Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR24-100

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Sometimes you can negotiate but I believe the rack price is $149 including a truck roll and that should include everything you need including upgrade to SWM technology, as many DECAs as you need, re-cabling as necessary, and hookup. The Internet Connection Kit should be included in that price if you ask, but if you get it later they charge you more, I think $29.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

If you call and ask for the Internet Connection kit they will likely quote you the $75-80 price and will then cover everything else as part of that price.

I had previously been using a Powerline adapter solution, which I had used during the MRV testing procedure. However, with the help of forum members, I decided three weeks later to do the DECA upgrade. The key, as a few members pointed out, was to specifically ask for the Internet Connection Kit. When I did that I was quoted $76.33 (including local taxes) and was told that everything else was included. In my case the "everything else" included a new antenna, SWiM, and three DECA modules, one of which was used to connect to my router so that I could download on demand, etc. They reverted to using the household wiring in my house, which I had custom installed as the house was being built so all outlets were in a good spot, and did not need to add additional cabling so the Standard Installation provisions worked fine for me.

You might want to consider this and perhaps call D*, ask about the Internet Connection Kit upgrade, and see what you are quoted. As I said, it worked for me.

Edited by john18, 21 July 2010 - 01:57 PM.
Added the word "cover" in the first paragraph.

#23 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for all the info.

I'll be adding receivers to two rooms that don't currently have them. The rooms do have coax runs from the attic that are not currently connected to the DTV multiswitch which is located under the house.

To connect the receivers in those rooms, new coax will have to either be run from the multiswitch under the house either to the individual rooms or to the attic where it could be tied in.

Should I expect to pay DTV and/or the installation company for the new runs? Would I be hugely better off putting in the coax myself?

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

You can ask, but I would think the extra cable runs might cost you a little. Still, you're better off having them do them.

#25 OFFLINE   VonDarkmoor

VonDarkmoor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

Keep clippin those quotes to fit your response Mike. Seems to me like he knows what he finds unacceptable may not be as big of a deal to someonone else, which is the point. Not everyone has the same experience.

Believe it or not I had an HR24 not respond for several minutes after changing from "hide sd duplicates" to "show all." I better start telling everyone that the 24's aren't as fast as what everyone says and nobody should order Directv until they come out with an HR25!

My overall feeling is that the HR21 I had was maddeningly slow, and the performance of my unit was not unusual based on what I learned on these fourms. While I don't feel that I am an excessive "GUI explorer" or channel surfer I understand that not everyone uses their DVRs the same way and that the HR21 performance lag does not bother everyone. I am greatful that it did bother enough people that D* decided to spend the money necessary to get the issue addressed in the HR24. I think this is proof enough that it was a very significant issue to a lot of D* customers.

#26 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

I love my HR 24, it is very fast and nice looking. I think D* got it right this time.
Marquitos

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

My overall feeling is that the HR21 I had was maddeningly slow, and the performance of my unit was not unusual based on what I learned on these fourms. While I don't feel that I am an excessive "GUI explorer" or channel surfer I understand that not everyone uses their DVRs the same way and that the HR21 performance lag does not bother everyone. I am greatful that it did bother enough people that D* decided to spend the money necessary to get the issue addressed in the HR24. I think this is proof enough that it was a very significant issue to a lot of D* customers.

Well said.

#28 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

Come on, do we need to go there?

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

Come on, do we need to go there?

There you go.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   VonDarkmoor

VonDarkmoor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

I didn't see it posted whether or not you have any other DVR's and, if so, whether you have the DVR's connected to the Whole Home Service (or MRV). If so you could download all new recordings to the DVR that isn't replaced and watch them later, while in the meantime you make popcorn and watch everything on the HR21 and clear the hard drive. Once the HR21 is clear of programming replace it with the HR24 and then watch the stuff that was recently recorded via the Whole Home service.

That is the way we did it when we recently had a hardware swap. The only downside was that there are times that we record more than two programs at the same time and we had to negotiate what didn't get recorded because we were not recording anything new to the DVR that was being replaced.

A very reasonable suggestion, and much appreciated. I don't have MRV unfortunately, I just recently hooked up a wireless eithernet ridge but I did not think I would use MRV so I didn't order it.

#31 OFFLINE   VonDarkmoor

VonDarkmoor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

How about considering the Whole Home solution via DECA. If you order the Internet Connection Kit you usually can get the price down to about $75-80 and they will connect everything, including any other D* boxes. Also, they will replace any equipment that isn't compatible with compatible equipment, including an antenna, SWiM connector, etc. You end up with a fully compatible system that is covered by D* in case of failure or performance issues. They don't cover ethernet connection solutions so if you were to do what I believe you are suggesting the network connections would not be covered by D*.

Either way it will cost you the same $3.00 per month and if you don't already have the Powerline or ethernet bridge the installation fee would be around or less than buying the adapter or a minimum of two Powerline units.

That is a tempting offer, and I appreciate you give me such a nice detailed suggestion. I ended up buying my own Linksys wireless N bridge yesterday. I just didn't think I would use MRV much since I watch 95% of my programming on our living room TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...