Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

help with mrv requirements

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Hi,

I'd like some help to understand what I would need to do to set up MRV.

Here's my current setup:

2 HR20-700
1 HR22-?

All three are located in the living room. All three have a standard Ethernet connection. All three are using the older two coax connections to the DTV multiswitch with BBCs.

I'm currently feeding 5 other rooms from these three DVRs using component video and stereo audio cables through a component video switch.

Maintaining and supporting this setup can be onerous, so I'd like something simpler/easier and considering just switching to MRV.

I think I understand that, at a minimum, I'd need a coax run from the DTV multiswitch to a receiver in each of the other rooms. I'd prefer not to have to run CAT5 to the other rooms, but could if necessary.

I've read about SWM and DECA but don't fully understand how or if this would work with my current receivers.

I'd appreciate any advice on what I'd need to set up MRV or any suggestions of alternate options that may be simpler and easier to maintain.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

I'd like some help to understand what I would need to do to set up MRV.

Here's my current setup:

2 HR20-700
1 HR22-?

All three are located in the living room. All three have a standard Ethernet connection. All three are using the older two coax connections to the DTV multiswitch with BBCs.

I'm currently feeding 5 other rooms from these three DVRs using component video and stereo audio cables through a component video switch.

Maintaining and supporting this setup can be onerous, so I'd like something simpler/easier and considering just switching to MRV.

I think I understand that, at a minimum, I'd need a coax run from the DTV multiswitch to a receiver in each of the other rooms. I'd prefer not to have to run CAT5 to the other rooms, but could if necessary.

I've read about SWM and DECA but don't fully understand how or if this would work with my current receivers.

I'd appreciate any advice on what I'd need to set up MRV or any suggestions of alternate options that may be simpler and easier to maintain.

Thanks!

With your current setup they would change out the old 4 line LNB to a SWM (Single Wire) LNB. They would replace your WB68 multswitch with a 4 port SWM splitter.

1 line from each of the DVR's would be disconnected as they will no longer be needed.

A 21volt Power inserter will be added to power the SWM LNB.

All three receivers will get a DECA unit (Directv Ethernet Over Coax). This will use the already existing coax to create a network between your receivers.

Should you decide to add On Demand networked in, a seperate coax will need to run to your router and a deca unit be placed there.

What happens is the DECA units diplex or mix the ethernet in with the already existing coax. This creates a local network between your receivers that allows them to share recorded programs.

#3 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

So the existing HR20s will work with the SWM?

I assume that I'll be paying for new receivers in the rooms that need them. Should I also expect to pay for coax runs, DECA adapters, the LNB, etc?

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

Also there is a whole forum dedicated to the Connected Home.
http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   TEN89

TEN89

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

if all 3 are located in the living room, why would you want MRV?

#6 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

I assume that I'll be paying for new receivers in the rooms that need them. Should I also expect to pay for coax runs, DECA adapters, the LNB, etc?

Thanks

The coax runs, DECA, LNB, etc are covered when you purchase whole home DVR. There might not even be a reason for you to buy new receivers; how many rooms would you like to be able to MRV/watch TV in? You can always cut that total by moving two of the HR's to two different rooms; with whole home it doesn't matter where the receivers are actually located. There's also the added benefit of Directv2PC, so having a computer can reduce your receiver total even further...

Edited by dsw2112, 18 July 2010 - 07:59 PM.

SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#7 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

if all 3 are located in the living room, why would you want MRV?

I'd be moving 2 to other rooms and adding receivers in other rooms.

#8 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

The coax runs, DECA, LNB, etc are covered when you purchase whole home DVR. There might not even be a reason for you to buy new receivers; how many rooms would you like to be able to MRV/watch TV in? You can always cut that total by moving two of the HR's to two different rooms; with whole home it doesn't matter where the receivers are actually located. There's also the added benefit of Directv2PC, so having a computer can reduce your receiver total even further...

So, my only up-front cost would be for additional receivers?

I'm looking at a total of 6, maybe 7, rooms. So leaving one existing DVR in the living room and moving 2 others to other rooms, I'd still need to add 3 or 4 receivers to cover all of them.

Thanks

#9 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

So, my only up-front cost would be for additional receivers?

I'm looking at a total of 6, maybe 7, rooms. So leaving one existing DVR in the living room and moving 2 others to other rooms, I'd still need to add 3 or 4 receivers to cover all of them.

Thanks

Your up-front costs (in addition to the extra receivers) will also include the whole home DVR install ($150), which includes the install, coax runs, DECA, etc. Some have gotten it cheaper, waived, etc... I'd call and see what they'll work out for everything.

P.S. You would still have the $3 monthly whole home DVR fee.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

So if you are looking at 3 or 4 new receivers in addition to the 3 DVR's you already have that puts you above 8 total tuners so a SWM LNB wouldn't be adequate. You would also need an upgrade to I'm guessing a SWM-16 multiswitch -- I'm guessing that would included in your install fee if you add several new receivers.

#11 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,661 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

So if you are looking at 3 or 4 new receivers in addition to the 3 DVR's you already have that puts you above 8 total tuners so a SWM LNB wouldn't be adequate. You would also need an upgrade to I'm guessing a SWM-16 multiswitch -- I'm guessing that would included in your install fee if you add several new receivers.

Correct. When the number of tuners requiring support exceed 8...the SWiM16 is the recommended and typically-installed unit. The SWiMLNB dish works fine for up to and including 8 tuners.

The simple key - it's not the number of devices connected...it's the number of tuners. DVR's have 2 tuners, receivers 1.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

When I had MRV installed the installer replaced my HR20 after he couldn't get MRV to work. He said it was not compatible. But that was before he replaced my dish so it might have been the dish causing the problems and not the HR20. I read where others have HR20s in their MRV setup and they work fine. So I guess it depends.

spam firewall