Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help with local Comcast

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Anyone at the central Jersey shore that can help with Comcast?
I have been a loyal D* customer for many years. I pay Comcast $60. per month for internet as I have no other service of theirs. Right now, money is so tight I squeak. A Comcast rep showed up at the door late this afternoon with an offer hard to pass up. I did, but they will call tomorrow and come by if I agree. They do not offer MRV but do have a much better On Demand offering which as we all know includes HBO. With D* right now I pay +- $98. per month for HD/DVR, HBO, MRV and a total of 3 receivers. 1 DVR and 2 std. HD boxes. Got the $10.00 discount for agreeing to auto bill pay. The Comcast offer, in writing, is 3 HD/DVR receivers, with all the channels I get now including HBO and HBO On Demand, plus my internet , for $117.00. That's $40.00 less per month.(For both tv and internet) After 1 year the promo ends and I get boosted $20.00 monthly. Still saves me a lot. And although I will get the 3 HD/DVR boxes regardless, they say with their On Demand availability, it does not make too much sense. Is their service so bad? Am I missing something? Also, free install and activation of course. Help if you can!

Edited by iamqnow, 21 July 2010 - 05:48 PM.
omission

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Do what is best for your families financials! In the end, thats what matters. You could call D* and tell them what comcast offered and see of they can match it.

#3 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

Do what is best for your families financials! In the end, thats what matters. You could call D* and tell them what comcast offered and see of they can match it.

I will and have not been unhappy with D*. They can't offer internet so that's their main disadvantage. Really reluctant to switch but the $ issue is very important. Seriously looking for someone with knowledge of picture quality in this area and how they compare. My main tv is a 55" LED/LCD and the other 2 are 1080p 37" sets, so p/q is of the upmost importance. Thanks for your comments.

#4 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

I would double check on the price after the promotion is over,Get someone else to quote the $20 increase in price,One lady I installed DirecTV for last year said after her 24 month $99 bundle deal was over the the price jumped to $234 a month.

#5 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 497 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

In my area if you don't get phone service with Comcast, that's an extra $10 for internet.

#6 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

Anyone at the central Jersey shore that can help with Comcast?
I have been a loyal D* customer for many years. I pay Comcast $60. per month for internet as I have no other service of theirs. Right now, money is so tight I squeak. A Comcast rep showed up at the door late this afternoon with an offer hard to pass up. I did, but they will call tomorrow and come by if I agree. They do not offer MRV but do have a much better On Demand offering which as we all know includes HBO. With D* right now I pay +- $98. per month for HD/DVR, HBO, MRV and a total of 3 receivers. 1 DVR and 2 std. HD boxes. Got the $10.00 discount for agreeing to auto bill pay. The Comcast offer, in writing, is 3 HD/DVR receivers, with all the channels I get now including HBO and HBO On Demand, plus my internet , for $117.00. That's $40.00 less per month.(For both tv and internet) After 1 year the promo ends and I get boosted $20.00 monthly. Still saves me a lot. And although I will get the 3 HD/DVR boxes regardless, they say with their On Demand availability, it does not make too much sense. Is their service so bad? Am I missing something? Also, free install and activation of course. Help if you can!

I'd call Direct TV and let them know your situation and what Comcast offered you. Maybe you can get some credits to help you out. Best of luck!
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#7 OFFLINE   jab5325

jab5325

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

If you have Verizon Wireless and Verizon is your local phone company, you can get high-tier DSL for $35/month. I believe AT&T may offer a similar deal.

Another thing is to look into combining your cell/tv/internet. Many companies offer bundles with D*.

Comcast picture quality compared to D* is absolutely atrocious, at least in my area.

#8 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

They can't offer internet so that's their main disadvantage.

:computer: www.DIRECTV.com/internet

#9 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:35 AM

You need to do what's best for your financial situation, but there is no comparrison in terms of quality. I have Directv at home because I want it and Comcast at my apartment in Harrisburg because it's all I can get.

#10 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

iamq --

I live in Central NJ (Somerset Cty) and switched from DirecTV to Comcast about 20 months ago. I am very happy with Comcast, and would not consider returning to DirecTV.

* I have had no customer service issues with Comcast, while DirecTV constantly made mistakes on my bill, and gave me the run-around to fix them.

* I was offered a great intro price for Comcast, and told what the price would be after the promo period. After the promo period, I paid the price they had quoted. There was no fine print, mysterious charges, or CSR errors involved.

* SD picture quality on Comcast was much better then on DirecTV. I cannot compare HD because I did not have HD with DirecTV. But I have no complaints with Comcast's HD.

* The Comcast DVR has a small hard drive: 20 hours HD or 100 hours SD. Supposedly they are planning to add eSATA capability, but who knows when that will happen.

* The Comcast DVR has a lot fewer technical problems than my old DirecTV R15. My R15would miss recordings or screw up recordings all the time.

* Although I thought the Comcast remote control sucked when I got it, I have become used to it, and it is fine now.

* On-Demand is a lot more useful than I expected. We use on demand a lot to watch shows we missed and did not schedule to record.

#11 OFFLINE   NewView

NewView

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

Don't forget to add in the 3-7% price increases that Comcast is now adding twice a year. Their DVR is a joke . . . I've seen it, there is no comparison.

#12 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Seriously looking for someone with knowledge of picture quality in this area and how they compare. My main tv is a 55" LED/LCD and the other 2 are 1080p 37" sets, so p/q is of the upmost importance. Thanks for your comments.

As I posted this morning, I did not have HD with DirecTV so I can't make a direct comparison. I have a neighbor with DirecTV, and both he and I see no difference in HD quality at his house with DirecTV versus my house with Comcast. But we have different TVs, so it is not a fair comparison.

Since you already have Comcast hooked up to your house for internet, maybe you can ask them to turn on the TV signal so you can check the picture quality on your TVs. (Or, just hook up Comcast, with no commitment, and cancel if you don't like it.)

[Note to NewView, my price increases with Comcast (after my promotional pricing ended) has been a lot lower than the price increases DirecTV has implemented. And regarding Comcast's DVR, it is certainly a lot more stable than my old DirecTV R15 or my neighbor's DirecTV HD DVR.]

#13 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

:computer: www.DIRECTV.com/internet

Justin23. The only internet via partnership with D* here is Verizon DSL. I live way too far from a "'switch" so it is not adequate for us. Prior to me canceling our Verizon landline 2 months ago, a service tech who came out for a phone problem confirmed this. Said I was at the end of the line and way too far for decent service, especially during peak times.

#14 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

I would double check on the price after the promotion is over,Get someone else to quote the $20 increase in price,One lady I installed DirecTV for last year said after her 24 month $99 bundle deal was over the the price jumped to $234 a month.

Just last week I posted a thread FWIW. Compared Comcast, Dish and D*. Got pricing via phone twice from each provider. I decided and stated D* was the best offering. Well, the rep who came here offered a much better deal in writing. I am not knocking D*, just financial realities. And they (Comcast) had an excellent point. With their "On Demand" there is really not a lot of need to record when content is always available at any time.
Starz is also included with HBO with them. BUT.... if picture quality is not good, they will be so outta here!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...