Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Refurbished HR21-200 - jumpy video, turns itself on for no reason, pic frozen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

I have a refurbished HR21-200. It didn't take long before the problems started. Jumpy video, dvr turning itself on, audio drop-outs, and picture completely frozen. Last night was the worst - we were watching a recorded episode of Whale Wars and the picture froze and we couldn't get the DVR to do anything. Did a restart and it was working this morning. I'm not sure what # we're up to right no on restarts. We have to restart everytime the dvr develops jumpy video. Is there something we can have the dvr run so we can check for errors? I thought I saw something on the forum previously but did some searching and just couldn't find the post. Thanks, in advance, for your help!
Home Theater
HR24-200
65 in. Panasonic Plasma VT50
Yamaha RX-A810
Panasonic Blu-ray DMPBDT220

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

If you have it connected to a surge protector try plugging it straight into the wall and see if that helps. Let us know what results you get.

#3 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

If you have it connected to a surge protector try plugging it straight into the wall and see if that helps. Let us know what results you get.

Also....you may want to make sure you have the latest national firmware version in that unit.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

Also....you may want to make sure you have the latest national firmware version in that unit.

I'm assuming you're not referring to the software version which I know how to check. Not sure where to find the firmware version #.
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

I do have it currently plugged into a surge protector. I can unplug and plug it straight into the wall. Before I do so, however, I'd like to know the "science" behind that decision.
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

I do have it currently plugged into a surge protector. I can unplug and plug it straight into the wall. Before I do so, however, I'd like to know the "science" behind that decision.

Most likely the receiver is faulty. However we say that because in our experience the receiver does not work properly when plugged in to some surge protectors. I can't speak for everyone else, but I do not know the science behind it. I just know it can cause problems. Furthermore, a "surge protector" is nothing more than a power splitter. It's probably the biggest myth that they actually protect you against anything.

#7 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

Most likely the receiver is faulty. However we say that because in our experience the receiver does not work properly when plugged in to some surge protectors. I can't speak for everyone else, but I do not know the science behind it. I just know it can cause problems. Furthermore, a "surge protector" is nothing more than a power splitter. It's probably the biggest myth that they actually protect you against anything.

You probably shouldn't lump all "surge potectors" into the same bucket. While many of them are nothing more than power strips (or extension cords), surge protectors do exist. Many surge protectors only protect equipment from small "surges" in power. Something like a close lightning strike is still going to overwhelm its protection.

Worse for DVRs is power "dips". A typical "surge protector" is not going to handle lower power situations. The DVRs are very sensitive to that situation.

It's good to eliminate the surge protector/power strip when trouble shooting, because it if is malfunctioning it could be providing inconsistant power, which wouldn't be good for the DVR.
DogLover

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

I'm assuming you're not referring to the software version which I know how to check. Not sure where to find the firmware version #.

This is normally not something you need to check. When a receiver is installed it automatically updates to the current NR, if needed. This usually happens within the first hour after activation, based on my own experiences.

That said, the current National Release for your box is 0x03DF. You can confirm which version you are running by going to Menu, System Setup. The first screen (Info and Test, IIRC) will show you what release you're on and when you got it.
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

This is normally not something you need to check. When a receiver is installed it automatically updates to the current NR, if needed. This usually happens within the first hour after activation, based on my own experiences.

That said, the current National Release for your box is 0x03DF. You can confirm which version you are running by going to Menu, System Setup. The first screen (Info and Test, IIRC) will show you what release you're on and when you got it.

Thanks all. We have a replacement arriving this week. The csr also mentioned surge protecters might not be what you want to plug the dvr in to. The csr lives in Denver, like us, and knows this city suffers thru tons of power surges. Denver doesn't have the best infrastructure.
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#10 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

I have a refurbished HR21-200. It didn't take long before the problems started. Jumpy video, dvr turning itself on, audio drop-outs, and picture completely frozen. Last night was the worst - we were watching a recorded episode of Whale Wars and the picture froze and we couldn't get the DVR to do anything. Did a restart and it was working this morning. I'm not sure what # we're up to right no on restarts. We have to restart everytime the dvr develops jumpy video. Is there something we can have the dvr run so we can check for errors? I thought I saw something on the forum previously but did some searching and just couldn't find the post. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Most likely you have a bad receiver, which, since it is a refurb, is not surprising. Anyhow, try the following which is a diagnostic submenu most subscribers are not aware of:
Reboot via menu as follows:
Parental, favorites & setup
System setup
Scroll to Reset-press reset
Click on restart receiver-press(DASH) on your Directv remote when prompted
When "running receiver self check" displays, immediately press SELECT-then displays "entering diagnostics mode".
Select Advanced tests Menu-Hard Drive Utilities-Surface Test and run. Be advised this test may take 90 minutes or longer. Do not interrupt the test. This test will indicate PASS or FAIL when complete.

#11 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,593 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

I would too.

The odds on getting an actual refurbished HR are high. You'd be better off getting another replacement rather than screwing around with this one. The last step in any refurbishing process must be making sure the item runs correctly. Obviously, this wasn't done to your "refurbished" HR. Get another replacement, don't waste your time trying to fix the one you have.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Something to think about...when the hard drive hangs, the unit will restart, which should explain its turning on all by itself. Remember...these units are ALWAYS on. When off, they are only in standby. They are still recording. The hard drive is still working. Note that when you turn one "on" you can rewind to the maximum capacity of your unit, even though you weren't watching anything. After a restart, the lights all stay on.
D*tv'er since the beginning...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...