Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

To Whom Do I Complain?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

To whom do I complain about wrong EPG information?

Does anyone know where that information is coming from? I have two or three OTA channels for which the EPG shows wrong information.

Two of them are simply mirrors of other local channels, but show the wrong local channel. I.e. 9-02 should be the same as 9-00 but instead is showing information for 29-01 (which is the same as 29-00). :confused:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

Tech support at Dish is probably your best bet to report yourself...

IF you post the info here, one of us can try and pass it on as well. Ideally if one of us (Dish mods) lives in your DMA we could spot check and see if we are having the same problem... but failing that, if you can provide some details we can run it up the flagpole and see what happens.

The best info to have would be:

1. OTA channel (or sub-channel) that has missing or wrong EPG data.
2. Call-letters (ex WRAL) for that channel as well as network affiliation (ex FOX) if applicable.
3. IF wrong info, instead of missing, what wrong info is being used.

The more info the better.

I know I've reported some issues in my own DMA. Some have been fixed, some not... so admittedly it is hit-or-miss at times, especially if not one of the major networks.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

The EPG as a whole just plain SUCKS!!!! More so lately. Many many things wrong, missing, just plain left out.

Good luck on a few OTA's. They can't even get the regular stuff right.

#4 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

The EPG as a whole just plain SUCKS!!!! More so lately. Many many things wrong, missing, just plain left out.

Good luck on a few OTA's. They can't even get the regular stuff right.

I think it is more likely that the channels change their programming without notice.

#5 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

I think it is more likely that the channels change their programming without notice.

Oh No! I have been following and commenting on this for years. And even some people at DISH admitted that they are taking the cheap way out with the content provider. And leaving out episode descriptions and the information to make timers fire accurately has nothing to do with the channels changing. And even if it was, and I have physically tracked this, it is very few programs that get changed and it is happens in plenty of time for DISH to "adjust" the EPG. They just don't do it. And Tribune/Zap2it's own listings inaccuracy matches that of DISH but not TitanTV, TVGuide nor the stations themselves who seem to be able to get ti right 99.9% of the time. So the "they changed the program excuse" doesn't have any weight. The printed version of the TVGuide seems to be far more accurate than the DISH EPG. And that has a point of no return a lot further out than the EPG. How could this be? DISH could have picked a far better provider and hasn't. And this has been a problem for some time and is getting worse and as per a Field Supervisor, "only going to get worse", along with customer service.

#6 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

I stand corrected, Bob.

I checked out Windows Media Center on Windows 7. The program guide there seems to be better. At least it has the missing "Digital Service" channels. Not only does it show the OTA channels I get, but it shows any channel within a hundered miles or so.

My specific problems with the EPG I get in Dish: It shows "Digital Service" for 2-3, tpt, whereas the programming is the same as what Dish provides me as 17-0, KTCI. For 9-2, KMSP, it is showing it as a mirror of 29-0, WFTC instead of correct listing it as a mirror of 9-0, KMSP. In addition I get "Digital Service" shown for 45-2, THiS.

On the other hand, it is showing correct information for the "extra" subchannels 2-2 and 5-2. Microsoft is doing a much better job, showing everything and then some.

For 9 KMSP and 29 WFTC, I don't think anyone has this straight, not even the government http://www.fcc.gov/m...gineering/maps/. My scan shows two channels, listed as 9-2 and 29-1. Everyone, FCC, antennaweb, and the stations themselves says 9 is actually on 9 vhf and 29 is 29 uhf. If that were true, I don't think I would get it since I only have a homemade uhf 4-bay bowtie antenna and I am almost 50 miles away. If anything, I should get 11 since it is a higher frequency, same distance and power. I think in fact, while 29-1 is the first channel on RF 29, the scond one, 29-2 is actually the one and only OTA channel for KMSP, 9-2. Someone closer to Minneapolis can correct me if I am wrong.

#7 OFFLINE   speedboat

speedboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

To whom do I complain about wrong EPG information?

Does anyone know where that information is coming from? I have two or three OTA channels for which the EPG shows wrong information.

Two of them are simply mirrors of other local channels, but show the wrong local channel. I.e. 9-02 should be the same as 9-00 but instead is showing information for 29-01 (which is the same as 29-00). :confused:

I had the same problem a year ago, complain to dish didn't help at all.

