Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Sharing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sheureka

sheureka

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

I live in a triplex, and share a dish with my neighbor. We live down in a canyon and the dish is mounted high up on a retaining wall. We're having a big thunderstorm right now, which made me start thinking about the shared dish.

1. What happens if we need to call for a realignment and/or some other problem? How does a service call get billed (neither of us has the protection plan).
2. What happens if one of us moves out? The SWM is currently in my neighbor's apartment (though it was originally in mine).

Any other potential problems? Is anyone else sharing a dish? TIA - sheureka

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

No problem With Sharing the dish-It's done all the time, Each person has there own account-so whom ever calls for service may or may not be billed,depending on the mood that D* is in when the service call is made.

The apartment buildings in my area ,mainly use Triple LNB has four out puts , they run to four different appartments or rooms in a single home-each with there own account.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

I'm assuming that you both have seperate accounts and you're not doing something that's a no-no.

I own a 2-family house and both our tenant and I have DirecTV accounts and there is only one dish on the roof. I think that whoever calls for service will get billed for the service call. If the tenant called and it was a problem that was also affecting me, then I'd certainly split the cost with him.

As for one party moving, the dish would stay. DirecTV would provide another at the new location.

Edited by markfp, 21 July 2010 - 05:43 PM.
typo

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

That is why it is a bad idea to share a dish in most cases. Like this for example:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=181329

Whoever calls for the alignment will probably be the one that gets billed.

If the person with the SWM power inserter moves out, the PI can be moved, but connections will need to be moved as well at any point there is a splitter, because the PI has to be on the "red colored" power passing connections.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

It is against DirecTV installer policy to share dishes between accounts for this reason (though it does happen from time to time, under difficult circumstances). The others are right in that the person who calls will be the one billed, and that one tenant moving out can screw up the other(s) using the dish (removing the power inserter, disconnecting needed cables, etc.), which are the reasons dish sharing isn't commonly done.

#6 OFFLINE   sheureka

sheureka

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

The installer didn't say it was a problem - and we were very specific when she signed up that it would have to be a shared dish. I'm not going to worry about it until/unless she moves out. - sheureka

Protected By... spam firewall...And...