Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

pause & rewind live TV with non-DVR receiver?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

I was just on the phone with DirecTV asking questions. The lady I spoke with was nice and seemed fairly knowledgeable, but said something that I have a hard time believing.

She said with MRV if you are watching live TV in a room using a non-DVR receiver (say an H24), you can pause or rewind just as you can with a DVR. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

I believe that you can't watch live TV from a DVR using a non-DVR receiver. Infact you can't do that between two DVRs, unless one is streaming a recording.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

What she says is not true. You cannot pause or rewind live TV on the H24 (or H23/H21).

What you could do is hit the record button on the H24 and tell it to record to one of your HD-DVRs. Then you would use MRV to start watching that recording on the H24. You would be watching a few seconds behind live TV but it will give you the ability to rewind and pause on the non-DVR unit. This will tie up a tuner on your DVR though, so you may run into recording conflicts, or problems if someone else tries watching TV in the room that the HD-DVR is located in.

#4 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

What she says is not true. You cannot pause or rewind live TV on the H24 (or H23/H21).

What you could do is hit the record button on the H24 and tell it to record to one of your HD-DVRs. Then you would use MRV to start watching that recording on the H24. You would be watching a few seconds behind live TV but it will give you the ability to rewind and pause on the non-DVR unit. This will tie up a tuner on your DVR though, so you may run into recording conflicts, or problems if someone else tries watching TV in the room that the HD-DVR is located in.

That's how I expected it would work. Thanks for confirming.

So, if decide I can't live without pausing live TV in other rooms, I'll order DVRs for them too :)

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

Or, if you think you might want that functionality while watching live, just record it :)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

Or, if you think you might want that functionality while watching live, just record it :)

While stated with appropriate humor, this is a very valuable tool that I have used on many occasions. One other nice use is walking in on a good program where the box is already tuned, but of course, you won't recording it. Simply hit the record button, and it begins recording at the start of the program, assuming it is within the 90 minute buffer. This way, you can rewind to the start of the program and begin watching it in "non-realtime".:)
...and you have Stuart's tip of being able to use all your trick play functions on this recording, as you wish.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

spam firewall