Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR24/U Verse router

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

HI ALL
I have U Verse internet using their 2WIRE router. I had a HR20 hooked up for ON DAMAND and it worked great
I am now trying to hook up a HR24 to the router using ethernet cable same as the HR20 and I cant get the HR24 to connect.
I go into the menu and go thru the network setup and get an error when trying to connect.
Cable is good, connections are correct but no go.
Called DTV and they say I have to get some ports on the router opened up so the HR24 will work.
This seems odd since the HR20 worked OK.
DTV had me call "THE GEEKS" to open the ports. The GEEKS did not know what I was talking about.
Has anyone had this problem? I am lost and DTV, GEEKS and U-VERSE has me running in circles.

SSTV
SINCE94

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

I also have U-verse. Their included all in one super base station router and motherhip is a piece of garbage. Get a different router. Just use a short jumper from u-verse to the linksys/belkin/etc.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,387 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

Go through and repeat the SAT setup with the ethernet plugged in . . . the HR24 selects the DECA (coax) or the Ethernet port upon bootup. It may have selected the DECA incorrectly.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

The OP didn't mention that he has DECA. Could the HR24 default to DECA even if there isn't one?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

The OP didn't mention that he has DECA. Could the HR24 default to DECA even if there isn't one?

Yes..

If it detects that the unit is on a SWiM setup, and no network on the ethernet connection... it will default to DEA
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

Hi All
Problem solved.
Dennisj00 and Earl nailed it.

Thanks to everyone
SSTV
since 94

#7 OFFLINE   texasboy1022

texasboy1022

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

How has your experience been with UVerse internet? Problems, speed fast?
I switched to D* a month and a half ago, love it! I still have TWC for internet and I would love to get away from them completely. What is the max download speed UVerse will let you have? I went to a local ATT store and they told me it was 6mpbs if you do not have the TV package, this true?
I have 7mbps and would like more. Mine was so slow last night (down to 4.5) that the programs I was streaming from Netflix looked bad and often broke down. When I am around 7, it is perfect and the picture looks like I am watching D*.
Thanks for the input.

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

How has your experience been with UVerse internet? Problems, speed fast?
I switched to D* a month and a half ago, love it! I still have TWC for internet and I would love to get away from them completely. What is the max download speed UVerse will let you have? I went to a local ATT store and they told me it was 6mpbs if you do not have the TV package, this true?
I have 7mbps and would like more. Mine was so slow last night (down to 4.5) that the programs I was streaming from Netflix looked bad and often broke down. When I am around 7, it is perfect and the picture looks like I am watching D*.
Thanks for the input.

I've had Uverse Internet for a year now and it's awesome. I do not have Uverse TV. I had 18 when I first got it and lowered it down to 6. And it's a solid 6 that never slows down. I've only had 2 outages and that was in the first month and was due to growing pains on their part (I got it the first day it was available).

The 6 I get is plenty good for doing HD streaming from Hulu and Netflix. I plan to upgrade to 12 soon which is only $10 a month more. That will give plenty of headroom for streaming and doing other stuff at the same time.

Not sure what the AT&T store is telling you but you can get any speed you want, TV service not needed. However, it will be a LOT cheaper to get both TV and Internet installed and just cancel the TV part after a month.
Why?
Because so long as you get TV service installed you'll get free installation (normally $150) AND you'll usually get at least $200 in rebates. Just wait 30 days or until your rebates process, whichever is later, and you can cancel the TV part.

Basically they'll pay you $200 and free installation and in the end you'll have Internet only. :D

How good your service will be a lot of times comes down to how far you are from the VRAD box. But there is no commitment so get it hooked up and see how it is for you. After 30 days you can cancel the whole thing. In the meantime don't cancel your cable service until you're sure you'll keep Uverse.

#9 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

Hi All
U-Verse internet is great!! Never had a outage.
Bonscott87 pretty well summed it up. I never had the TV, just internet from day one.

SSTV
Since 94

#10 OFFLINE   texasboy1022

texasboy1022

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

I've had Uverse Internet for a year now and it's awesome. I do not have Uverse TV. I had 18 when I first got it and lowered it down to 6. And it's a solid 6 that never slows down. I've only had 2 outages and that was in the first month and was due to growing pains on their part (I got it the first day it was available).

The 6 I get is plenty good for doing HD streaming from Hulu and Netflix. I plan to upgrade to 12 soon which is only $10 a month more. That will give plenty of headroom for streaming and doing other stuff at the same time.

Not sure what the AT&T store is telling you but you can get any speed you want, TV service not needed. However, it will be a LOT cheaper to get both TV and Internet installed and just cancel the TV part after a month.
Why?
Because so long as you get TV service installed you'll get free installation (normally $150) AND you'll usually get at least $200 in rebates. Just wait 30 days or until your rebates process, whichever is later, and you can cancel the TV part.

Basically they'll pay you $200 and free installation and in the end you'll have Internet only. :D

How good your service will be a lot of times comes down to how far you are from the VRAD box. But there is no commitment so get it hooked up and see how it is for you. After 30 days you can cancel the whole thing. In the meantime don't cancel your cable service until you're sure you'll keep Uverse.

Great idea! I will probably do that. Do they have to hook the TV or can you just have them just do the internet? I want to keep D* hooked up, too great to compromise even 30 days without for me.
I can finally get completely away from TWC, they are terrible.

#11 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Yup. U-Verse internet is solid. I pay for 12mb/d and pull 11.5mb/d on a speed test any given hour of any given day. Unlike cable where I paid for 10mb and got 5mb after 5pm.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

Great idea! I will probably do that. Do they have to hook the TV or can you just have them just do the internet? I want to keep D* hooked up, too great to compromise even 30 days without for me.
I can finally get completely away from TWC, they are terrible.

No reason why they have to do anything with your DirecTV. All they got to do is plug it into a spare input on your TV and they are happy. What do they care if you still have DirecTV? They don't. They did ask me and I said I was just trying Uverse TV out but didn't want to cancel DirecTV just yet. He said "cool" and went about his business.

Thus for me they just ran a coax to my TV area (I didn't have a spare) to plug into the Uverse DVR. Just had him plug it into the TV via RCA cables, he set it up and was happy and sent him on his way. I think I played with it twice the first week and then just unplugged it all and boxed it up. After I canceled I shipped it back on their dime. No fuss, no muss. :)

spam firewall