Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anybody jealous of Direct tv's whole house dvr distribution ?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mchouse

mchouse

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

I wish the would come up with something similar on Dish .

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

It is pretty great :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

It's cool... but I'm not really jealous. AT&T U-Verse has that feature too, and it really was low on my list of selling points.

I'd take DirecTV long before I'd take U-Verse, of course, but the MRV wouldn't be a selling point.

I agree, though, that it is a very cool thing... especially if you need to switch to another room and want to continue watching something you already started... but honestly, this is a feature we've never had before and I work around not having that capability.

I wouldn't sneeze at if if Dish were to add... but I don't feel like we are missing out just on that.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,902 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

I'd have to buy a bigger house and more HDTVs for it to be worth anything to me. Then I'd have to pay more in taxes on the bigger home.

I'm happy with what DISH provides.

#5 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

This is the first I've heard anything, do you happen to have a link with any details?

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#6 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

I don't think jealous is the right term. Curious and Interested, definitely. Feeling left out, we'll have to see what DISH starts offering and Sling isn't it. I have had a whole house solution since 1995, but am always susceptible to new technology and loving true DLNA. Although the new DTV system is very interesting and at the moment I would switch if it were innovative.

But . . . I'm comfy for the moment.

#7 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

AT&T U-Verse has that feature too, and it really was low on my list of selling points.

The major difference is that DirecTV allows you to have multiple DVRs sharing recordings. 2 DirecTV HD DVRs effectively gives you a 4 HD tuner "super DVR" with 1TB of capacity (or 3 for 6 tuners and 1.5TB of capacity). U-verse's THDVR works really well, but you're still at the mercy of a single DVR unit with relatively small capacity, and 2 HD streams (3HD is still pending for people close to the VRAD).

#8 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:29 AM

One of the reasons I haven't upgraded to a ViP922 yet, is the missing TV Everywhere Adapter. I like the Direct TV, system for distribution. I don't see myself using it that much, I would use it, just not sure how much.

Can't see jumping over for it, as to many other missing features, that I use every single day, and football season is right around the corner, you will pry my PiP, and Swap feature from my dead hands. I have a 722 and a 722k, each has a brand new, 2TB drive attached, so each DVR can do the Job of 2 Direct DVR's.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

The major difference is that DirecTV allows you to have multiple DVRs sharing recordings. 2 DirecTV HD DVRs effectively gives you a 4 HD tuner "super DVR" with 1TB of capacity (or 3 for 6 tuners and 1.5TB of capacity). U-verse's THDVR works really well, but you're still at the mercy of a single DVR unit with relatively small capacity, and 2 HD streams (3HD is still pending for people close to the VRAD).

True... and that's just one reason why DirecTV is a MUCH better choice than U-Verse.

In fact, you kind of illustrate my point.

U-Verse has multi-room DVR... but because of their limited bandwidth and the inability to add more than the 2 (or 3) simultaneous HD tuners to the "network"... that MRV option is not as appealing at U-Verse.

With DirecTV, however... MRV is gravy on the meal that is all their other features.

Similarly... pretty much everything else about Dish is better than U-Verse... so the lack of MRV at Dish doesn't make me jealous...

Comparing Dish to DirecTV... not considering channel "counts" and subscription packages... MRV by itself isn't enough of a difference maker to me to seal a deal. I'd be more likely to make my choice of Dish vs DirecTV on the prices, upgrade offers, and channels available... then if I liked DirecTV better the MRV would be a bonus.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

Dish offers "Sling" right now, but I'm sure that's just a start. It only makes sense for Dish (actually all providers) to move to a central server-type of setup. The set-top box wouldn't be much more than a meda player and could be, like the Netflix player, built into the TV or another device.

I'm not jealous of MRV, though. We have DVRs on each on my TVs so we record whatever we're going to watch on whichever DVR. I don't recall any case where we were disappointed that had to watch something in a specific room.

