Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole-Home DVR-Should I Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sarhaynes

sarhaynes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

I am seriously thinking of upgrading to the new whole-home DVR. However, I am concerned that the upgrade may become expensive and a major hassle. To start let me describe my setup...
I currently live in the 6% of the country of that does not LiL. So this means that I have a D* installed OTA antenna attached to my Slimline-5 dish. This signal is combined into satellite signal at the dish (I don't not have SWM) and decoupled at the receivers (before the BBC). This signal comes down and goes into a 4x6 switch that goes to the HR20-700 in the family room, the H20-100 in my bedroom, the Sat-Go in the Kitchen, the D12 on the Porch and and D12 in the guest bedroom.
The HR20 is connected to our DSL via wireless bridge (802.11G). The HR20-700 is supposed to support Whole-Home DVR, but the H20 will not. At the least I will have to upgrade the H20 to H24, which means I need an AM-21. I've been also told that I need to upgrade to SWM. The last time I had rep @ my house he said that the upgrade would be a pain in the a**. Also, how does the OTA antenna fit into the configuration with SWM?
I do have the Protection Plan, which has saved my bacon a few times on some significant installation costs.
So before I call D* and discuss my options, I would like to know what the technical challenges are to my configuration.
Thanks for in advance for any assistance.
Sean

HR34-700 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR605 to Philips 42" Plasma (1080i)
HR24-500 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Magnavox 32" LCD (1080i)

C31-700 to 32" Samsung Smart TV (1080p)
H21-200 HDMI to Vizio 32" LED LCD (1080p)
H23-600 HDMI to LG 26" LED LCD (1080p)
Whole-Home DVR Enabled (Wireless Networked via Bridge)
D12-300 to Ancient Magnavox CRT
Sat-Go
Charlottesville, VA - Still waiting for Locals via Sat

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

There is a whole forum here for this: http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137

The major thing though is NO DIPLEXING with connected home networking which is how the Whole Home DVR is able to work.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   sarhaynes

sarhaynes

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

There is a whole forum here for this: http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137

The major thing though is NO DIPLEXING with connected home networking which is how the Whole Home DVR is able to work.

Thanks for the reply. Just so I understand then, we are either going to have to repurpose or run new lines for the OTA signal to anyplace we have diplexed the OTA signal. I gues the D* installer was right, this will be a pain in the a**. I may investigate installing junction panel in my attic or our home office closet to eliminate the mirade of wires on the outside of my house. The question that then comes up, is how much will it cost me if I have D* do it or should I do some preliminary work myself...

HR34-700 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR605 to Philips 42" Plasma (1080i)
HR24-500 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Magnavox 32" LCD (1080i)

C31-700 to 32" Samsung Smart TV (1080p)
H21-200 HDMI to Vizio 32" LED LCD (1080p)
H23-600 HDMI to LG 26" LED LCD (1080p)
Whole-Home DVR Enabled (Wireless Networked via Bridge)
D12-300 to Ancient Magnavox CRT
Sat-Go
Charlottesville, VA - Still waiting for Locals via Sat

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. Just so I understand then, we are either going to have to repurpose or run new lines for the OTA signal to anyplace we have diplexed the OTA signal. I gues the D* installer was right, this will be a pain in the a**. I may investigate installing junction panel in my attic or our home office closet to eliminate the mirade of wires on the outside of my house. The question that then comes up, is how much will it cost me if I have D* do it or should I do some preliminary work myself...

This is what the cable will be carrying:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1279031954

As you can see channels 14-40 can't be on the cable with the coax networking.
The connected home upgrade is $150, with any receivers that don't work with SWiM being replaced and the H20 receivers being swapped for receiver that work with MRV.
If you can string any coax runs for OTA before, it can only help you. Any dual coax runs can be used for OTA since the SWiM is a single wire system.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Just remember once you have the Whole Home DVR setup you may not feel the need to have the OTA stations at all locations. You might just record the the programs in one or 2 locations and them stream them to the others.

Also, the Whole Home DVR setup requires SWM. That means that you only need one coax line for each receiver/DVR. So if you currently have 2 lines run to your DVRs the second line will now be free to run your OTA signal without needing to diplex.

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

FWIW, I was in a situation similar to your's - incompatible client boxes, OTA diplexing and no SWM. I replaced my H20 with an H21 and AM21 from ebay for a total of about $100. Then I got a $30 router that I made into a wireless bridge that I connected to my new H21. Then I called and had MRV turned on. Total cost $130 and no commitment. I didn't have to change my coax or diplexing at all. That's the cheapest option without doing a SWM/DECA install and going on the hook for another 2 years. MRV works great, although I do have wireless N instead of G. That may make a difference.

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

If you only have a single coax to certain locations, those will be potentially problematic, yes. If you have multiple coax lines (like to your DVR for instance), then you can repurpose the second line for OTA as you'll only need a single line for the Sat signal with SWiM.

Your Sat-Go will not support SWiM so that will have to either go or a SWiM compatible receiver added (the Monitor from the Sat-Go could be used) ..

The D12s would need a band stop filter.

The H20-100 would need to be replaced with an H24 (or H21/23 + DECA), but I'm guessing you only have one line here. This is your real problem spot if all of the other locations stay the same.

From your list of receivers and what I can assume as correct cabling, you should have this if you go with the upgrade:

location|model|Replace with|Sat Coax|OTA Coax|MRV capable (post swap)
Family Room|HR20-700|-|Yes|Yes|Yes
Bedroom|H20-100|H24|Yes|No|Yes
Kitchen|Sat-Go|D12|Yes|No|No
Porch|D12|-|Yes|No|No
Guest Room|D12|-|Yes|No|No

You might be able to talk them into a second H24 where the Sat-Go is currently located which would give you one additional location for MRV. Each H24 location would be able to watch DIRECTV channels but not your locals (since that's OTA only). You can record OTA in the family room and watch from the H24s after the recording has started.

Hope this helps ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

FWIW, I was in a situation similar to your's - incompatible client boxes, OTA diplexing and no SWM. I replaced my H20 with an H21 and AM21 from ebay for a total of about $100. Then I got a $30 router that I made into a wireless bridge that I connected to my new H21. Then I called and had MRV turned on. Total cost $130 and no commitment. I didn't have to change my coax or diplexing at all. That's the cheapest option without doing a SWM/DECA install and going on the hook for another 2 years. MRV works great, although I do have wireless N instead of G. That may make a difference.

This is certainly an option and some people have success with Wireless (meaning it might work, it might not). For reliability, DECA (or even wired Ethernet) are better solutions than wireless.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall