Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will this work to move external disk to HR24?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   awalt

awalt

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

Hi,
I am thinking about getting an HR24 receiver at some point, because my receivers are old (HR20). I Have used the process documented on this forum to move recordings to a new disk drive on the same receiver, will this same procedure work with the new HR24? For example:

1. Take a blank (smaller) external hard disk, let it get reformatted and put it on HR24's external eSata port. Shut down gracefully
2. Take existing 2TB EHD on my HR20, shut down gracefully.
3. Use Linux commands to move/copy data from 2TB disk to new disk initialized on HR24. Verify it works on HR24, then shut it down gracefully.
4. Wipe out/reformat my 2TB, initialize on HR24, shut down gracefully, then move/copy data to this disk.

I would use the temporary disk as it's smaller than the 2TB disk I am using now, but it's large enough to hold all my programming.

In other words, all moving/copying data on external hard disks with HR24 is the same Linux-wise as using an HR20?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

You could do all that but -
There is a "card/receiver" code on each recording and for the recording to play, the code on the recording must match the "card/receiver" code of the HD-DVR.

This means you could just plug the old eSATA into the new HR24 directly.
No copying at all.
If no errors are detected, you will still have your favorites, your to do and the playlist will show the recordings, BUT THEY WON'T PLAY.
I tried this as an experiment, though I didn't have a HR24.
I don't think the model numbers enter into this "exercise".
Sorry!! I stand ready to be corrected! :) :) :)
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,306 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

"will this same procedure work with the new HR24?" - The procedure works for SAME DVR, not for move BETWEEN DVRs.

#4 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

Recordings made from sat channels are tied to the receiver they were recorded on. No way is known to bypass this. OTA channels apparently aren't tied to a particular receiver but doesn't matter for most people.

As has been mentioned, you should be able to hook up the esata drive to your new receiver and everything will still be there but the recordings won't play so will have to be deleted. If you are upgrading to a new box but don't want to loose your recordings, the best option is to run both the new box and the old box for a while until you can watch and delete everything off the old box and then return it. You can setup MRV to allow streaming to the new receiver to make it easier.

#5 OFFLINE   awalt

awalt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

Great, thanks for the help and advice!

spam firewall