Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC - Several questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GordonT

GordonT

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

I just downloaded DIRECTV2PC from the Directv web site. I'm having some problems, which I will list below, but first allow me to apologize for starting a new thread. I know there are already several of these, but most of the current ones mentioned a specific release; I have no idea what release I have. The application doesn't have (or at least I can't find it) an "about" menu item (or any other menu items, for that matter.

Now to my problems:
I ran the adviser and it flagged my video card and an HDPC issue. I am attaching the output of the adviser.
  • I don't understand the issue about my video card driver version. The advisor said I needed version 7 something, but I have 8.682. I decided to ignore this, assuming that the advisor is not current.
  • The HDPC warning is also confusing. My monitor is attached to the ATI Radeon HD 5450 with a DVI cable instead of an HDMI cable. I don't think my monitor has an HDMI out. Is that a problem? Something IS wrong, because when I try to play any programs from my playlist, they start to play and then I get the error about not being HDPC compliant.

So here I am. If someone can tell me how to find out which version I have, feel free to move my post to the appropriate thread.

P.S. I did see something in one of the threads about the Realtek HD audio manager, but since I'm getting a video (HDPC) error, I didn't think that was relevant.

Attached Files

Edited by GordonT, 18 July 2010 - 11:42 AM.
Upload attachment

TV's:
Samsung HL-R5078W
Mitsubishi VS-50805
Vizio E371VA
Satellite Dish:
Slimline-3S(SWM)
Receivers:
2 HR24-500 0x6bd
H24-100 0x66d
H21-100 0x466d

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

I just downloaded DIRECTV2PC from the Directv web site. I'm having some problems, which I will list below, but first allow me to apologize for starting a new thread. I know there are already several of these, but most of the current ones mentioned a specific release; I have no idea what release I have. The application doesn't have (or at least I can't find it) an "about" menu item (or any other menu items, for that matter.

Now to my problems:
I ran the adviser and it flagged my video card and an HDPC issue. I am attaching the output of the adviser.

• I don't understand the issue about my video card driver version. The advisor said I needed version 7 something, but I have 8.682. I decided to ignore this, assuming that the advisor is not current.
  • The HDPC warning is also confusing. My monitor is attached to the ATI Radeon HD 5450 with a DVI cable instead of an HDMI cable. I don't think my monitor has an HDMI out. Is that a problem? Something IS wrong, because when I try to play any programs from my playlist, they start to play and then I get the error about not being HDPC compliant.

So here I am. If someone can tell me how to find out which version I have, feel free to move my post to the appropriate thread.

P.S. I did see something in one of the threads about the Realtek HD audio manager, but since I'm getting a video (HDPC) error, I didn't think that was relevant.

I looked at your advisor and don't see much of an issue "except" for what could be your monitor.
I used an earlier ATI card [3450] with DVI and had no problem, "but" my Dell monitor supports HDCP, and from the advisor it looks like yours doesn't, while the video card does.
If you read through the thread at the top here, though long, it has some good information for you.
"If" the monitor is causing this, you can change the connection to VGA and not need the HDCP support.
"I think" my post #7 in that thread gives a fairly good breakdown of error messages and what they're from and what to do for them.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   GordonT

GordonT

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

I looked at your advisor and don't see much of an issue "except" for what could be your monitor.
I used an earlier ATI card [3450] with DVI and had no problem, "but" my Dell monitor supports HDCP, and from the advisor it looks like yours doesn't, while the video card does.
If you read through the thread at the top here, though long, it has some good information for you.
"If" the monitor is causing this, you can change the connection to VGA and not need the HDCP support.
"I think" my post #7 in that thread gives a fairly good breakdown of error messages and what they're from and what to do for them.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I'm going to check with Dell to verify that my monitor (1907FP) is not HDCP compliant, but assuming for now that it's not, if I connect a VGA cable from it to my Graphics card, can I leave the DVI cable also connected and somehow have DIRECTV2PC use the analog video but have everything else use the digital video?I really don't want to have to be constantly switching cables, and I also don't want to have to use analog video for everything.

Of course, I could spring for a newer monitor :)

TV's:
Samsung HL-R5078W
Mitsubishi VS-50805
Vizio E371VA
Satellite Dish:
Slimline-3S(SWM)
Receivers:
2 HR24-500 0x6bd
H24-100 0x66d
H21-100 0x466d

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

You can try it, but I'd guess even having the DVI connected will still give you this error.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I'm going to check with Dell to verify that my monitor (1907FP) is not HDCP compliant, but assuming for now that it's not, if I connect a VGA cable from it to my Graphics card, can I leave the DVI cable also connected and somehow have DIRECTV2PC use the analog video but have everything else use the digital video?I really don't want to have to be constantly switching cables, and I also don't want to have to use analog video for everything.

Of course, I could spring for a newer monitor :)

Using VGA instead of DVI should get it working. As far as keeping both connected; unlikely to work. Now be honest, does DVI look any better than VGA? I sure can't tell the difference. But then again I have a cheap 20" Acer LCD screen.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

Using VGA instead of DVI should get it working. As far as keeping both connected; unlikely to work. Now be honest, does DVI look any better than VGA? I sure can't tell the difference. But then again I have a cheap 20" Acer LCD screen.

My Dell 2007WFP looks like crap with VGA and not as bad with DVI.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...