Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Please fill me in on HDMI.

speaker grills

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,437 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

That's true but when you've got a 50 foot component cable the difference is very noticeable and distracting. Xbox 360 also has tiny bit of ghosting when set to 1080p on my 50" plasma but 720p looks okay but HDMI eliminates the problem altogether.

Don't own an X-box, but are you saying that both your Xbox and display support 1080p over component? I thought 1080i was the max for component. :scratchin
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

Don't own an X-box, but are you saying that both your Xbox and display support 1080p over component? I thought 1080i was the max for component. :scratchin

Steve, I don't know about the X-box but I do believe my Sony tv will do 1080p over component. I'll check to book when I get home.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#23 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,437 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Steve, I don't know about the X-box but I do believe my Sony tv will do 1080p over component. I'll check to book when I get home.

I just did a little Googling, and it looks like while Blu-ray players don't allow 1080p over component, the X-box does. So it's possible displays can handle it and it's the box with the source content that determines if it's "legal" to send it out over component.

Now I wonder what happens if you put a 1080p BD in an x-box? :scratchin
/steve

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

It explodes into a rain of kittens and bunnies.
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

I just did a little Googling, and it looks like while Blu-ray players don't allow 1080p over component, the X-box does. So it's possible displays can handle it and it's the box with the source content that determines if it's "legal" to send it out over component.

Now I wonder what happens if you put a 1080p BD in an x-box? :scratchin

I would guess that 1080p over component would be good for the 1080p home video cameras. I don't think the copy protection would allow the BD to play on the X-box over component.

those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#26 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

It explodes into a rain of kittens and bunnies.

Stu, that is by far my favorite post ever by a mod.

...when you've got a 50 foot component cable the difference is very noticeable and distracting...

You are correct, but how well component and HDMI do comparatively on distances over, say, 10 meters is a completely different issue; especially since neither protocol was designed (at least originally) to ever do that. In conventional usage, the arguments here don't apply.

I think I would opt for HDMI (which might even need an active repeater) for a long pull, exactly because of the potentials for problems with component that you describe. Component at long distances can suffer from time smear (which unregisters the color similar to a CRT with poor convergence) and reflection (which implies the need for high-quality for such cables, which may not have that problem).

There is also uneven rolloff of the signal, but that can be mostly fixed by increasing the chroma, sharpness, and brightness just slightly at the display.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall