Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

eSATA on New HR24 Transferred From HR23

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rlrimotep

rlrimotep

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

I had an HR23 with an attached external HD, then the HR23 developed a 771 system error. The DirecTV service tech said the 771 was caused by a faulty DVR and he replaced the HR23 with a new HR24. The original external HD was attached to the new HR24 and the playlist displayed the names of recordings made previously on the HR23. But now, as time goes on, the HR24 increasingly hiccups whenever it attempts to play one of the older recordings (a show that was recorded on the HR23) . The HR24 might even hang when attempting to play an older recording to the point where the dvr must be reset in order to recover .

What can be done to help this situation?

Could I use Linux to dump the eSATA contents to a different external media, delete everything from the eSATA, re-attach the eSATA to the HR24 and let the HR24 format the drive, then copy back the old contents ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

The new receiver shouldn't even be able to play those recordings. When you get a new receiver, your old recordings are useless, internal or external hard drive.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

He's right. It's pretty rare that transferring an eSATA even works.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

I noticed that when I transferred an eSATA from an HR20 to an HR24 recently, the recordings were not erased as I expected. But, the ones that I tried weren't playable at all. It put up a blank/black screen and said "searching for authorized contect" IIRC.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...