Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

That's a pretty messed up thing to do, D* referall program. >:(

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

As some may have seen, my parents are getting D*. We called the referal number tonight and were on hold for quite some time. During that hold time, a recording comes on:

(summarized)
"Whew! We are working very hard to ensure you have the best possible service! We know your time is very valuable, that is why we have directv.com. If you don't want to wait on hold, hang up and visit us at directv.com where you can sign up and receive special offers, such as 2 free receiver upgrades."

That's just wrong. You know exactly what is going on here, this is what it should say:

"Whoa! If you continue to stay on hold and actually talk to someone, we are going to have to pay out 10 $10 bill credits to two people. We can't have that! Please, go to the website where you will be able to order without any way to use the referral system and we won't have to pay out."

That's deceptive and wrong. It came on twice, and here is the funny part, the guy I finally talked to told me it was a slow night and some people there were just standing around there chatting when I mentioned the interesting conversations I could hear in the background. I would be willing to bet, based on tonight's experience, that the long hold time was intentional to get me frustrated enough to actually listen to the recording and hang up and go online.

Now to see if the credits actually show up.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   trackmannn

trackmannn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

Interesting. I've never heard of this "referall" program. I'M SO PISSED!

#3 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,432 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:33 AM

I still waiting for my money it has been 2 months. If I dont get it by the end of this month I will give them a call

JACK,

#4 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:10 AM

I just received an email from D* that my credits for the referrall I gave 2 months ago are starting. I have yet to see it on my statement. I had a hell of a time the first time I referred someone. It took almost a year before I started getting what i was supposed to get. After many calls and so much BS, they finally got it straight. Hope this time is better!

#5 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

I feel like I am getting screwed. I don't know why, but I feel like it. :grin:

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:41 AM

It's a standard on hold message that they probably use on all their lines, not just the line for people calling in for the referral program.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

When I referred a friend, the credits started showing up on my second bill. He called the referral and got through right away and had no issues at all. Before his call I helped him decide on what recievers and which package. He was installed 6 days later. He's very happy with everything.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#8 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

Interesting. I've never heard of this "referall" program. I'M SO PISSED!

The referal program has been in place for years now. Sorry you missed and couldn't take advantage of it.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#9 OFFLINE   joshferg

joshferg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

To use the referal online go to the following link: directv.com/refer

There is a box to the right where you can enter your Acc. No.

Note: Make sure you are not logged in because the box will not show up.

#10 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

If you don't want DTVs credit you can always refer through a retailer. Mastec partners with DirectStar

They offer the same deal 100$ but they mail you a Visa debit card with 100$ on it.

Google directstar and see what you get. I'd give you a # but our referalls are paper based. You mail the referral coupon in with the 1st bill and both you and the person you refer get the 100$ visa

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#11 OFFLINE   hatchet

hatchet

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

I would be willing to bet, based on tonight's experience, that the long hold time was intentional to get me frustrated enough to actually listen to the recording and hang up and go online.

Sometimes I envision the CSR (not just with D* but any company when I'm on hold) holding a stopwatch that starts a countdown when my call clicks in. The timer starts to tick down and goes to red in those last few seconds. And yet, to the CSR's dismay, there I am, still on hold :eek2:!
HR24 - HDMI - Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080HD
H24 - HDMI - Sony KDL-46NX700
H24 - HDMI - Sharp LC32D47U

#12 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

Sometimes I envision the CSR (not just with D* but any company when I'm on hold) holding a stopwatch that starts a countdown when my call clicks in. The timer starts to tick down and goes to red in those last few seconds. And yet, to the CSR's dismay, there I am, still on hold :eek2:!

Having worked in call centers in the past, I can say you are not far off. Add to that when you call after usual business hours (after say 5pm) centers are down to skeleton crews and they get next to no calls. The CSRs start to shoot the bull amongst themselves and will see a call on hold and immediately think someone else will get it.

In most cases, as long as they meet their ASA (average speed of answer) for the call center, everyone's happy. Individual CSRs will have goals to meet but there is usually some cushion where they can still screw off and meet their numbers.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#13 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

To use the referal online go to the following link:

www.directv.com/refer

Yes, this is what I would point people to. You actually receive an email from Direct TV letting you know that someone has signed up using your account number and you will receive credits when that person activates their service. There is also a specific number listed to call, 1-800-507-4045.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#14 OFFLINE   hatchet

hatchet

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

Having worked in call centers in the past, I can say you are not far off. Add to that when you call after usual business hours (after say 5pm) centers are down to skeleton crews and they get next to no calls. The CSRs start to shoot the bull amongst themselves and will see a call on hold and immediately think someone else will get it.

In most cases, as long as they meet their ASA (average speed of answer) for the call center, everyone's happy. Individual CSRs will have goals to meet but there is usually some cushion where they can still screw off and meet their numbers.

HaHa...yeah its pretty obvious when you start to think about it. Let me just say in my line of work, I've had more than my share of opportunity to "watch" a boiler room in operation. Although not exactly what we are talking about here, the premise is the same. Having said that, there were more than enough marathon smoke breaks going on for me to surmise that there were a lot of calls going unanswered (on hold :lol:).
HR24 - HDMI - Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080HD
H24 - HDMI - Sony KDL-46NX700
H24 - HDMI - Sharp LC32D47U

#15 OFFLINE   scrybigtv

scrybigtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

If anyone out there has another creative way to spell "referral," I'd sure like to see it. :)

#16 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

It's a standard on hold message that they probably use on all their lines, not just the line for people calling in for the referral program.

I have never heard it on any other things I have been on hold for.

To use the referal online go to the following link: directv.com/refer

It should say that on the recording and it would have been all cool with me.

It is generous of them to give out free money basically but it still seems deceptive that they were not busy and I was on hold for 10 minutes and that the recording doesn't play when I am waiting for a regular CSR.

I will use the online method next time.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

If anyone out there has another creative way to spell "referral," I'd sure like to see it. :)

How about "refural"?

#18 OFFLINE   scrybigtv

scrybigtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

How about "refural"?

Ding, Ding. We have a winner. :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

I dunno what centers you've worked in, but the ones I have worked in FORCE the call to an available agent, there's no option to grab a call from being on hold.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#20 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

I dunno what centers you've worked in, but the ones I have worked in FORCE the call to an available agent, there's no option to grab a call from being on hold.

The calls go into a queue and force to the next AVAILABLE rep. If the rep is sitting in one of many unavailable statuses they wont get a call. Rep sees calls starting to queue they have the choice to go available or not. That is what I was referring to.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

Protected By... spam firewall...And...