Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New roof

swm

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   420benz

420benz

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

The dish is installed on the roof.Should i let the roofer remove and re-install the dish or should i call D* to do it?
D* HR24-500
DVR R16-300
2 Std. D11-100
Samsung HL-R6167w TV
Onkyo Receiver HT-R340
Samsung DVD-HD 850
Panasonic DMR-ES 35V Combo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

If you are handy with a wrench and are comfortable possibly having to re-tweak it a little bit just let the roofer do it if there is no extra charge and he can do it without cutting the lines and messing stuff up. It should come off with minimal adjustment, if any at all. I have taken them down and not adjusted any settings. You could probably do it yourself as well.

If you don't feel you would be able to tweak it if needed, and it is really easy BTW, D* doing it is probably your best bet. Someone else will know if they need to both take it down and put it up or just put it up. I believe just up.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Have the roofer do it. This way they can't come back and say "your warranty is void, you put a dish in the roof" If they install it, they take responsibility if it leaks. (And they won't let it leak).

Most roofers do a pretty good job of re-mounting it. If you haven't had a service call in over a year call D* and setup a service call for the day after your roof is done.

DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT A NEW ROOF!!!!

A lot of D* CSR's will mark this as "Customer Caused" and the service call will not be free. If you say "I think my dish is out of alignment" which it will be, they will probably send someone out for free.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT A NEW ROOF!!!!

Don't mention anything you don't have to. :)

Speaking only when spoken to seems to be the best advice with many CSRs :grin:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   franko

franko

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

I just went through this 3 weeks ago. The roofer took down the dish and put it back in the same holes. As I expected the dish needed to be fine tuned when they were done. I didn't think this would be a problem as I have the protection plan and thought it would be covered. I was wrong and was charged $49.95 plus tax for the service call. If you have the protection plan don't tell customer service your dish was taken down so a new roof could be installed and than replaced as I did because it's not covered. Just tell them the wind blew it out of alignment and they will pay for it and save your self $50.00

#6 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

I just went through this 3 weeks ago. The roofer took down the dish and put it back in the same holes. As I expected the dish needed to be fine tuned when they were done. I didn't think this would be a problem as I have the protection plan and thought it would be covered. I was wrong and was charged $49.95 plus tax for the service call. If you have the protection plan don't tell customer service your dish was taken down so a new roof could be installed and than replaced as I did because it's not covered. Just tell them the wind blew it out of alignment and they will pay for it and save your self $50.00

Yep. Pretty much what I said. However if you have already had a service call this year, then you probably won't get another for free till next year.

#7 OFFLINE   420benz

420benz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 580 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

Great advise. But when it was installed D* installed the cables on top of the roof about 12" from the end. these cables will be removed in order to install the new roof. I don't want the cables back on the roof. I am having problems when it rains. Maybe that would be a good reason to call for a dish adjustment. How can i get them to reinstall the cables.
D* HR24-500
DVR R16-300
2 Std. D11-100
Samsung HL-R6167w TV
Onkyo Receiver HT-R340
Samsung DVD-HD 850

#8 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

Great advise. But when it was installed D* installed the cables on top of the roof about 12" from the end. these cables will be removed in order to install the new roof. I don't want the cables back on the roof. I am having problems when it rains. Maybe that would be a good reason to call for a dish adjustment. How can i get them to reinstall the cables.

It's hard to say without knowing how much work it is to relocate the cables. You might be able to work something out with the tech that comes out to peak your dish.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

As long as you dont have a problem being dishonest about it...:nono:

#10 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

As long as you dont have a problem being dishonest about it...:nono:

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I guess I'm just morally gray. !Devil_lol

#11 OFFLINE   420benz

420benz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 580 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

I could relocate the cables myself. When i remove the cables from the box in the attic,will the HR-24 need to be reset?
D* HR24-500
DVR R16-300
2 Std. D11-100
Samsung HL-R6167w TV
Onkyo Receiver HT-R340
Samsung DVD-HD 850

Protected By... spam firewall...And...