Complaining here did help. A user named Jason Nipp, forwarded my complaint to someone that could help and within 24 hours, my EPG was fixed.

I know how frustrating incorrect EPG can be, I hope you get it resolved soon.

#8 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

I had the same problem a year ago, complain to dish didn't help at all.

Complaining here did help. A user named Jason Nipp, forwarded my complaint to someone that could help and within 24 hours, my EPG was fixed.

I know how frustrating incorrect EPG can be, I hope you get it resolved soon.

What were you lucky enough to have fixed? Was it a "hit" to the receiver to make it reDL the EPG? I think what we are talking about would be a global "dramatic" and hopefully permanent fix. I have complained here for a long time and it's only getting worse. Just like the Field Super told me it would.

Like just the other day . . .
Timer: Dr. Who - New - Sat Nights - 7:00pm-8:00pm
then Wednesday morning at 3:00am this shows up . . .

Dr. Who - 3:00pm-4:00pm
135 BBCA, Mon 7/19
Matt Smith, Karen Gillian. A Time Lord travels through the universe and time. (HD) (CC) (Stereo)
TV Listings © Tribune Media Services

Episode: N/A Original Air Date: 03-26-05

Well I am seeing a lot of listings that are bland like this. And I know I have seen accurate info before. So I know it's available, and that they have had once before. But now every episode that has aired but they choose not to put all the info in the listing has an Original Air Date of 01-01-(that year). But more to the point, this showed up Wednesday morning and not Monday afternoon as the time indicates, this was not an episode that should have been recorded. Why then? Also Matt Smith is the new Dr., and was not around on 03-26-05 and the episode, which has a number, that was actually airing had David Tennant in it not Matt Smith.

It's this lame, inaccurate information that drives the timers and our ability to accurately find out what is worth watching and we are paying for, is what I am complaining about.

This shot was taken today so that I could get David in the frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• DrWho.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   speedboat

speedboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

What were you lucky enough to have fixed? Was it a "hit" to the receiver to make it reDL the EPG? I think what we are talking about would be a global "dramatic" and hopefully permanent fix. I have complained here for a long time and it's only getting worse. Just like the Field Super told me it would.

Like just the other day . . .
Timer: Dr. Who - New - Sat Nights - 7:00pm-8:00pm
then Wednesday morning at 3:00am this shows up . . .

Dr. Who - 3:00pm-4:00pm
135 BBCA, Mon 7/19
Matt Smith, Karen Gillian. A Time Lord travels through the universe and time. (HD) (CC) (Stereo)
TV Listings © Tribune Media Services

Episode: N/A Original Air Date: 03-26-05

Well I am seeing a lot of listings that are bland like this. And I know I have seen accurate info before. So I know it's available, and that they have had once before. But now every episode that has aired but they choose not to put all the info in the listing has an Original Air Date of 01-01-(that year). But more to the point, this showed up Wednesday morning and not Monday afternoon as the time indicates, this was not an episode that should have been recorded. Why then? Also Matt Smith is the new Dr., and was not around on 03-26-05 and the episode, which has a number, that was actually airing had David Tennant in it not Matt Smith.

It's this lame, inaccurate information that drives the timers and our ability to accurately find out what is worth watching and we are paying for, is what I am complaining about.

This shot was taken today so that I could get David in the frame.

In my case two of the channels were flipped. Tried contacting Dish, the stations, even the FCC... no one would help.... but dbstalk did. Good luck

#10 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

I still haven't complained to anyone (except here).

The EPG for Windows Media Center is provided by Zap2it.

The interesting thing is that there is EPG info (of sorts) within the digital data stream. I hooked up the UHF antenna directly to my Dynex HD TV. The TV knows what is playing, what is on next, and even what comes after. I didn't really check out how far it would go, but it seemed to be about 12 hours. I was impressed. It now only knows what is playing, but has a short description about it, similar to Dish's EPG.

It only knows about the channel that it is currently tuned to. It has to be in-band, provided by the broadcasting station. It's not like my TV has an internet connection or any other way of getting information.

As far as KMSP, Fox 9, and WFTC, My 29, They are under common ownership. It seems that they are providing an SD feed of Fox 9 on the second subchannel of UHF 29. The My 29 feed on 29-1 is beautiful HD. They might be doing something similar, but reversed, on VHF 9 but I don't know. I still wish the guide was right.

