Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Whole Home DVR Install - Now Router Dropping Internet

dvr list sort

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

My parents just subscribed to D* and also signed up for the whole home DVR (with DECA). Ever since the install their desktop computer regularly loses it's internet connection and they have to reboot the router to get it back. D* has already been back once and the guy said everything appears to be hooked up correctly.

I searched but didn't really find any threads with similar issues. I don't have DECA myself, so it's new to me. I haven't been to their house to check it out yet, but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for troubleshooting. I'm thinking I should try swapping some DECA components and also try a different router. Any other tips? Thanks.

Matt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

Look at the way the DECAs are installed. Make sure that there is only one ethernet cable from the DECA to the router. Some installers mistakenly hook the ethernet cable to the router instead of to the receiver.

As a basic test, just unhook the DECA from the router and see if the problem persists.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,771 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

"I have a feeling" that the router connection is from the second ethernet port off the DVR. Make sure this isn't how it was connected. DECA should have one of these to connect to the router
http://www.dbstalk.c...40&d=1279075740

If this is being used, then a test to try would be to remove the ethernet cable from this and reboot the receivers. This will remove the internet access from the DECA network and let the home network go back to the way it was before. Does the PC still lose internet?
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   putty469

putty469

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

VOS is indeed the best at MRV, but my thought before his post was it might be one of those DSL routers that only has room for a couple of devices. The receivers might be taking all of the available IP addresses, knocking the desktop offline. Again, just a thought but maybe confirm what brand and model of router they are using.
My Setup:
HR20-100 - Vizio XVT553SV 1080p - HDMI
H21-200 - Vizio VX42L 720p - HDMI
HR23-700 - Emerson 32" 720p - HDMI
DirecTV Whole Home DVR

Computer - Windows 7, DirecTV2PC
(2GB RAM, AMD X2 4200+, ATI HD3450 512MB)
Network - Linksys WRT54G and Charter 20/2 HSI

Protected By... spam firewall...And...