Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1080p Computer Monitor as TV?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

I am finally getting HD. I currently don't have an HD TV in my bedroom, but am having an HD receiver installed. Is there any technical reason I can't just buy a HD monitor w/speakers and a HDMI hookup instead of a TV?

The tuner is in the receiver, right?

Sorry if this has been covered here, I did search...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

You should be good. I am using a 24 inch Sceptre monitor connected to my H21 via HDMI. I use the DVI and stereo audio to connect it to my computer.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

There are two kinds of monitors, computer only, and Computer w/ATSC tuners in them. While the ones with Tuners in them will work fine for computer and DirecTv, you need to specifically check the computer only monitor to make sure it supports the resolution/frequency of the DirecTv receiver, which would be 1920x1080 i/p at 60hz. Some computer monitors have much higher resolutions, and may not support or properly display the lower resolutions.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

And be advised that even though listed as "wide screen" most WS computer monitors are slightly squarer at a 16:10 aspect ratio instead of 16:9. So there will be some small degree of side cropping to a 16:9 HD picture.

There may be an optional 16:9 setting particularly on the computer monitors with ATSC tuners built in, but this will necessarily result in a slight letter-boxing with small black matte bars at the top and bottom of the picture of course.

#5 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

I've thought about doing this, and the main disadvantages I thought about were:

1. No volume control via remote.
2. No ON/OFF via remote.
3. Limited inputs (only 1 hdmi, zero composite/component/s-video/RF) will limit compatibility in the future.
4. No sleep timer. Very useful in a bedroom TV.

I think the extra 50 bucks between a 24" monitor and a 24" TV buys you quite a bit. And you can probably step all the way up to a 32" LCD for ~125 more than the 24" monitor.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

I have this in the bedroom and I love it:

http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=3920261

It was $209 shipped to my door. I think I figured out the resolution to actually be between the specs of 720 and 1080 but I am really enjoying it hooked up to an H24. Especially for the price, I couldn't find anything near that for that quality for that price, and this has a 3 year manufacturer warranty. If you can find one, I highly recommend it! :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#7 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

...I think the extra 50 bucks between a 24" monitor and a 24" TV buys you quite a bit...

I agree. And there doesn't really seem to be any downside, or competing argument. IOW, there is very little that a computer monitor can offer as a DVR video monitor that a regular garden-variety HDTV can't offer.

And I am considering just the opposite: I have a 22" 1080p Vizio TV that has a SVGA input. If my computer monitor ever dies, I'm moving the Vizio in place as a computer monitor replacement.

I also wonder if the gamma and other proc control setup on a computer monitor will do real video justice.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#8 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

I have a Dell 27" Computer monitor in my "office." It also has HDMI & Component inputs (no tuner or speakers) and supports PIP for the component input. I got the OEM $10 speaker attachment off eBay for it for sound. Works great with my HR20. The HD is beautiful on it and if I use component instead of HDMI I can put the TV input on PIP and do both.

#9 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback! I found a HP 27" HDMI monitor for $292 and the only reason I have not jumped on the deal is the lack of a remote for power/volume.

I think I will just have to hold out for a great deal on a TV or monitor with the remote. Thanks again!

Edit: Or I could just get a clapper :-)

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback! I found a HP 27" HDMI monitor for $292...

That's not a bad price. But if you are leaning towards a true HDTV I think you could probably also find a nice 1080p Insignia or Vizio at about that price.

Be sure that you understand that you will need to sit 3.5 feet away or closer to fully resolve HD resolution on a screen that size.

http://myhometheater...calculator.html
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

I agree. And there doesn't really seem to be any downside, or competing argument. IOW, there is very little that a computer monitor can offer as a DVR video monitor that a regular garden-variety HDTV can't offer.

And I am considering just the opposite: I have a 22" 1080p Vizio TV that has a SVGA input. If my computer monitor ever dies, I'm moving the Vizio in place as a computer monitor replacement.

I also wonder if the gamma and other proc control setup on a computer monitor will do real video justice.

A couple years ago I bought a Vizio LCD that I think was about 37". Kinda crappy as a TV, but great as a computer monitor. I'm sure they are making better sets now. Spent a good bit of money on it and, since I was dissatisfied with the set when used as a TV, I took it back. But for a computer monitor, it was really good. Just too much money for a monitor. At the time.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback! I found a HP 27" HDMI monitor for $292 and the only reason I have not jumped on the deal is the lack of a remote for power/volume.

I think I will just have to hold out for a great deal on a TV or monitor with the remote. Thanks again!

Pretty sure I've seen 26" HDTV's at Costco for around that price. Maybe even a bit less.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:43 PM

TigerDirect has two HDTV's one 27" and one 28" for $299
Walmart has a 26" for $249 and a 22" Sony Bravia for $269.

So they are out there in that same price range.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

Too bad you didn't buy an HP computer, mine came with a remote that works on the monitor. Of course, I didn't buy the monitor...

Wanna buy a remote for an HP monitor?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...