE   sungam

sungam

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

Sounds like maybe the $50 was for a wall fish to get the cable to the router and not for a cable to the router per se.

spam firewall