Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet Connection Problem (All of a sudden)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Vinny*

Vinny*

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

I had the Whole Home DVR for about 2 months now. I also had the internet connected via DECA and Powerlines to the router. All of a sudden today, none of my receivers are connected to the internet. I am getting the internet wirelessly from the router right now on this computer so it's not the internet connection. All the lights on the Connected Home Adapter connected to the router are green. Any ideas on what can be causing this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

You have powerline adapters between your router and broadband DECA or were you referring to a DECA power supply?

Ideally, on a Directv supported MRV install, a coax line would be dropped near the router from a splitter. Having a powerline adapter or wireless between the broadband DECA and router doesn't fall within a supported definition. IMO, those configurations could and should be avioded.

Nonetheless, have you tried resetting the adapter, router and defaulting the Directv network settings and re-connect? If so, a detailed description of your setup would help diagnose the problem.

#3 OFFLINE   Vinny*

Vinny*

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

You have powerline adapters between your router and broadband DECA or were you referring to a DECA power supply?

Ideally, on a Directv supported MRV install, a coax line would be dropped near the router from a splitter. Having a powerline adapter or wireless between the broadband DECA and router doesn't fall within a supported definition. IMO, those configurations could and should be avioded.

Nonetheless, have you tried resetting the adapter, router and defaulting the Directv network settings and re-connect? If so, a detailed description of your setup would help diagnose the problem.

I have had the internet set up the same as the attached picture for two months. I have one powerline connected to the ethernet port on the whole home adapter and another one to the router. It's connected the way the installer did it. I tried resetting the adapter and my router. I also tried the network settings. All was working fine for two months. Just stopped working for some reason.

Attached Thumbnails

• ICK.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   Vinny*

Vinny*

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

I have had the internet set up the same as the attached picture for two months. I have one powerline connected to the ethernet port on the whole home adapter and another one to the router. It's connected the way the installer did it. I tried resetting the adapter and my router. I also tried the network settings. All was working fine for two months. Just stopped working for some reason.

Just did a red button reset on all three receivers. Internet is now connected.

#5 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Wow. My installer insisted on dropping the Coax beside router and get rid of all existing ETHERNET. Thankfully, he agreed to plug to my central switch.

I'm glad he did it that way; seems the best way to avoid trouble down the road. Not sure what your problem was; glad you're back up and running with your Internet connection.

#6 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

I had the Whole Home DVR for about 2 months now. I also had the internet connected via DECA and Powerlines to the router. All of a sudden today, none of my receivers are connected to the internet. I am getting the internet wirelessly from the router right now on this computer so it's not the internet connection. All the lights on the Connected Home Adapter connected to the router are green. Any ideas on what can be causing this?

My guess is that you somehow had a power glitch. When the DVRs tried to connect to the network, the power line adapters had not yet reset themselves and started transmitting data, leaving the DVRs with nothing to connect to. Most likely a race conditon.

By any chance are your DVRs on UPS battery backup?

Edited by azarby, 17 July 2010 - 12:24 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Vinny*

Vinny*

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

My guess is that you somehow had a power glitch. When the DVRs tried to connect to the network, the power line adapters had not yet reset themselves and started transmitting data, leaving the DVRs with nothing to connect to. Most likely a race conditon.

By any chance are your DVRs on UPS battery backup?

No battery back up. Maybe I should invest in some.

#8 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

No battery back up. Maybe I should invest in some.

Even with battery backup, you may still have some problems if the power glitches and the power line adapters need to reset themselves. The DVRs should be able to ride through this, but since I have never used the power line adapters, I'm really not sure what happens in this case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...