Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

schedule recordings by sports team?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ironduke2010

ironduke2010

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

i'm new to directv having been a tivo customer for years. one of the things i'd like to do with directv is to, in tivo parlance, create a season pass for some of the soccer teams i'd like to follow. as some of you soccer fans may know, these euro teams play not only in their league, but also in various tournaments. directv carries various league and tournament games on many different channels, including those uefa and la liga channels that only broadcast when there is a game.

on tivo, i could just create a keyword season pass recording that would basically say "record everything that says 'real madrid'" and, no matter what competition (la liga, champions league, copa del rey, etc.), and no matter what channel (goltv, fsc, fsn etc.) tivo would just find it and record it.

is this something i can do with directv, or at least come close?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

Sorry, you can't do this (at least not that I've ever seen). DirecTV's DVR software needs a series title in order to record all instances of a specific show. Unfortunately, this means you'll have to do a search periodically for the team you want and manually set those to record.

#3 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

Besides, how do you deal with recording conflicts?

With Center Ice I record every Sabres game and watch them after everyone goes to bed (in peace and quiet). Sometimes I find that the recording will conflict with two things already scheduled. Thankfully most of the conflicts are Discovery/TLC/Food Network etc in which at least one of the conflicts can be moved to later in the night.

Not sure how that would work if you set it up to record automatically.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Sorry, you can't do this (at least not that I've ever seen). DirecTV's DVR software needs a series title in order to record all instances of a specific show. Unfortunately, this means you'll have to do a search periodically for the team you want and manually set those to record.

Incorrect, you can easily do a keyword search for a sports team. You can make it better using the boolean operators.

Example: AALL Red Wings Live NNOT Post CCHAN 663 664

Will pick up all live Red Wing games but not the Post game show (which is called Red Wings Live) on channels 663 and 664. Set it to autorecord and you're done. Or leave it as a saved search that you check every couple weeks and one touch record whichever games you want.

Piece of cake. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

Incorrect, you can easily do a keyword search for a sports team. You can make it better using the boolean operators.

Example: AALL Red Wings Live NNOT Post CCHAN 663 664

Will pick up all live Red Wing games but not the Post game show (which is called Red Wings Live) on channels 663 and 664. Set it to autorecord and you're done. Or leave it as a saved search that you check every couple weeks and one touch record whichever games you want.

Piece of cake. ;)

That's not what the OP is asking. He is asking if he can record all instances of a specific keyword. You can't do that with DirecTV's DVR software.

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

That's not what the OP is asking. He is asking if he can record all instances of a specific keyword. You can't do that with DirecTV's DVR software.

Sure you can, do a Keyword search and set the search to autorecord. Unless I'm missing something. :confused:

#7 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Yes you can, with boolean searches like this:

AALL Real Madrid Live NNOT Post CCHAN 400 700
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   j2fast

j2fast

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Sure you can, do a Keyword search and set the search to autorecord. Unless I'm missing something. :confused:

I have at least a few set up and working right now. As Bonscott said, unless I/we are missing something you can set up autorecords like the OP wants to do. You can do keyword searches or use the boolean operators as described.

The thread below has more info on using boolean operators:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=132971
ID10T or PEBCAK, there can be more than one...

My Current Setup

#9 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Yes you can, with boolean searches like this:

AALL Real Madrid Live NNOT Post CCHAN 400 700

I stand corrected. I just tried this and did not know you could record a keyword search.

#10 OFFLINE   ironduke2010

ironduke2010

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

I have at least a few set up and working right now. As Bonscott said, unless I/we are missing something you can set up autorecords like the OP wants to do. You can do keyword searches or use the boolean operators as described.

The thread below has more info on using boolean operators:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=132971

awesome! i believe this is just what i was looking for. as for conflicts, i assume that's where the priorities come in.

a big thanks to everyone on this thread!

spam firewall