#11 OFFLINE   Yes616

Yes616

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

The guide data is provided to Dish by Tribune Media Services (that is the same company that runs Zap-2-It). Dish must provide this info to our receivers via satellite.

I have been in contact with a few people at Tribune Media and they were able to help fix some problems I was having but not all of them. They can't fix what Dish doesn't provide at this time. That's when you only see "Digital Service". If it's wrong, you have a better chance of getting it fixed. It is just a change. But this doesn't always work..

Recently we tried to get a sub-channel of WRNN fixed. Someone new on WRNN's programming staff (they need to provide the info to Tribune) told Tribune that they should not have anything to do with providing this info to them for transmission via satellite. The guy just did not get it and still doesn't even after I tried to explain to him how this all works. What are you going to do? How long can you keep banging your head against the wall? So soon after all of this, the guide data for WRNN3 went from "Off The Air" to "Digital Service".

I promised people at Tribune I would not give out the contact info I have because they would get "bombed" with e-mails, but if you search, you can find it. I would give it to a mod here in a pm if requested. They could then contact Tribune to invite them to join and monitor this forum. If this hasn't already been done.

Also, to have the guide data for any channel through a Dish receiver, all you need is to have received the station at least once through scanning or adding. (YOU MUST SAVE WHAT YOU JUST FOUND BEFORE CONTINUING!) This time of the year is great for looking for distant stations (Dx'ing) right around sunrise. I have gotten stations close to 500 miles away! (How's WUND Edenton, NC from my location at Liberty, NY?) Now I only received the channel for a few minutes but I keep getting the guide data! I am getting several Philadelphia stations almost every morning lately from around 5 till 7 AM. It's not a big antenna either. This is not easy if you are in or close to a city due to signal over load but if your out in the boonies, have fun! THERE IS NO OTHER RESTRICTION AS TO WHAT YOU CAN GET BECAUSE OF WHERE YOU ARE.)

I have my OTA antenna because Dish will only provide me with my DMA locals. New York City in my case. I have my antenna aimed SW toward the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre, PA area. The best stuff I always have now is PBS-HD, RTV (they really know retro) and lately there has been a problem with WNYW (Fox5) in HD, I simply watch Fox56 (WOLF) from Scranton. BTW.. I was the one who alerted Tribune that WNEP2 started showing RTV last fall. Anyone in the Scranton area remember that it took a couple of weeks for the info to change from rebroadcasts of the news on the main channel to RTV?

#12 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

Thank you for the information, '616.

I did find this: http://www.zap2it.co...59403.htmlstory.

I'll gave it a try:

Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, we may not be able to respond to every e-mail, but we want to assure you that our lineups team is looking into your inquiry and will work to resolve the issue in a timely manner. If additional information is needed to resolve your inquiry, we will contact you at that time.

To get the most out of your Zap2it TV listings experience, we strongly encourage you to review the site features and help tabs above.

Thank you for being a loyal user of Zap2it.com

Edited by bnborg, 13 August 2010 - 05:36 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

I finally got a response from Zap2it:

From TMS-LA Feedback [listings@zap2it.com]
Dear Zap2it user,

Thank you for your email.

We have forwarded your email to our database team who will work to resolve this issue in a timely manner.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for being a Zap2it user.

Regards,

The Zap2it Customer Feedback Team

#14 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

Since I first started investigating this years ago and at one time having direct contact with the entity within DISH that was responsible for this area before it was handed off to a contractor, everyone I have talked to was as dumb as a box of rocks. They all pointed fingers at each other even though there was blatantly obvious evidence that pointed back at them, the best I could get were stall tactics. I hope you (we) get results from your contact. Good Luck.

Since I have been losing, missing, not being told of programming, I have found many other great new avenues to get this programming that in some cases is cheaper and better than DISH. DISH may be making itself obsolete in short order.

#15 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Another problem with the guide data is when the generic or default description runs in 6 hour blocks of time. There is a channel, maybe Arts, that shows in the guide as "classic arts showcase" in something 6 hour blocks. It would be nice if they would break that down to one or two hour blocks, so you can record something without having to setup a manual timer.

Another example, my daughter likes to record the dish earth channel to see the sunrise or when the moon will eclipse, and so forth. We end up with a six hour recording when we only wanted about 2 hours.

Yes, we actually record dish earth...I hope they don't run into trouble with retransmisstion consent, that's our favorite channel. :lol:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...