Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV pixelation video.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

http://www.youtube.c...?v=CfNE4dTyefc]
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

That's some bad stuttering. What's your streaming method, DECA, wired ETHERNET, wireless, or powerline?

#3 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

DECA
HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#4 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

Do you have any ETHERNET cables connected for Internet or are you using something like (see link below) this for INTERNET Connection (see DECA near router).

http://www.dbstalk.c...259#post2466259

#5 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

like the link you gave.
HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#6 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:28 AM

That's interesting. Is the local drive showing any stuttering or pixelating as the video you posted?

If so, you may need to check signal strength in sat setup.

If not, there's a DECA/coax test you can initiate by holding "right arrow" and tapping the guide button on front panel. Select coax test and then Phy rate mesh. Good coax results should be in the 30s for "INFO" and any result LT 215 will fail for the "Phy rate mesh" data, IIRC 250+ is nominal. You'll have to test both HR24s to get feedback for the full coax path. Try it and reply back.

#7 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:48 AM

Was that an OTA broadcast? Was anything being done on the Server while this MRV was stuttering? I've seen similar complaints when the Server was in STANDBY mode. There may still be some more f/w upgrades coming in the near future.

But you can still test your DECA/coax network to get an idea if all is well or not.

I had a Directv tech here Saturday, I ran this test when he finished to check his work. Mine was his last job in a 12 hour day so he only wanted to know what I did to get to the test so he could familiarize himself with it.

#8 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,657 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

That's interesting. Is the local drive showing any stuttering or pixelating as the video you posted?

If so, you may need to check signal strength in sat setup.

If not, there's a DECA/coax test you can initiate by holding "right arrow" and tapping the guide button on front panel. Select coax test and then Phy rate mesh. Good coax results should be in the 30s for "INFO" and any result LT 215 will fail for the "Phy rate mesh" data, IIRC 250+ is nominal. You'll have to test both HR24s to get feedback for the full coax path. Try it and reply back.

Anything below 60 is good. Above 60 is when the Phy rate mesh starts taking a hit due to low power.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

Anything below 60 is good. Above 60 is when the Phy rate mesh starts taking a hit due to low power.

VOS, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking typical value is in the 30s but I think that would depend on length of coax runs or splices for barrels & wall-plates.

I'm not sure if coax surge protectors are to be avoided or not, should they?

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,657 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

VOS, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking typical value is in the 30s but I think that would depend on length of coax runs or splices for barrels & wall-plates.

I'm not sure if coax surge protectors are to be avoided or not, should they?

I would always stay away from those. They make more sense on cable than with a SAT setup.
The values are in dB, so this gives a fairly good idea of the losses through the coax & splitters between the receiver doing the test and the other DECAs [nodes]. I'd have to check my notes, but as I remember "barreling" short coax between my 24 & my DECA bridging to my router showed 10 dB [or so] and I would generally subtract it from the readings to reflect the actual losses between nodes.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by texasmoose, 20 July 2010 - 03:13 PM.

HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#12 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

Was that an OTA broadcast?

NOT an OTA Broadcast, it was from a premium channel.
HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,657 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Your DECA network isn't the problem.
Was this one show [the one in your video] or was this just a sample of an ongoing problem?
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Those test results look OK to me. Does the video reflect your typical MRV quality or was that some random anomaly? Sorry, I may not have any useful suggestions but opinions.

I think it could've been triggered by DVR Client activity while streaming. One thing that seemed to keep coming up with Client DVRs was all the extra activities a DVR does contrary to a short activity list of a HD receiver. Directv has tried many different f/w versions for MRV. DVR to DVR streams were the last to show improvement as the pre-beta & beta f/w's rolled-out.

I've seen stuttering MRV streaming between two DVRs get distorted shortly after a f/w upgrade. If the guide cache' gets dumped with two RBRs or menu restarts within 30 minutes, most DVR functions will slow and the video may distort as well. Things may settle if any of the above applies to recent history of your DVRs. If so, I'd recommend avoiding excessive menu restarts or RBRs; those would only delay the settling down if your guide cache' needs populating. If none of that applies, I'm sure there are more f/w versions to follow that will address the issue. The best thing to do is keep reporting issues as such in the current f/w thread. A video posting as yours may help but you may want to include some background information of what the DVRs were doing ATM and if any recent f/w upgrading or reboots were performed.

spam firewall