Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Very low signals on 103 & 99

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

I just replaced a dead HR-20 through the protection plan and hooked up the refurb HR-22 yesterday. Everything is working but I got an error when it was setting up saying the sat signal was low and dish needs realignment. I have not really had any trouble with the picture or sound that I have noticed. Ballpark numbers for each sat are:

101 - 90s
119 - 90s
99 - 60s
103 (ca) 40, 50s and a few 60s.
103 (cb) 60s and a few low 70s.

I think I am going to call and have someone come out to peak the dish (especially since I am paying for the protection plan). I am worried that problems will start to pop up after summer when the weather gets bad again.

Also, what channels are on 103 and 99? Basically which channels should I be looking for signs of trouble? Certain HD channels only? Also, I am located in the Bay Area, CA (not sure if that makes a difference).

Edited by BK89, 21 July 2010 - 03:04 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

I just replaced a dead HR-20 through the protection plan and hooked up the refurb HR-22 yesterday. Everything is working but I got an error when it was setting up saying the sat signal was low and dish needs realignment. I have not really had any trouble with the picture or sound that I have noticed. Ballpark numbers for each sat are:

101 - 90s
119 - 90s
99 - 60s
103 (ca) 40, 50s and a few 60s.
103 (cb) 60s and a few low 70s.

I think I am going to call and have someone come out to peak the dish (especially since I am paying for the protection plan). I am worried that problems will start to pop up after summer when the weather gets bad again.

Also, what channels are on 103 and 99? Basically which channels should I be looking for signs of trouble? Certain HD channels only? Also, I am located in the Bay Area, CA (not sure if that makes a difference).

Definitely time for a dish alignment. All of the MPEG4 HD channels are on 99 and 103. Tell them you are getting LOS (771 errors), otherwise they may not come out until you actually have problems.

#3 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

Definitely time for a dish alignment. All of the MPEG4 HD channels are on 99 and 103. Tell them you are getting LOS (771 errors), otherwise they may not come out until you actually have problems.

Thanks, I think i will be calling to schedule an appt tonight. I was a bit suprised to see them so low (especially since I have not been having much trouble with the picture or sound on HD channels dropping out).

#4 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Thanks, I think i will be calling to schedule an appt tonight. I was a bit suprised to see them so low (especially since I have not been having much trouble with the picture or sound on HD channels dropping out).

Just for the heck of it, I did a signal test on my system and found that 103 (ca) was in the 50s and low 60s. I did the alignment myself and got it to the high 70s, low 80s. My biggest problem was azmith and some adjustmet on tilt. Elevation was fine. I don't think the installer did a signal check when he swapped the 5 LB for the 3 LNB.

#5 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

Nice job! I wish I could just do it myself but I live in an apartment. I dont think management would be happy if they saw me up on the roof!

#6 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

Nice job! I wish I could just do it myself but I live in an apartment. I dont think management would be happy if they saw me up on the roof!

In the morning, when it cools off (104 right now) I plan to go back up there and fine tune it some more. This was just a quick and dirty to minimize rain fade in case we get a storm this evening. I'm lucky because I can reach mine with a 8-10 ft step ladder.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...