Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

starz on demand problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

today Thursday 7/21/10 i checked starz on demand channel 1527 and received a message;"this channel is currently not available". though the regular channel 527 is. i received a email telling me that "pillars of the earth was premiering friday so i went to the quide channel 527 for friday at 10pm and it was not listed. i then did a smart search and found that it comes on starz on demand channel 1527 so i added it to the queue. out of curiosity i checked to see what was available today and that was when i got the message "this channel(1527) is not currently available". called directv and the tech had no notes about this problem. they were a third party call center and did not have a hd receiver so they could check out the problem themselves. i wonder if i had gotten a call center staffed with directv personnel if the situation would have been different. anyone else receive this message. thanks, larry

#2 OFFLINE   hdAddict

hdAddict

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

I just checked and it is up in Houston. I'm downloading "pillars of the earth" as it appeared to be an interesting program. Thanks for the heads up.

#3 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

Still cant believe we dont get it in HD.

#4 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

I,don,t know why anybody with HD would want to record from any on demand that isn,t in HD.First I, am also waiting for this new series too,but will watch live in HD or DVR it which will be shown many times on the HD Starz channels.It,s understandable to possibly want to record something that is only available in SD which I, only do with my sets set up to view in OAR with side bars no stretching the pic.I, do agree that it seems that Starz on demand should be in HD like Showtime & TMC but, at least we have multiple feed of Starz channels in HD to search for things to DVR.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

today Thursday 7/21/10 i checked starz on demand channel 1527 and received a message;"this channel is currently not available". though the regular channel 527 is. i received a email telling me that "pillars of the earth was premiering friday so i went to the quide channel 527 for friday at 10pm and it was not listed. i then did a smart search and found that it comes on starz on demand channel 1527 so i added it to the queue. out of curiosity i checked to see what was available today and that was when i got the message "this channel(1527) is not currently available". called directv and the tech had no notes about this problem. they were a third party call center and did not have a hd receiver so they could check out the problem themselves. i wonder if i had gotten a call center staffed with directv personnel if the situation would have been different. anyone else receive this message. thanks, larry

Sometimes resetting your receiver does the trick. If the problem isn't fixed within a day or two I have gone to the on demand menu and deleted my on demand settings and redone the settings. It fixes the problem but takes up to 24 hours to rebuild the on demand library.

I,don,t know why anybody with HD would want to record from any on demand that isn,t in HD.First I, am also waiting for this new series too,but will watch live in HD or DVR it which will be shown many times on the HD Starz channels.It,s understandable to possibly want to record something that is only available in SD which I, only do with my sets set up to view in OAR with side bars no stretching the pic.I, do agree that it seems that Starz on demand should be in HD like Showtime & TMC but, at least we have multiple feed of Starz channels in HD to search for things to DVR.

The funny thing is Starz has an on demand catalog in HD. The same goes for Encore HD on demand. As shown in the two links below.

http://www.starz.com...ndlistings/sodh

http://www.starz.com...ndlistings/eodh

#6 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

i did not know that starz vod was only sd. where did you get this info? not that i do not believe you i would just like to read the article mysely. thanks

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

i did not know that starz vod was only sd. where did you get this info? not that i do not believe you i would just like to read the article mysely. thanks

Who said Starz on demand was only standard def? In post 5, I posted two links to Starz's website with their HD on demand lineup. The issue somebody brought up was that D* only has Starz on demand in standard def. That's a totally different issue and on D*'s end as to why. TMC on demand has HD content even before TMCxtra started last month. So go figure.

#8 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

sorry mark i meant to reply to post #4. thanks

#9 OFFLINE   greyghost32

greyghost32

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

[quote name='lartomar2002']today Thursday 7/21/10 i checked starz on demand channel 1527 and received a message;"this channel is currently not available".

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I encountered this same issue on Friday 7/23. When trying to access the on demand menu by pressing menu on my remote and selecting ondemand I encountered "this channel(1000) is not currently available". I figured it was DTVs problem and not mine and it would go away on it's own. Saturday 7/24 I realized I could manual tune into the channels ondemand above 1000 and bypass the problem but on Sunday 7/25 the problem spread and I started getting the same message for showtime on demand. After spending frustrating hour on the phone with DTV customer support repeating equipment tests and resets that I'd already done on my own I was told that they couldn't help me and would have to send my problem on to the guys in the "back office". Since I'm not the only one my guess is this is a DTV issue and not an individual equipment problem. I'm supposed to sit tight and wait 72 hours for the guys in their "back office" to work their magic before I call back.

#10 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

i have been a dtv customer for seven years and dtv use to be more response to their customers. i quess this is what happens after a company gets so big. the cust. ser. center were better trained early on now they have several 3rd party call centers that are below par when compared to the company owned call centers.

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

[quote name='greyghost32'][quote name='lartomar2002']today Thursday 7/21/10 i checked starz on demand channel 1527 and received a message;"this channel is currently not available".

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I encountered this same issue on Friday 7/23. When trying to access the on demand menu by pressing menu on my remote and selecting ondemand I encountered "this channel(1000) is not currently available". I figured it was DTVs problem and not mine and it would go away on it's own. Saturday 7/24 I realized I could manual tune into the channels ondemand above 1000 and bypass the problem but on Sunday 7/25 the problem spread and I started getting the same message for showtime on demand. After spending frustrating hour on the phone with DTV customer support repeating equipment tests and resets that I'd already done on my own I was told that they couldn't help me and would have to send my problem on to the guys in the "back office". Since I'm not the only one my guess is this is a DTV issue and not an individual equipment problem. I'm supposed to sit tight and wait 72 hours for the guys in their "back office" to work their magic before I call back.[/QUOTE]

Did you read post 5 and try to restore your defaults in the network setup followed by repeating the network setup and allowing 24 hours for your library to rebuild?

#12 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

no, everything came back up later that day. it seems that starz was doing some type of maintance to their site. this happens occasionally.

#13 OFFLINE   greyghost32

greyghost32

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

[quote name='Mark Walters'][quote name='greyghost32']

Did you read post 5 and try to restore your defaults in the network setup followed by repeating the network setup and allowing 24 hours for your library to rebuild?[/QUOTE]

I didn't go into the ondemand menu and reset my ondemand settings but I did go into the system settings/advanced setup menus and reset the default values for my network setup both on Saturday on my own and once again on Sunday with the customer service rep. I'm not sure if it did the same as the suggestion in post #5 since it didn't give me the system message that I needed 24hrs to build up the library like it did the first time I set up my ondemand service. That being said the guys in the "back office" may have been hard at work yesterday because by the time I got home from work everything was back up an running. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

spam firewall