Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR24-100

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VonDarkmoor

VonDarkmoor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

I received an HR24-100 as a service plan free replacement for my old HR21 and the difference in navigation speed is incredible. The HR21 still powers up and the hard drive is intact. I would like to migrate my recorded programs from the HR21 to the HR24, is there a way to directly transfer content? If not, what are the best options?

Thanks,

Ian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

I received an HR24-100 as a service plan free replacement for my old HR21 and the difference in navigation speed is incredible. The HR21 still powers up and the hard drive is intact. I would like to migrate my recorded programs from the HR21 to the HR24, is there a way to directly transfer content? If not, what are the best options?

Thanks,

Ian

Nope.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,226 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

:welcome_s Ian

Sorry but I think you got unlucky by losing your recordings, but you got really lucky that you got a HR24-100 to replace your HR21. You're gonna love that thing.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   VonDarkmoor

VonDarkmoor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

:welcome_s Ian

Sorry but I think you got unlucky by losing your recordings, but you got really lucky that you got a HR24-100 to replace your HR21. You're gonna love that thing.

Thanks. I was so frustrated by the navigation lag on the HR 21, I kept "overshooting" my selections on the menu and it would turn what should have been a 10 second operation into a 3 minutes worth of operation:aggravation. I know 3 minutes does not sound like much but as my fellow HR21 owners know well, believe me it adds up when you are doing this several times a day. I seriously considered going back to cable because of it. The HR24 has near instant response time and it adds a little sanity back to my life :)

#5 OFFLINE   VonDarkmoor

VonDarkmoor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

Nope.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I thought there were ways to recover programs from the DVR and put em on some other media. There are really no options to recover the programs to get em over to the HR 24?

#6 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I thought there were ways to recover programs from the DVR and put em on some other media. There are really no options to recover the programs to get em over to the HR 24?

Nope... no way to do that.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#7 OFFLINE   Starchy77

Starchy77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

You could transfer them to DVD/Blueray/Computer if you have that capability. There is no way to move them from the HR21 to the HR24 though.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

Thanks. I was so frustrated by the navigation lag on the HR 21, I kept "overshooting" my selections on the menu and it would turn what should have been a 10 second operation into a 3 minutes worth of operation:aggravation. I know 3 minutes does not sound like much but as my fellow HR21 owners know well, believe me it adds up when you are doing this several times a day. I seriously considered going back to cable because of it. The HR24 has near instant response time and it adds a little sanity back to my life :)

Talk like that it is going to cause you trouble around these parts!:D

Keep up this crazy talk and people are going to think you're me!

But seriously - you're in much better shape with the HR24. But... No way to transfer your recordings...:(

#9 OFFLINE   VonDarkmoor

VonDarkmoor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:39 AM

You could transfer them to DVD/Blueray/Computer if you have that capability. There is no way to move them from the HR21 to the HR24 though.

Thanks Starchy, Marty and scotandregan for your input. Now to tell my wife she's SOL on getting her programs migrated :eek2:
Wish me luck!

#10 OFFLINE   VonDarkmoor

VonDarkmoor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

But seriously - you're in much better shape with the HR24. But... No way to transfer your recordings...:(

Kept thinking I had a defective HR21 since it was so incredibly laggy...then I checked the DBS fourms and found that was normal operating performance :eek2:
Lovin the HR24!!

#11 OFFLINE   TITAN_53

TITAN_53

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Na, he was way too sensible about it.

#12 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

I didn't see it posted whether or not you have any other DVR's and, if so, whether you have the DVR's connected to the Whole Home Service (or MRV). If so you could download all new recordings to the DVR that isn't replaced and watch them later, while in the meantime you make popcorn and watch everything on the HR21 and clear the hard drive. Once the HR21 is clear of programming replace it with the HR24 and then watch the stuff that was recently recorded via the Whole Home service.

That is the way we did it when we recently had a hardware swap. The only downside was that there are times that we record more than two programs at the same time and we had to negotiate what didn't get recorded because we were not recording anything new to the DVR that was being replaced.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

Na, he was way too sensible about it.

You're right - he was just laying it out there....

"Kept thinking I had a defective HR21 since it was so incredibly laggy...then I checked the DBS fourms and found that was normal operating performance
Lovin the HR24!! "

You had better get to beating him down before someone reads his posts.:lol:

#14 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

"Kept thinking I had a defective HR21 since it was so incredibly laggy...then I checked the DBS fourms and found that was normal operating performance
Lovin the HR24!! "

Still playing the victim card. Poor Mike. :feelbette
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

Still playing the victim card. Poor Mike. :feelbette

Yep - poor me! I'm just not feelin' the love!

#16 OFFLINE   VonDarkmoor

VonDarkmoor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

I didn't see it posted whether or not you have any other DVR's and, if so, whether you have the DVR's connected to the Whole Home Service (or MRV). If so you could download all new recordings to the DVR that isn't replaced and watch them later, while in the meantime you make popcorn and watch everything on the HR21 and clear the hard drive. Once the HR21 is clear of programming replace it with the HR24 and then watch the stuff that was recently recorded via the Whole Home service.

That is the way we did it when we recently had a hardware swap. The only downside was that there are times that we record more than two programs at the same time and we had to negotiate what didn't get recorded because we were not recording anything new to the DVR that was being replaced.

I havent implemented MRV yet, since I dont have any easy way to run an Eithernet cable to the DVR. I'm currently deciding between powerline or a wireless/eithernet bridge...

#17 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

I havent implemented MRV yet, since I dont have any easy way to run an Eithernet cable to the DVR. I'm currently deciding between powerline or a wireless/eithernet bridge...

The current supported method for MRV, or as DirecTV now calls it "Whole Home DVR", is with the DECA/SWM installation. This will get you MRV without having to run ethernet to the receivers.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#18 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

How about considering the Whole Home solution via DECA. If you order the Internet Connection Kit you usually can get the price down to about $75-80 and they will connect everything, including any other D* boxes. Also, they will replace any equipment that isn't compatible with compatible equipment, including an antenna, SWiM connector, etc. You end up with a fully compatible system that is covered by D* in case of failure or performance issues. They don't cover ethernet connection solutions so if you were to do what I believe you are suggesting the network connections would not be covered by D*.

Either way it will cost you the same $3.00 per month and if you don't already have the Powerline or ethernet bridge the installation fee would be around or less than buying the adapter or a minimum of two Powerline units.

#19 OFFLINE   TITAN_53

TITAN_53

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Lovin the HR24!! "

Keep clippin those quotes to fit your response Mike. Seems to me like he knows what he finds unacceptable may not be as big of a deal to someonone else, which is the point. Not everyone has the same experience.

I know 3 minutes does not sound like much but as my fellow HR21 owners know well, believe me it adds up when you are doing this several times a day.

Believe it or not I had an HR24 not respond for several minutes after changing from "hide sd duplicates" to "show all." I better start telling everyone that the 24's aren't as fast as what everyone says and nobody should order Directv until they come out with an HR25!

#20 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

If you order the Internet Connection Kit you usually can get the price down to about $75-80 and they will connect everything, including any other D* boxes.

$75-80 just for the Internet Connection Kit or for the whole installation?

The price I was initially quoted for the Whole Home DVR install was $150 + tax. I didn't ask about the connection kit at that point since I wasn't yet ready to place the order.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...