Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Re-aim Dish or get rid of Directv

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

A few things here to discuss:

Mogulman: Your numbers are good enough although they could be improved slightly. The tilt is off as 119 should be about 95 plus a half turn or so on the fine adjustments to get 103c at 95s and 99 in the 85 to 95 range. However, you have it about as good as it gets as far as rain fade is concerned, that is, the additional adjustments would not materially effect onset and duration of rain fades.

cavman: Rain fade is a fact of nature and until some basic Laws of Physics are repealed will always occur. The real culprit in the rain fade equation is the thunderhead, filled with moisture, boiling up 50-60k feet to the SouthWest. A heavy rain can cause some attenuation, but its all the water in the thunderhead that does most of the damage. It is possible to have no rain at your house, but a thunderstorm passing to the south of your location will take out the signal. Conversely, it can be raining cats and dogs at your house, a real gully washer, but you will not lose signal.

The 'alignment procedure' you described by the 'expert installer' gave me a good chuckle. Given the same receiver, readings in the 80s are not better than readings in the 90s - no way! Now, it is entirely possible there were other issues (coax, connectors, etc.) that could be effected by weather and lumped in the broad category of 'rain fade' that could have been causing your problems. These could have been fixed as the 'expert' made changes to your system.

The antenna is either aligned on the satellite or it's not. The expressions "not properly locked in" and "receiving on the side of the signal" as reportedly used by your 'expert' would require some explanation for what he really meant for me to comment on what he was really doing. But on their face, they are nonsense terms when used in connection of aligning a DTV dish.

I don't wish rain fade on anyone and I would certainly like for you to never experience that phenomena again. But physics says you will, unfortunately. I suspect the recent rain event, when you did not lose reception, was a local thundershower almost directly overhead and the southwestern sky was clear or only partly cloudy.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

90+ signal being a false positive and catching the edge of the signal? Signal in the 80's is better now than the 90's? Never heard this before? Anybody care to elaborate?

In order to "Peak" the Ka band doesn't the Ku band go "off-peak" a little? I thought I read this in the install docs back when the sirdecar dish came out. It made dish pointing more of a science than than the old round dishes.

So smaller numbers on the Ku would make sense if the Ka were truly "peaked".

In our area in clear weather we will get 90's+ on most sats.

#23 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

The antenna is either aligned on the satellite or it's not.

Right - but which one? - lol. You can have a really good signal on one and still be bad on another.

#24 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

I've noticed that since the new satellite went into service that we've been getting more skips/drop outs and rain fade is worse. Probably coincidence...maybe..

Anyway.. I have an HR20 and an H21 hooked up to a Slimline dish. It was installed about 2 years ago as an upgrade from SD service.

I've attached signal strengths from the 103 sats.

Is this something that can be fixed by re-aiming my dish. If so... is there anyway for me to get this done without paying for it?

I lost my job a few weeks ago.. I can't really afford to pay to have someone make this better. I've been contemplating getting rid of Directv to save money, and if this is going to cost something, then that might make my decision for me. I'll either go to bundled cable (with my internet) or just do OTA with my HTPC.

I'm kind of handy myself, but I've tried aiming my dish (older dish) a few times in the past without really making anything better.

BTW.. I've had service for about 8 years. I'm not under contract right now.

Any suggestions?

i say get rid of directv

#25 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

i say get rid of directv

You didn't even provide anything to validate your recommendation. I say, stick to the HD Lite forum, with the provider you obviously love.
HR34-700, HR22-100

spam firewall