-- Roger

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

[quote name='Stewart Vernon']True... and that's just one reason why DirecTV is a MUCH better choice than U-Verse.

In fact, you kind of illustrate my point.

U-Verse has multi-room DVR... but because of their limited bandwidth and the inability to add more than the 2 (or 3) simultaneous HD tuners to the "network"... that MRV option is not as appealing at U-Verse.

With DirecTV, however... MRV is gravy on the meal that is all their other features.

Similarly... pretty much everything else about Dish is better than U-Verse... so the lack of MRV at Dish doesn't make me jealous...

Comparing Dish to DirecTV... not considering channel "counts" and subscription packages... MRV by itself isn't enough of a difference maker to me to seal a deal. I'd be more likely to make my choice of Dish vs DirecTV on the prices, upgrade offers, and channels available... then if I liked DirecTV better the MRV would be a bonus.[/Q

Plus when you're recording an HD event with U-verse you can only watch SD.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

Nah, Dish already provides me with a "whole house DVR" it's called a ViP622. Of course my whole house has only two tv's and two people in it so what more would I need? Actually at the moment I still have a 622 & 522 so i've kinda got overkill going on, but the 522 is going back to Dish soon, no real need to pay the extra $17 for it.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:22 AM

This is the first I've heard anything, do you happen to have a link with any details?

Here's a link to the 1st look, might be a bit out of date, http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=171258

Then there's the entire forum at http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137 for Connected Home which will cover DirecTV Ethernet over Coax Adapters (DECA) which allows for the use of coax to network the receivers and Whole Home (MRV) viewing.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

Nah, Dish already provides me with a "whole house DVR" it's called a ViP622. Of course my whole house has only two tv's and two people in it so what more would I need?

625 instead, but agreed totally.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#15 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

I just found something to be real jelous of. Okay if you are new to D* and signing up and just happen to live in a MPEG4 only market then you get your equipment upgraded to HD for free. According to the tool on the site you can get a HD DVR and 4 standard receivers that would have to be upgraded to HD receivers all for free. How nice would that be. 6 total tuners 1 of which is a DVR that drives the entire house and all of it for free. Cant beat that deal anywhere. Of course you would have to confirm that with D* but I dont see them being able to change it just because you have to have HD equipment.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#16 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

Nah, Dish already provides me with a "whole house DVR" it's called a ViP622. Of course my whole house has only two tv's and two people in it so what more would I need? Actually at the moment I still have a 622 & 522 so i've kinda got overkill going on, but the 522 is going back to Dish soon, no real need to pay the extra $17 for it.

625 instead, but agreed totally.

I take it that your 2nd TV's are SD sets, would your answer be the same if both your TV's were HD but you had to watch SD signals since that's what the TV2 output is?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#17 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

I'm going with the MRV, No Thanks crowd.

I positively do not want the two DVRs connected together. VIP612 & VIP622
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#18 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

I just found something to be real jelous of. Okay if you are new to D* and signing up and just happen to live in a MPEG4 only market then you get your equipment upgraded to HD for free. According to the tool on the site you can get a HD DVR and 4 standard receivers that would have to be upgraded to HD receivers all for free. How nice would that be. 6 total tuners 1 of which is a DVR that drives the entire house and all of it for free. Cant beat that deal anywhere. Of course you would have to confirm that with D* but I dont see them being able to change it just because you have to have HD equipment.

:eek2: I wish I could pull of a deal like that here!
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#19 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

I'm a DTV guy, but I'm confused by the premise of this thread. Based on some recent Dish commercials I thought you had MRV before we did. I'm referring to the chubby guy who said, "Start watching in this room... especially handy in the mornings..." or something like that.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,902 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

It is similar in DISH MPEG4 markets ... one can get six HD tuners for free. They come in three receiver boxes, but it is six HD tuners. One can be upgraded to DVR for free (upgrading the other two costs $100 each).

And Free HD for life continues to be available on ALL DISH packages. Not just the top level.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...